Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Shame on me.

Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    37157 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    CWB, is there anything doctors can do? A man who works for me now has artificial lenses in both eyes, and he's so happy. If the doctors can't do anything, then I'm sure you'll find a way to continue enjoying life with your loved ones.
    I used the "going blind" comment a bit loosely. I have wet macular degeneration, which my mother and father also had. It can't really be cured but it can be slowed and held in check . High dosage of certain vitamins is supposed to help slow the process...products like Occular Nutrition or PreserVision.

From Web MD...( The "wet" form of macular degeneration is characterized by the growth of abnormal blood vessels from the choroid underneath the macula. This is called choroidal neovascularization. These blood vessels leak blood and fluid into the retina, causing distortion of vision that makes straight lines look wavy, as well as blind spots and loss of central vision. These abnormal blood vessels and their bleeding eventually form a scar, leading to permanent loss of central vision. )

This is a slightly exaggerated representation of what my right eye sees: Doors and windows (anything with straight lines) look wavy. You can see how this would make it hard to shoot accurately. I'm to the point now that I'm noticing my brain is starting to shift to the left side as my dominant eye.

Fortunately, having talked to my dad about his problem 25 years ago, I knew what it was as soon as I noticed the distortion about 3½ years ago and started treatment. (you're going to flinch here, everyone seems to) The treatment consists of getting an injection directly into the eye (behind the lense) about once a month until recently when the doctor changed the medication and now I only get it once every two months. Sounds nasty but it certainly beats the alternative. The doctor said if I hadn't known what the symptoms were and had not started treatment, I would most likely have lost sight in that eye within 6 months. He also said that 25~30 years ago, I would have simply gone blind.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CWB; 09-15-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Member #
    Liked
    6539 times
    Glad no one was hurt, and a good reminder for the rest of us.
    pegasus likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    19395 times
    While your confession was hard for you to post, just maybe it will save another member from a Hard Lesson Learned.

Glad all is good with no injuries to report.
    WoodyUSSLUCE and pegasus like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Glad to hear that every one is OK. Don`t be ashamed of yourself.

Member #
    Liked
    9432 times
    I am glad that no one was hurt and thanks for sharing ! It only takes a small detail missed and it can happen to anyone ! Sorry to hear about the eye but good that you got early treatments started !
    pegasus likes this.
    "This is not a world in which one can turn the other cheek. Doing so does not avoid violence, but rather encourages it. The bad guys threaten, but they do not seem to want to get hurt. They should be taught that their presumed victim is more dangerous than they are. This is not a matter of weapons, but of will."

- Jeff Cooper, April 2005

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    IDK if Dollar tree still has this item, but a few years ago I bought a few flexible penlights where the led light is small enough to put at the front of the muzzle, and the light will shine through to the back of the barrel, reflecting off of my nail. This way I know the barrel is unobstructed.
    I also use a flexible pen light for inspection, as well as a telescoping pointer (looks like a radio antenna). I had a squib load a few years ago that has now kept me more aware. It was some gun show bulk reloads a friend had bought for me a couple of years prior. .45 ACP for my 1911. I wasn't paying close enough attention to the sound or I'm sure I'd have heard it was wrong. I'm pretty sure it was loaded with a primer but no powder because the projectile lodged in the barrel just past the casing. My guardian angel made sure that, even though I had to rack the slide, the next cartridge would not chamber fully. If it had, I might have blown up my hand. It forced me to inspect further. I packed everything up and went home. I removed the bullet by tapping it out backward with a wooden dowel. It's in my pocket now and reminds me every day.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobG2; 09-18-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    First of let me say how good it is that no one was hurt.

Second, this story reinforces my lifelong belief that most guns are accidentally discharged by people with very little experience or people with so much experience that they often get over-confident with weapons tons of experience.

As incredible as it would seems I recently was guilty of accidentally pointing a gun at a friend of mine while I admired the new sights on the gun he's just brought over to my house to show me. I was horrified that I'd done something that stupid. We were both shooting the gun at my house where I have a home range. I shot out a whole magazine a without thinking I just turned to my left where he was standing and lifted the pistol up to eye level to check out the sights. When he quickly side stepped my aim and knock the pistol away I was so embarrassed I was almost speechless. I just stood there in absolute disbelief. A very, very humbling experience for me.

As it is I've owned and shot guns since I was 14. Early on I was more interested in shooting rifles but in the last 15 years I've taken to target shooting pistols. Mostly semi-automatics. With that kind of experience you'd think I couldn't make a mistake like that but I can and I did. It shook me up bad enough that I haven't fired any of the pistols in the month that has passed since that incident.
    Smokewagon and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I accidentally shot my mattress once. Rather than getting all worked up about my error, I just decided to sleep on it.
    DeltaBravoKS and Flash60601 like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2756 times
    I'm guessing there are a fair amount of us who will use this story to redouble our efforts to be safe. I'm also guessing there's a fair amount of us who think this could never happen to me.

I don't like being around guns, because there are way too many careless people. While I don't count myself as careless, it only takes one moment of forgetfulness or distraction or daydreaming to make a big mistake. I know I've had those kinds of moments before and they could happen again at any ... ... ... oh yeah, time!

I remember the first car accident I had. I was so shook up I couldn't drive for a day. I can't imagine how shook up I would be today if I accidentally fired a gun with family members in the room. I sure as heck wouldn't post about it on the Internet for the embarrassment. However, those of us who reconsider out safety efforts may have not done so without your story. You've got more guts than I.

Member #
    Liked
    9053 times
    Don't beat yourself up. Use the incident as a learning experience and drive on. No one was hurt (except your pride and ego - that's temporary and fixable).
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links