What would be your choice and why?

View Poll Results: Which would you choose and why?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger stainless SR1911 Koenig Gov. Model .45acp

17 56.67%
  • Kimber stainless target long slide Gov model. 45acp

8 26.67%
  • Wilson custom Beretta Centurion 9mm

5 16.67%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: What would be your choice and why?

Member #
    Liked
    6163 times

Question What would be your choice and why?

I am in the market for another handgun, I have narrowed it down to 3 different guns, and I would like to know which you would buy and why you would buy it. Which ever of the three that I end up buying will be used as a range gun to punch a little paper and do a little plinking now and then. Any actual experience that anyone has with any of these three guns as well as reviews or other things you may have heard is especially appreciated.

The three guns I am considering are...

Ruger stainless SR1911 Koenig government model in .45acp
    Kimber stainless target 1911 long slide in .45acp.
    Wilson custom Beretta Centurian in 9mm.

Which one would you choose and why would you choose it?

Don
    777Driver likes this.
    I see gun control as waiting in an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff when we should be building a fence at the top!

Member #
    Liked
    997 times
    Wilson custom Beretta Centurian in 9mm DAO that has been converted to a frame safety and we have our winner.
    Other wise the Kimber.

Member #
    Liked
    11313 times
    I have handled a Wilson Centurion, and it is one of the best 92 variants. But the trigger while better than most 92's is not as good as a 1911. The longslide Kimber is an unknown to me, but the Koenig Ruger 1911 is excellent pistol. I don;t own one, but did get to handle a few Koenig Rugers and they are sweet 1911's. Oh and I am jealous you get to choose from such a premium list, you lucky guy!
    BangBang likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2315 times
    I would choose Ruger because they have some of the best customer service in the industry and their firearms tend to be both rugged and reliable.

Unfortunately, my employment history in sales and customer service has left me somewhat jaded, as has personal experience having gotten burned after paying a premium for quality, so I tend to gravitate towards companies who offer products of good quality but offer outstanding customer service over those which supposedly offer top notch products, but Heaven help you if you get a bad egg because the company has no experience with customer service and has an extremely arrogant staff who is so proud of their products that should anything go wrong they are going to give you the third degree, because surely the issue must be your fault because their products absolutely cannot fail, their tooling doesn't wear out, their smiths don't make mistakes, they don't get distracted, won't have off days, and their factory apparently exists in some parallel universe where nothing ever goes wrong either.

Admittedly, I've never dealt with Kimber nor Wilson Combat, nor have I ever heard anything negative about their customer service, but I'd just feel safer with Ruger.
    BangBang and Desperado like this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19686 times
    I voted Ruger, because - Ruger. Their intent is to make it right, every time, and if they don't . . . they'll make it right.

Member #
    Liked
    1653 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    I would choose Ruger because they have some of the best customer service in the industry and their firearms tend to be both rugged and reliable.

Unfortunately, my employment history in sales and customer service has left me somewhat jaded, as has personal experience having gotten burned after paying a premium for quality, so I tend to gravitate towards companies who offer products of good quality but offer outstanding customer service over those which supposedly offer top notch products, but Heaven help you if you get a bad egg because the company has no experience with customer service and has an extremely arrogant staff who is so proud of their products that should anything go wrong they are going to give you the third degree, because surely the issue must be your fault because their products absolutely cannot fail, their tooling doesn't wear out, their smiths don't make mistakes, they don't get distracted, won't have off days, and their factory apparently exists in some parallel universe where nothing ever goes wrong either.

Admittedly, I've never dealt with Kimber nor Wilson Combat, nor have I ever heard anything negative about their customer service, but I'd just feel safer with Ruger.
    You just reminded me of the story of the Brit who broke the front axle on his Rolls Royce, in Italy. He notified RR and flew home .Then later, his brother drove the Rolls home for him and after three months and no bill for the axle, he contacted the factory and inquired for his bill. He was told, "Sir, I'm sure there must be some mistake. Nothing ever breaks on a Rolls Royce."
    BangBang and Backpacker like this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    7890 times
    I had to vote the Ruger SR1911 myself.
    Kimber seems, at least to me, to be full of themselves about their firearms. I never met one I could hate, even their revolvers.
    And the Wilson Custom 9mm, to me, is just another 9mm. To me, it is like putting a fresh Maaco paint job on a taxi and passing it off as a limousine.
    twolfe55 and BangBang like this.
    "Our indulgence wore out with you A LONG time ago".
    - Rep. Jim Jordan to Rep. Adam Schiff about the "Impeachment Inquiry"

As has that of the majority of Americans.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20795 times
    I go Ruger. I already have their LW Commander and very happy with it. I may add a Ruger SR 1911 in 10mm one day.

No way would I touch a Wilson custom Beretta - a whole lot of expense for a gun that likely wouldn’t outshoot a Ruger or Kimber.
    BangBang likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33443 times
    I vote Ruger. I’m something of a fan. Of the ones I’ve owned, they’ve been flawless and accurate. I guess it’s the reputation that sells me.
    BangBang and daytonaredeye like this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    2315 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash60601 View Post
    You just reminded me of the story of the Brit who broke the front axle on his Rolls Royce, in Italy. He notified RR and flew home .Then later, his brother drove the Rolls home for him and after three months and no bill for the axle, he contacted the factory and inquired for his bill. He was told, "Sir, I'm sure there must be some mistake. Nothing ever breaks on a Rolls Royce."
    Yep. Sadly, most luxury brands are like that, which is hilarious considering that many luxury brands aren't exactly renowned for their outstanding longevity/build quality. In fact, in most cases, (particularly in the electronic and automotive industry) luxury products tend to be textbook examples of planned obsolescence, intentionally engineered to favor replacement over maintenance or repair, yet still the customer service representatives of said companies tend to be adamant about their products being nigh indestructible and therefore if something has broken then it must have been due to careless mishandling or outright neglect on the user's part.

The only thing worse than having to deal with said luxury brand customer service representatives as a consumer is having to deal with them as a customer service representative for a business who supplies their products on behalf of dissatisfied customers, in which case all plausible deniability flies straight out the window once you receive mass reports of such issues from multiple customers, yet still they hold fast. So then you have no choice but to move it up the chain on your end, only to have some executive/manager scold you for actually doing your job and expecting them to do theirs, because apparently the corporation as a whole would rather just continue to exchange faulty products indefinitely at the cost of customer satisfaction than risk upsetting the luxury brand executives by reporting an issue with their products, eventhough it might be an issue with a particular production run which the luxury brand might actually appreciate being made aware of.
    BangBang likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links