WHAT do you do to, or HOW do you train your kids for respecting guns
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

WHAT do you do to, or HOW do you train your kids for respecting guns

Firstly, if this is not the proper place for this question please move it administators. I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong place.

I write this because it seems that those with CCW would be more apt to experience this at some point. HOW do you or WHAT do you do to teach your kids, grandkids or nieces and nephews respect for a handgun, or even shotguns and rifles.

We are all human. As careful as we would like to think we are - EVENTUALLY we WILL make a mistake. Perhaps washing up or grabbing a quick shower... we are home alone and the wife comes home with the kid(s) or grandkid(s) etc unexpectedly. Our holster or shoulder rig is laying out or on hanging on the bathroom door on the OTHER side.

What steps have you done to help protect against mistakes?

I can honestly say my granddaughter has better gun handling skills than a lot of my family and friends do. From a small age she was taught to either leave it along or pick it up ONLY by the handle if need be. Her fingers wrap around the HANDLE or GRIP. She NEVER puts her fingers near the trigger. ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded. The same went for our daughter.

When our granddaughter was younger and living with us, after feeling she could be trusted from drilling it in her head ( she was less than 4 years old I might add) we would appear to leave the room and leave a small handgun on the kitchen table or end table etc.( UNLOADED and safety on if possible) with my wife in a room hiding but yet a field of view to her and also me in my den, or seemimg so, watching her.

She left it alone. Once when we had first gotten our poodle ( Hey in her mind the dog was a baby...didn't reason to her an animal is not like a human baby) she actually picked it up because neither of us appeared to hear her hollering and my den door was "closed" ( another issue of teaching) and took it to my wife. She picked it up off the table with both hands around the grip and backstrap only, held it out from her body a little bit, muzzle down, and carried it to her Nan who "was in the bathroom" .., because a baby doesn't know guns "can hurt you". She had to get it away from him.

We have also taken great pains to teach our nieces and nephews who visited us and even stayed with us for a night, or weekend, or a couple weeks in the summer. Now that we are seeing great nieces and nephews we will do the same with them, as I know their parents are doing so.

It is NOT something we like to think about. It is so easy to say "That will never happen to me." but it eventually DOES happen. Maybe no one was involved even while there were small children in the house. Perhaps it was upstairs and the family was downstairs. What would have happened if a small one snuck upstairs during that time?

I will bet if you have been in the gun world for any length of time, and you ARE honest with yourself. a mistake DID happen. Think about it.

Respectfully,
    Brizz

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: WHAT do you do to, or HOW do you train your kids for respecting guns

I did the same exact thing with my boys, now both 8 and 9 years old. I told them about guns when they were around 4 years old, let them hold my rifles, and then left then unloaded in conspicuous places to see what happened. None of the guns were ever touched, there was no 'mystery' to them. They knew what they were and they left them alone. I told them never to handle guns, and I would try and hand them on of my handguns, to which they'd say, "we're not supposed to toucht them daddy". Damn I've got good kids. They have been taught the same thing as I'm sure your little ones have, never point a gun at anything you don't intend to kill, and never have a finger on the trigger. When my kids have friends over, the guns get locked up. I trust my kids, it's other peoples kids I worry about.

I'm not saying this works for everybody, you have to judge the competence of you children on your own.

Member #
    Liked
    283 times

well i dont have any small kids in my house.. i do have 1 or 2 that visit sometimes but i keep them in my room.. and everyone knows it's off limits unless im there.

if they're old enough to know what it is and the general operation (hey it's not rocket science)
    then probably let them touch it and hold it (unloaded of course) once they get to (for lack of a better word) play with it for a little bit it might take a bit of the mystery out of it.. but every kid is different so this might not always be the best route to take.

btw it's always good to have a second set of prints on a gun anyhow.

for those of you with absolutely no sense of humor that last part was a joke.
    If you can't shoot well, shoot often.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I don't have children yet, but do plan on having kids someday.

When I was a kid, we used to play "guns" all the time like "cops and robbers" kinda stuff.

We were 8 or 10 years old in my collective group of friends. When my dad saw this, he took us all out with different actual guns, and trained us on them. How to handle them and such. And he was very firm when he told us all, that guns were not toys. They were to be respected. After a couple sessions at the range, which at first we were all very intimidated when dealing with the real thing. We had a new respect for guns. We knew my dad kept guns, open in his bedroom. And that room was off limits to us. We just respected it. Always.

