Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Colt

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16797 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I may be nitpicking but I think words matter.

Not an exact quote but the headline on my news feed says something to the effect, Colt to stop making AR15s for the civilian market. Anyone, besides me, see a problem with the way that's written?
    Colt's AR business has been mainly military/police contracts. That has been going away for the better part of two decades. With the recent introduction of 38/357 revolvers, we may see a return to what got them started. Besides, it's not like they were known for their civilian ARs. Even their 22 AR was made by Umarex/Walther. They will probably keep minimal production for police departments, but even that may get farmed out. What's more interesting to me is that if they close production in Connecticut, could that free them up to move to a red state?
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    22360 times
    Colt doing what it does best. Shooting itself in the foot yet again. Going back to what they dropped before....for the same reason. Although the revolver might make a huge comeback under more authoritarian gun regulation.

Hey! Wait a minute! We need to convince everybody that those evil AR's aren't made anymore...no need to outlaw them.
    Czechbikr and Desperado like this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46580 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I may be nitpicking but I think words matter.

Not an exact quote but the headline on my news feed says something to the effect, Colt to stop making AR15s for the civilian market. Anyone, besides me, see a problem with the way that's written?
    News stories like this usually come off the Associated Press wire and each media location that opts to post it is free to headline it as they want. So I would expect most media outlets to put an anti gun win twist in the title.
    pegasus and darbo like this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31459 times
    By the way, I don't think it's been mentioned here, but Colt filed for bankruptcy protection in 2015. They shed millions of dollars in debt and they are where they are right now on the 'strength' of that.

https://www.investopedia.com/article...t-business.asp

This is an interesting article, and it also goes a bit into Colt's decision to pander to the gun control people and sink money into development of 'smart guns'. They alienated their base, which of course made things much worse.
    Desperado and glenwolde like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    Colt just announced today that they are no longer producing AR fifteens for civilian use. They say it is financial decision due to the soft AR15 market.

The anti gun people are going to consider it a huge win!

Don

MY opinion-- yea its a financial reason due to the Colt AR-15 being massively over priced and the guberment pretty much stocked to the ceiling with AR, so now they rely more on civilian sales which they can't make or compete with the hundreds of smaller mom and pop type companies.
    add to that the location in the Northeast, the union contracts and legacy cost of retired people and that pretty much adds up to "LOSS".
    Does Colt actually make anything that one salivates for any more?
    OH my gosh likely another major Business from the North relocating to here in the southeast, geeez, more yankee neighbors to contend with!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    They said they were going to concentrate on producing the best 1911's and new production revolvers....

Don
    ahh, yea lots of luck with that!
    they make a nice 1911 but no where near the best in my opinion an they are costly beyond belief!
    Revolvers?? isn't that those things that make all that smoke when you fire that black powder out of them?
    maybe they should heavily invest in Speed Loader production as well!
    Desperado likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    Colt priced themselves out of the market. I'm just as happy with my Stag, Bushmaster and PSA ARs.
    ME TOO!
    and to impress people the range I went down to Michaels craft store and bought a bunch of Horsey stickers and put them on my PSA and Bushmaster and now everyone thinks I own Colts!
    BigBlue likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31459 times
    I personally would love to see them get back to being consistent with their revolver production. They built some of the best, and there are people who will pay extra for the Colt name on the side. I remember a Mike Venturino article back in the 90's on the Colt Anaconda, a really beautiful 44 magnum that I could never possibly afford, but is simply one of the best 44 magnums ever made. They should start bringing these and many more back into production if they go away from AR sales.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    3570 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    "Soft AR market." Huh. Maybe they're right, there's a buncha ARs at my local gun store that have been sitting in their rack slots for months.

I recall seeing one a month or so ago, used, forget the make, but it had a $280 price tag on it. I didn't buy it on the spot. $280 for a used but fully functioning AR-15 was a steal, guess I wasn't thinking that morning. No need to say it was gone when I went back a week later.
    In my local area not too long ago, an local sporting goods retailer had one brand of AR for $300 new an sale. When I saw the ad I thought it was a .22 lr version, but it was 5.56.

Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    I personally would love to see them get back to being consistent with their revolver production. They built some of the best, and there are people who will pay extra for the Colt name on the side. I remember a Mike Venturino article back in the 90's on the Colt Anaconda, a really beautiful 44 magnum that I could never possibly afford, but is simply one of the best 44 magnums ever made. They should start bringing these and many more back into production if they go away from AR sales.
    Back in '91 I had the opportunity to buy a Colt Anaconda revolver for $500 and I said at the time "500 for a revolver?" and didn't buy it.
    texastaurusguy and olfarhors like this.

Member #
    Liked
    22360 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    By the way, I don't think it's been mentioned here, but Colt filed for bankruptcy protection in 2015. They shed millions of dollars in debt and they are where they are right now on the 'strength' of that.
    They also filed for bankruptcy in 1992. Of course S&W has made some missteps too. They narrowly escaped bankruptcy at least once that I can recall.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links