If you're ever involved in a shooting what you say online might be used against you
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: If you're ever involved in a shooting what you say online might be used against you

Member #
    Liked
    3616 times

If you're ever involved in a shooting what you say online might be used against you

Used against as in trying to show intent. He also gave an initial statement and then allegedly a different statement later on about the direction of the ATV rider. The article isn't clear if the online posts were before or after the shooting either, or how far back in time they went. (maybe years?) Also the article doesn't give the actual statements, only the opinion of the prosecutor as to what they imply.

The charges stem from an incident in February 2018 on Route 93 in South Boston, in which a large group of motorbikes, ATVs, dirt bikes and mopeds drove illegally drove onto the highway.

Trooper Sheehan was one of 10 Mass. State Troopers responding to the scene.

According to a prosecutor, after one operator broke away from the troopers’ grasp, the trooper took out his Smith and Wesson M&P patrol rifle as a show of force and fired twice at an ATV, hitting the person who was driving it in the foot.

During the investigation, the prosecutor said Trooper Sheehan changed his story about what happened.

"His original version of events was that the ATV was driving directly towards him," Assistant District Attorney John Verner said. "He later switched it to he was driving diagonally towards him."

As prosecutors present their case, they are going beyond the physical evidence of what happened that day.

They also intend to use Sheehan’s comments on social media, on a site called Mass. Cops, where

Sheehan posted as 'Big Irish' to show the trooper’s state of mind and motive at the time of the incident.

The Suffolk County DA saying in court records, "many of the posts are racially tinged, disparaging of women, promote or condone violence or excessive force, suggest 'getting creative' when finding ways to stop citizens and a lack of respect for people and human life."

Trooper Sheehan is suspended while the case works its way through the courts.

He is released on personal recognizance and his due back in court in December.
    https://www.whio.com/news/national/t...zIOttllmhDmMI/
    777Driver likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    9094 times
    Maybe Trooper Sheehan should have left his rifle in the squad.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    32142 times
    Of course the things you say can be used against you. How could anyone think they'd be ignored?

And we're talking about a police officer here. Changing the story hurts his credibility, especially if it's about an aspect of the facts that affect how necessary the shooting was.
    jtg452, pegasus and CDR_Glock like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27265 times
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?”

By all means never make a statement to anyone, anywhere without first discussing said statement with a competent attorney.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    7703 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    You have the right to remain silent...
    But few have the ability.

Let the lawyer do the talking. Make no statements, declarations or even discuss the weather without a lawyer present. If you are involved in a shooting, then the police are no longer your friends.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Two words-"Law Yer."
    jtg452 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    22704 times
    I have observed that on the internet and especially social media sites it is impossible for some
    people to remain rational or even in control at times.
    As for me? People just look at me and say, "Oh look at that poor old man. He's completely lost his faculties".
    No, no I haven't. It's part of my plan and I intend to use it to the fullest.
    Remember:
    Life is short.
    Make sure you spend as much time as possible
    on the internet arguing with strangers about politics.

Member #
    Liked
    1148 times
    "He later switched it to: He was driving diagonally towards him."

How do you do that?
    GhostHorse likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31439 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacher39 View Post
    I have observed that on the internet and especially social media sites it is impossible for some
    people to remain rational or even in control at times.
    As for me? People just look at me and say, "Oh look at that poor old man. He's completely lost his faculties".
    No, no I haven't. It's part of my plan and I intend to use it to the fullest.

Boy, he don't know the half of it!
    Rickenbacher39 likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    32142 times
    I was going to say, the over achievement award goes to...
    Rickenbacher39 likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links