I remember a situation, a couple years later where a friend of mine brought bullets to school. I not only told him it wasn't cool, I told my teacher what was up. We were about 12 years old.

Another situation with the same friend, I was at his house, and he brought out his dads .22 revolver and decided it would be cool to play with. I saw, with my expierence that my dad had taught me, that it was loaded, and left the situation immediatley. I just told my friend that I had to go home. When I got home, I told my mom about it and she waited for my dad to get home to take care of the situation. I don't know what became of it, but I wasn't allowed to go to his house anymore.

You don't kid proof your guns. You gun proof your kids.

Member #
    Liked
    296 times

Brizzo .....
    Nice Post

btw it's always good to have a second set of prints on a gun anyhow.
    lol.. Joe

You don't kid proof your guns. You gun proof your kids.
    Very well said ...godadone

I am working on my grand kids right now..
    My oldest is shooting more and more, he is 8..

When i taught my kids, it was a little easier..first thing i did after many discussions, was take them out and remove the mystery of guns
    After that, they were not such a big deal for them and never had a problem..

My grand kids are a little different, they play a lot of video games(Grandpa plays the same ones..hehe)
    My oldest grandson can tell you more about how all the guns work because of "Call of Duty" ...than most adults..lol

I had to go about things a little different with him..
    We have gone shooting and now he also understands the difference between real and video games...
    We play video games as a team and i use every chance i can to teach while we are doing it
    He will ask questions on how the other characters in the game are using there guns and where they are unsafe with them..Now that is cool to me

I think taking the mystery out of a gun is very helpful..
    My grandson went out with a bunch of us the other day and he was more aware of how to behave with guns better, than the adults...
    These guys all commented on how well he did

I still keep all my rifles unloaded and the ammo locked up..because no matter what (Boys will be Boys), but not hidden..

Here is another thread that was started on this subject, might find it pretty good

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=2309.0

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians

Devin

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Mr. DB, thanks for the link to the other thread. Kids and respect for gun safety is a passionate issue with me.It's also great to read how others approach it, even those without children yet who are thinking ahead.

Brizz

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

As a cop, I always had a gun handy around the house. When my kids, 1 boy and 1 girl, were in grammer school, I took them with me to demonstrate what kind of dammage a bullet could do to watermelons, milk jugs, etc. I let them shoot, starting with a .22, up to a 9mm, and told them any time they wanted to shoot, to let me know. I kept any gun not under my immediate control, locked in a safe.

They took me up on it a few times, and my daughter lost interest. My son continued to show an interest in guns and now at 30 years old, he is a CCW permit holder.
    Sui Juris
    Member SAF / Life Member NRA
    US Navy Vet. (aviation) '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / HR-218 Certified
    United States Constitution (c) 1791
    All Rights Reserved

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I kept any gun not under my immediate control, locked in a safe.
    I am with you on that one. If it is not on my hip it is in the safe.

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    956 times

Well my kids have always had a healthy respect for guns. We did shot 22's and pellet guns when they were kids. Not one ever got out my guns, or got in trouble with the pellet guns.

Their sure not angels, but were good in that respect.

Now they are all well grown adults. 34, 37, and almost 41. Each have their own guns, and are either military, or former LEO. So I guess I did OK by them when they were young.

I have a safe, too small for all my pistols and revolvers but I do have a lockable case for them.
    I have only had one kid, not a relative that went bonkers when he saw one of the long guns, sneaky little twit went into my wife and I's closet. It was not loaded, no ammo even on the same floor with it. He went looking for it the next time he was here, but we had noticed his eagerness and had hidden totally all the long guns and the others prior to his arrival.

Better safe than sorry with kids like that.

ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I began the training of my six children by showing them the destructive force of firearms.
    The next block of training included the ten comandments of firearm safey.
    We also run through different simulations of possible situations they might encounter
    outside of a controled enviroment.
    I drill (teach) my children frequently on this subject so it will become second nature.
    One of the few things in this country you do not need a license for is raising children.
    Raising children is the most important endevor a father will ever do in his entire life.

P.S.
    Where is the spell check on this infernal contraption.
    T
    U.S. Army Ret.

"For those who have fought for it, freedom has a special flavor the protected will never know." Unknown Soldier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links