Shame on me. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Shame on me.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46618 times
    Glad no one was hurt. Good reminder for all.

Hope daughter is safe.

I have some small chamber flags that I have been using when I get guns out in the house. Take gun out, check it is clear, insert chamber flag, set gun down to be cleaned and or worked on. When ready to start pick gun up remove chamber flag, take care of what I need to do.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CWB View Post
    This is the hardest post I've ever had to put here, or any other forum.

I'm the son of a gun smith, dealer, and shooter, and have been shoot shooting for at least 67 years. My first memory of shooting was from about age 5 when I got a black eye from the scope of a 1903 Springfield 30-06. My dad was an absolute stickler for gun safety, and I always have been too.

About an hour ago, I had my first accidental discharge...in my kitchen...with wife and youngest daughter standing within 3 feet of me. Fortunately I was well taught about never pointing a gun at anyone, even when unloaded.

I'm not making excuses, but here is the story:

Daughter is getting divorced and ask me if I had a pistol she could take home because her soon-to-be ex hubby lives less than ½ mile from her...in the country...8 miles from the nearest town, on a dead end road in the Missouri Ozarks. (She's my daughter and I'd supply her with an atomic bomb if I had one).

I got out a PT58 stainless .380 and some another brand .22 LR that I wasn't familiar with (bought it but never fired it). Since I keep these guns loaded, I cleared them both (removed the magazine and racked the slide) and was showing them to her and when I pulled the trigger on the .22 LR to show her it is double action, it went off, bounced a round off the kitchen island, off the stove hood, off the ceiling, and onto the kitchen floor. Apparently the extractor didn't pull the round free from the chamber.

I did everything right EXCEPT that I didn't visually inspect the chamber when I racked the slide.

Shame on me.

You are not alone. My AD was at the gun range and I left a hole in the ceiling. First time shooting an SKS that had not been cleaned. Pulled the trigger downrange and felt resistance until the point it should have fired and then the trigger just dangled. Had a full magazine, so I just ejected the round which reset the trigger and tried again. Same thing. Giving up, I set the butt on the bench to remove the magazine but first had to open the breech. When I touched the bolt, the gun fired. Range master accused me of pulling the trigger and kicked me off the range. Taking the gun apart, I discovered old sticky cosmoline all over the flat seer, keeping it from releasing properly. Things learned: 1. Clean any gun that has been in storage- especially surplus firearms. 2. Only load one cartridge in an unproven semi-automatic for the first shot. 3. Keep a weapon pointed downrange if ANY unfired rounds are still loaded during a malfunction. (Should of cycled until empty before pointing the gun vertical). 4. Never trust a gun to do what it is supposed to do until it proves that it will- every time.

Member #
    Liked
    986 times
    I don't do it but i have a friend that pulls the trigger after he clears a weapon everytime. No surprises for him i guess.
    I feel for you as i had found a round in the chamber field stripping a pistol i had cleared. Mind blowing, stunned, shock, disbelief, embarrassed, mad all at the same time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    It wasn't me but a friend of mine almost blew my head off on my first deployment. We were taking our 240G out of our fighting hole to install on a turret on our truck, our team leader had cleared the gun and handed it up to us. I was holding the front while my buddy locked the back into the mount. I got down and he went to lube the gun, pulled the charging handle back, ran it forward and BAM!!! about 2 feet from my head. Talk about a wake up call. Somehow a round gad slid into the chamber, even though it's an open bolt weapon. Never trust anyone else to clear a firearm for you

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    We appreciate you sharing your harrowing experience with us, I would not have. I suggest giving your daughter a pair of revolvers instead of the semi autos. Thankfully all are safe.

Member #
    Liked
    284 times
    No blood, no foul, so write it down as a dumb stunt and go on. And do whatever you think is best, to remind yourself to always rack the slide.
    You know and I know, that is the best way to check an automatic gun, to see if it is loaded.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2690 times
    If OP or any of you are still upset over this event or any other like it, please send me a PM and I'll advise where to send all your weapons and ammo for proper disposal.

[This has been a public service message for "free guns for DBKS".]

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMills357 View Post
    And do whatever you think is best, to remind yourself to always rack the slide.
    You know and I know, that is the best way to check an automatic gun, to see if it is loaded.
    Unless I misunderstand you or the original post, this did not help him:
    ...I cleared them both (removed the magazine and racked the slide)...
    I did everything right EXCEPT that I didn't visually inspect the chamber when I racked the slide...
    By my reading the whole point of his post is that racking the slide is NOT enough to be 100% sure a gun is clear.

Member #
    Liked
    4046 times
    Good to hear no injuries -- could have been a lot worse.

I really make a habit to look into the chamber -- kind of difficult to get your pinky into a small opening but you can stare into it and get a visual on the empty hole. I've come to also see the advantage of chamber flags -- I keep one in a .22 semi-auto rifle chamber all the time.
    230JHP likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4167 times
    This is the hardest post I've ever had to put here, or any other forum.

I'm the son of a gun smith, dealer, and shooter, and have been shoot shooting for at least 67 years. My first memory of shooting was from about age 5 when I got a black eye from the scope of a 1903 Springfield 30-06. My dad was an absolute stickler for gun safety, and I always have been too.

About an hour ago, I had my first accidental discharge...in my kitchen...with wife and youngest daughter standing within 3 feet of me. Fortunately I was well taught about never pointing a gun at anyone, even when unloaded.

I'm not making excuses, but here is the story:

Daughter is getting divorced and ask me if I had a pistol she could take home because her soon-to-be ex hubby lives less than ½ mile from her...in the country...8 miles from the nearest town, on a dead end road in the Missouri Ozarks. (She's my daughter and I'd supply her with an atomic bomb if I had one).

I got out a PT58 stainless .380 and some another brand .22 LR that I wasn't familiar with (bought it but never fired it). Since I keep these guns loaded, I cleared them both (removed the magazine and racked the slide) and was showing them to her and when I pulled the trigger on the .22 LR to show her it is double action, it went off, bounced a round off the kitchen island, off the stove hood, off the ceiling, and onto the kitchen floor. Apparently the extractor didn't pull the round free from the chamber.

I did everything right EXCEPT that I didn't visually inspect the chamber when I racked the slide.

Shame on me.
    Only two types of shooters, those who have had an AD (accidental discharge) and those who will. Count me in the first camp, twice!!!
    DeltaBravoKS and william like this.
    https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/si...gpic4401_1.gif
    "Humans more important than hardware."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links