Colt - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Colt

Member #
    Liked
    266 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    Between poor business decision over the last 40 to 50 years, charging a premium for the "Colt" name on their firearms, and the super saturated AR 15 market, it was just a matter of time before they fell out of the AR 15 market they created. Sady, Colt self inflicted this injury.

As a friend says about Colt: "They have done more self inflicted damage than any other major firearm manufacturer over the last 40 to 50 years. The fact that they are still living after all of this is a miracle."
    I think that you are right, they have been living on their past glory, and I don't think that they can make a come back. They will become a maker of SAA .45's and M1911's, etc.
    I bought a Colt M1911 almost 40 years ago, because it was the premium brand. But today, a Taurus, a S&W or a Ruger would do fine; and they might be better made than Colt.

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    As I recall, Colt bought the licensing to manufacture the AR15 from Armalite (AR) many years ago. Then they marketed their version as what became known as the "best" or "elite" rifle. Fine.
    and I do believe they bought the lever action from Henry was it?
    the 1911 developer was Browning, and I am sure quite a few other ones that don't come to mind right now.
    Nothing wrong with a company seeing a great idea and getting control of it, but all the intellect isn't under the Colt Roof for sure.
    I like Colt and their products (at least most of them) but to me they are over priced.
    as a interesting visual I get from a lot of this is so many here chirp about buying taurus to save money and get so much for your money now seem to think its OK ,alright to pay premium for a weapon cause it has COLT on the side??
    Desperado likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I do not believe it was a decision to bow to anti-gun forces. If no one was buying that product why would they continue to make it?
    Besides, they could start-up production again just as quickly.
    olfarhors likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16775 times
    Just read this on TFB. Looks like Colt got a big military contract and most, if not all, AR manufacturing will be going for that;
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...olt-continues/
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    31774 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    As they become more rare they will be not unlike the storied Python ... extremely expensive if you come across one. Well there are plenty of alternatives to the Python.
    The Python's reputation is based on the amount of individual fitting and polishing by people - the best, most highly respected people - who'd been building revolvers for Colt for years. Colt didn't pay much attention to cost when making the Python. I'm sure their ARs are fine - I've been issued a few during my military service - but Pythons they aint.
    olfarhors likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    6426 times
    just to many company's making a popular gun. Bet the left will play it up big. Look what we accomplished.
    darbo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    19545 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    Not around here they don't, what the officer that qualify with a AR have here are the semi auto version.
    now there are full auto versions out here but normally around here they are in SWAT hands and not every SWAT member has one either.
    When you get into Government contracts that's whole different subject as they get the weapons at near cost and usually are nor required to pay any type of taxes on the purchase as well.
    all I know is that I can leave out the door today looking for a AR and find any number lower priced or (in my opinion) better or as good as Colt and very, very few that are more expensive.
    same with the 1911 as far as that goes.
    now your area that may differ , as they say its all about location!
    generally around here to get into the price range of a standard Colt model you need to move into and look at either a semi custom or full custom 1911.
    Thanks for the info. I pretty much figured LE has full auto versions, or at least a lot of them.

I never thought their ARs were the be all, end all to the AR market in that $900 - $1200 range but then I don't have experience with them. I agree with you, I think a person can easily go out and find a comparable or better rifle in that price range. I guess the civilian market will get along without them huh!

Haha! Can you imagine a FA version with NY city cops. They would definitely have to put super heavy duty NY trigger in it!!
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Thanks for the info. I pretty much figured LE has full auto versions, or at least a lot of them.

I never thought their ARs were the be all, end all to the AR market in that $900 - $1200 range but then I don't have experience with them. I agree with you, I think a person can easily go out and find a comparable or better rifle in that price range. I guess the civilian market will get along without them huh!

Haha! Can you imagine a FA version with NY city cops. They would definitely have to put super heavy duty NY trigger in it!!
    Atlanta PD only got the AR maybe a year ago or so??
    they must pass a qualification course after submitting a letter through the chain of command to be approved to have one, then its in the trunk I understand.
    the City finally had to do something with all the AK / AR/ and other misc high capacity assault type weapons on the street, the cops were (and still are ) out gunned.
    the bad guys here figured out that one of the easiest places to get firearms is from police vehicles!
    many times they are left unlocked, other times keys in the car, and then of course the old bust out a window, they park cars in some very undesirable places in the city assuming that no one will break into a cop car!!--ahh yea hows that working for you??--LOl
    darbo likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    Colt just announced today that they are no longer producing AR fifteens for civilian use. They say it is financial decision due to the soft AR15 market.

The anti gun people are going to consider it a huge win!

Don
    That's NOT what they said. According to the Colt press release, they are dedicating all of their AR assembly lines to fulfill government an LE contracts. Having gone thru bankruptcy, they likely reduced that capacity as a result. Political considerations were not part of this decision. In fact, they left the door open to returning to the market when the contract demand allowed for it. They also want to increase their capacity to assemble revolvers as they return to that segment of the market. End of story.
    Can't always believe what the media spews. Heh, who am I kidding - you can never believe the Fake News outlets.....
    Pair of 431s

Member #
    Liked
    7609 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CJS3 View Post
    Just read this on TFB. Looks like Colt got a big military contract and most, if not all, AR manufacturing will be going for that;
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...olt-continues/
    Called it.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Sponsored Links