Father Facing Felony Charges After Shooting Two Men Attempting to Kidnap His Son - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Father Facing Felony Charges After Shooting Two Men Attempting to Kidnap His Son

Member #
    Liked
    939 times
    I just hope someone on the Jury understands Jury nullification, You are not required to convict somebody based on the letter of the law if You believe they acted justifiably.
    To the gun grabbers:
    What kind of malicious intent do You have towards Me that makes You fear the fact that I may have a firearm.

Member #
    Liked
    32224 times
    So if the constitution has nothing about taking away criminal's rights, do criminals in prison have the right to free assembly? Losing rights is part and parcel of committing crime. Don't want to lose them? Don't commit crime.

This guy had every right to defend his son. No question. But his past choices ruled out some means that the rest of us have available to them. It's pretty hard to abduct a child when a baseball bat is rearranging your cervical vertebrae.

Having said all that, one of the biggest problems with our legal system today is how many silly, petty crimes are felonies. That needs to be fixed. But not by unrealistic policies like pretending serving time erases history or restructures one's judgment and predilections for the better.

And his gun had the serial numbers filed off. Back to jail, buckaroo.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    1531 times
    Therein lies the rub. NFA, I don't think it should exist. I have a shotgun with no serial numbers, and it's "legal". I'll thnak the crown someday. How much government intrusion are we to tolerate?
    RScottie likes this.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    22097 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MoKen View Post
    Therein lies the rub. NFA, I don't think it should exist. I have a shotgun with no serial numbers, and it's "legal". I'll thnak the crown someday. How much government intrusion are we to tolerate?
    I completely agree that the NFA should not exist. But in regards to your shotgun not having a serial number, that was most likely due to never having one. The one the felon had in the OP had a serial number that was defaced and/or obliterated intentionally. I have an AR with no serial number and it's 100% legal. The law doesn't say having no serial number makes it illegal, it says the alteration, destruction or removal of a serial number is illegal.
    Also, destroyed serial numbers can be recovered due to changes in the metal from the serialization process.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    32224 times
    Yes, I've seen some legal guns for sale that didn't have serial numbers.

If I were interested in a .47 Magnum Longhorn revolver, and there was one legally for sale with a serial number and one legally for sale without it, I'd pick the one with the serial number every time. For the exact same reasons I'd never buy a car without a VIN, and if I built a car from scratch I'd put a VIN on it.

Your last question is the crux of the matter. You either live in anarchy, by the law of the jungle, or you deal with some government intrusion. We need and should tolerate a lot less than we have now - magazine limits in some states, background check ideas that are getting so silly sheriffs are saying they won't enforce them... but allowing people who've committed violent crime or serious felonies to own firearms after doing time is so silly that advocating for it hurts the cause of defending the second amendment.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    1531 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    I completely agree that the NFA should not exist. But in regards to your shotgun not having a serial number, that was most likely due to never having one. The one the felon had in the OP had a serial number that was defaced and/or obliterated intentionally. I have an AR with no serial number and it's 100% legal. The law doesn't say having no serial number makes it illegal, it says the alteration, destruction or removal of a serial number is illegal.
    Also, destroyed serial numbers can be recovered due to changes in the metal from the serialization process.
    And to think prior to 1968 S/N weren't required. hmmmmm What has it helped? My pop was deputy sheriff when GCA 1968 happened and he saw it as ridiculous.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Member #
    Liked
    1531 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    ... but allowing people who've committed violent crime or serious felonies to own firearms after doing time is so silly that advocating for it hurts the cause of defending the second amendment.
    You might read my previous post about "none violent" offenders".

Member #
    Liked
    6578 times
    I believe that one a person has finished their time, they should be allowed the right to defend them selves.
    MoKen, DeltaBravoKS and RScottie like this.

Member #
    Liked
    22821 times
    Guess he shouldn't have committed a previous felony
    and then be dumb enough to have a gun around the house
    that mysteriously had the serial numbers removed.
    BigBlue and Rotorflyr like this.
    Remember:
    Life is short.
    Make sure you spend as much time as possible
    on the internet arguing with strangers about politics.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    He was only protecting his son from being taken away by the kidnappers.
    So i see no reason facing the Felony

Thanks
    MoKen and RScottie like this.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links