12 Gauge For Home Defense? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: 12 Gauge For Home Defense?

Member #
    Liked
    5220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    4 Buck 2 3/4" Federal Premium Personal Defense Shotshell with Flight Control wad.

Loaded into Mossberg 500. I have the combo unit and it currently resides in this configuration and is easily accessible.

^^^ That's pretty much the exact configuration I have my Mav 88 in. I keep it in a bedside scabbard. I do have a Streamlight attached to it for unwanted late night bipedal visitors.
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Undercover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol Grip - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    26963 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    For quite some time I have been using a 9mm or .45 acp as my nightstand gun, but as in most cases a handgun is used to enable you to get to your long gun. In my case it would depend on the level of the threat so I keep a loaded AR and a 12 gauge shotgun in my unlocked safe nearby when I'm sleeping. Many people rely on a shotgun for home defense and surely a good argument can be made for its effectiveness in that circumstance. A big plus is that it's less likely to over penetrate and hit a neighbor's home. That's not a huge factor for me as my closest neighbor is about 500 yards away, but I still load my cylinder bore 12 gauge shotgun with #4 or #1 buckshot. Any in home encounter, in my case at least, is likely to be 7-10 yards or less. For those of you that choose to depend on a 12 gauge, what ammo do you load it with and why did you choose that type?
    exactly what you are using my friend!
    IF # 1 or #4 buck shot doesn't stop a human being then just drop to your knees and pray for devine intervention.
    now when I work at my volunteer Road block duty where i shoot cars, trucks and buses I go with 00 or 000 Buck.
    but for breathing things the #1 and #4 makes sense to me, plus it makes more holes that blood comes out of than 00-000 Buckshot.
    jtg452 and BigBlue like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    2200 times
    I agree with the choice of a shotgun but mine is a 20-gauge Winchester Defender pump that has resided in the corner of our bedroom, next to the night stand for about 30 years. Right now it is loaded with RIO #1 buck (9 pellets). It works well on 4-footed nighttime critters as well.

I wonder how many people have actually fired a 12-gauge inside a home? I did a long time ago inside a mock-up that a friend had created. Without hearing protection my ears rang for about 3 days and 3 foot of flame came out of the barrel. That'll hurt your night vision. It wasn't a pleasant experience and was never repeated.
    olfarhors, pegasus, darbo and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26963 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cassrh View Post
    I keep a shorty loaded with #4 Buck beside the bed and in the shop. On the pattern issue, I wonder how many folks have ever patterned their shotguns - instead just assuming they all are the same ? Bet very few. When I did my 870, I was surprised at the result - VERY narrow, tall vertical pattern.
    INDEED!
    the old wives tale and assumption that you can't miss with a shotgun is just that!
    they don't spread at closer range near as much as TV says!--LOL
    pegasus, jtg452, darbo and 1 others like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    I keep #4 ,# 3 loaded up and ready to go in my 12 and 20 gauge defense shotguns here at home, mainly due to a couple other homes being close to mine. Both shotguns also have some #1 or # 2 ready to go as backup.

When i head out to camp , where the closest house is 1/2 a mile or more it's buck or #1 on tap , with slugs available on the shotguns(have seen bears tracks there before). Also when i go out to camp, i add a sling which gives me about 20+ rounds as backup.
    Last edited by stuz92; 09-20-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    "All right, they're on our left,they're on our right,they're in front of us,they're behind us.They can't get away this time."
    "You don't hurt 'em, if you don't hit 'em"
    Col. Chesty Puller,1St Marine Div.(1950)

Member #
    Liked
    7597 times
    I went with 2 3/4 because it meant 1 more round in the tube than 3 inch. The 3 inch also has an higher recoil, so that translates into slower recovery and follow up shots. Since I'm using a semi auto instead of a pump, all I'm waiting on is for the front sight to call back onto target.

Number 1 Buck is .30". Winchester and Remington's versions are 16 lead balls- all of which my 1100 can keep in the black of a Hoppe's 100 yard rifle target at the max indoor range I will face with the Cylinder bore choke tube in place. The Federal #1 Buck is 20 plated .30" round ball and the pattern is only slightly larger but has 25% more projectiles. If I can find it, I buy 3 boxes of it.
    BigBlue and olfarhors like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    8970 times
    I also live in the country, but my over-penetration concern is my own house - drywall. I have a Stoeger Coach Gun. Cylindar and Improved, left and right respenctively. #4 Left, 2 aught Right. That should get me to my AR or .45.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    5352 times
    I have 12 gauge and it's loaded with 00 buck. I know it will work, yes over penetration may be an issue.... but it's what I have here and can find without ordering.
    loudviking and BigBlue like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7597 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
    I have 12 gauge and it's loaded with 00 buck. I know it will work, yes over penetration may be an issue.... but it's what I have here and can find without ordering.
    I hit the local sporting goods stores around the beginning of deer season. One of them will always have some #1Buck, the only question is which manufacturer.
    BigBlue and CaptainMorgan like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26984 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ETF View Post
    I agree with the choice of a shotgun but mine is a 20-gauge Winchester Defender pump that has resided in the corner of our bedroom, next to the night stand for about 30 years. Right now it is loaded with RIO #1 buck (9 pellets). It works well on 4-footed nighttime critters as well.

I wonder how many people have actually fired a 12-gauge inside a home? I did a long time ago inside a mock-up that a friend had created. Without hearing protection my ears rang for about 3 days and 3 foot of flame came out of the barrel. That'll hurt your night vision. It wasn't a pleasant experience and was never repeated.
    Just imagine what it would be like from the other end of the barrel.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links