12 Gauge For Home Defense? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: 12 Gauge For Home Defense?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27022 times
    I ordered a good selection of #1 and #4 buck to try out of my Mossberg 930SPX and the 590A1. I'll take them to the range and see what patterns the best for my uses.
    olfarhors likes this.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    7054 times
    alternating #4 buck and slug.
    easy likes this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Member #
    Liked
    1316 times
    12 Gauge For Home Defense? You betcha'!

There was a Police/BG gun battle at 0130 in Burlington, Iowa last week. No officers were injured in the fray. One BG died, the other was screaming in pain, as he waited for EMTs to arrive. Two houses were struck with multiple 9mm rounds. One bedroom was pierced twice. These two bullets each went through one exterior wall, then out the other. Over penetration is something to consider.

With a 12 ga., chance for making a devastating hit is greatly enhanced for most folks. A shotgun can be yielded by even the most diminutive stature. Watch a youth trap team in action.

Ammo selection for a 12 ga. is unlimited and can be loaded for small game birds on up to African elephants. I'd think an ounce of any sized lead would do a number on an indoor BG and not ventilate the neighbor's house in the process..
    BigBlue likes this.
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    19572 times
    I have a Mossberg 500, 20" barrel. The gun holds 7 rounds in the magazine and 6 in the side saddle. It didn't really get much use for the first several years I owned it. Then a few months ago I took 3, 1 day training classes with the shotgun. Those classes were quite the eye opener on the versatility of the defensive shotgun. Learning how to actually use the bead sight was awesome! Great over all learning experience!

Shortly before I took the class I removed the ATI pistol grip/adjustable stock and replaced them with the Magpul SGA stock and the MOE M-lok forend. I like this setup a lot. The gun is setup to use a sling with QD attachments and I have a light mounted on the forend.

The basic Federal 00 buck patterned pretty tight out to about 10yds and then starts to open a bit as distance increases. I live in a mobile home and think/hope the 00 is ok for use as I think the pellets will not go all the way through my walls, cross the street and go through any neighbors walls. Hopefully? I should buy some #4 as many folks here are using and give it a try.

I'm getting long winded here but want to add this equipment choice issue I learned. At first I used a simple piece of Magpul picatinny rail to attach the light on the M-Lok forend. That short piece of pic rail has a VERY blunt end on it, right where my thumb was placed to run the light and even while simply gripping the gun. I replaced that pic rail with the cantilevered pic rail for the second class and all was good after that!

Member #
    Liked
    7621 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 230JHP View Post
    alternating #4 buck and slug.
    Unless I want deep penetration, I don't see the logic of slugs for home defense. I keep a couple in one of the shell carriers in the buttstock just in case I need them.

The advantage of a shotgun is multiple projectiles going out with every trigger pull. Slugs take way that advantage. If I was going with a single projectile, then I would use a rifle or PCC. I can reload a rifle quicker, they can hold more rounds and they are more accurate.
    olfarhors and GreenWolf70 like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    26966 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
    12 Gauge For Home Defense? You betcha'!

There was a Police/BG gun battle at 0130 in Burlington, Iowa last week. No officers were injured in the fray. One BG died, the other was screaming in pain, as he waited for EMTs to arrive. Two houses were struck with multiple 9mm rounds. One bedroom was pierced twice. These two bullets each went through one exterior wall, then out the other. Over penetration is something to consider.

WE (fire) had a drive by at an older trailer Park on Bankhead hwy, the trailers set perpendicular to the road so they could get more in the park.
    anyway some nice people drove by one night and lite the end of the trailer up with 45 acp, they were FMJ rounds.
    we found projectiles laying in the floor for about 3 rooms deep.
    the trailer was I imagine about 15-20 foot from the road way to the front of the trailer. so yea penetration can be a lot farther than you might suspect.
    have also seen the same in the older wood frame houses that had plaster and lath walls, projectiles went through the front wall , the interior wall, a wooden door and another interior wall before losing speed and falling onto the floor. again a FMJ in the 9 MM flavor.
    course you never know if or how many studs they hit?
    one thing about working in the HOOD is that you see a lot of things to learn about gunshot wounds and ballistics!---
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    darbo and GreenWolf70 like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    26966 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Unless I want deep penetration, I don't see the logic of slugs for home defense. I keep a couple in one of the shell carriers in the buttstock just in case I need them.

The advantage of a shotgun is multiple projectiles going out with every trigger pull. Slugs take way that advantage. If I was going with a single projectile, then I would use a rifle or PCC. I can reload a rifle quicker, they can hold more rounds and they are more accurate.

AGREED!
    more holes are MORE BETTER!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    2287 times
    I have my Mossberg 590 Shockwave 12 Gauge propped up in a corner in my bedroom loaded with 00 buck. It's hard to imagine a realistic scenario in which more would be required.

trooperc7 likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    7054 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post

I live in the country. Home defense might be inside the house, it might be outside the house.

I don't plan to have time to put a lot of thought into, 'Do I go for number of holes and spread, or do I go for penetration and range?'

If I may refer you to another thread:

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/f...criminals.html

I don't see the logic of planning to wake up in the middle of the night and trying to decide which of two or three choices of firearm to make.

But, that's just me. What works for you, works for you.
    slong115 likes this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Member #
    Liked
    4179 times
    I use 00 & #4 buck, 1x10 round mag each. 10 rounds of one or the other better do the trick. I have slugs, but don't see the need in the house. Concrete block home, over penetration will be of no issue for neighboring homes.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    darbo, pegasus and JimmyA like this.
    When people lose their way and begin to vote for their own yokes and chains and suddenly we’re all wearing them, when Government turns tyrannical and the light of liberty is being extinguished.... our 2nd amendment is our ONLY hope.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links