Shooting Illustrated article on gun break in if needed
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Shooting Illustrated article on gun break in if needed

Member #
    Liked
    8534 times

Shooting Illustrated article on gun break in if needed

https://www.nramedia.org/t/11168994/123003131/97026/11/ This is an article from the NRA's magazine "Shooting Illustrated". The article has to do with gun break in or not.

I will say I agree with the article for the most part. I do break in all of my pistols with at least 100-200 rounds. If no problems the gun goes into major use. For others of you things might well be different.

Member #
    Liked
    515 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwiks draw View Post
    https://www.nramedia.org/t/11168994/123003131/97026/11/ This is an article from the NRA's magazine "Shooting Illustrated". The article has to do with gun break in or not.

I will say I agree with the article for the most part. I do break in all of my pistols with at least 100-200 rounds. If no problems the gun goes into major use. For others of you things might well be different.
    I've heard this too, that some guns need to be shot, "broken in", to smooth out internal parts that might be a little rough. I'm sure MIM parts are usually blamed for pre break in problems. I'm not a machinist so I don't really know but it makes sense. Like you I check the operation of a gun with a couple of hundred rounds or so just to make sure it will go bang.
    Qwiks draw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1230 times
    Notice from page 56 of a Kimber 1911 operation manual.

Notice:

Break-in Period. Before firing the firearm for the first time, fieldstrip and clean the firearm following proper procedures (see Disassembly, Cleaning and Lubrication and Assembly instructions in this manual).

For proper break-in, fire 400-500 rounds of 230 grain (or heavier) full metal jacket,high quality factory-fresh premium personal defense ammunition.

Clean and lubricate the firearm after every 100 rounds or after each shooting session, whichever is first, or more often as needed, such as when the firearm is exposed to dirt, moisture or perspiration.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lomax; 09-12-2019 at 07:22 AM. Reason: added pic
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10754 times
    If you are talking ARs, yes, they need to be run "wet" during break-in, and if I am doing any kind of extended firing they are run wet. There is just too much hot carbon gases being dumped into the action to run one dry.

With pistols, there is no telling what kind of packing grease is in them for transport. Just cleaning and lubing them greatly improves their operation, and I would include revolvers in that group too.

As far as the trigger, polishing just the shiny parts will knock a lot of rounds off that break-in period. Polishing the feed ramp almost always improves feeding.

Production guns are production guns because they, the manufacturers, do not take the time and expense to finish many of the little things, that makes them cheaper. If you do those little things you can significantly improve your gun.
    Desperado and Qwiks draw like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    758 times
    Auto pistol break-in is a real thing. I’ve observed it on numerous pistols. Once break-in is done the pistols smooth out nicely.
    Lomax and jtg452 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    31543 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    IJust cleaning and lubing them greatly improves their operation, and I would include revolvers in that group too.
    My most recent purchase is my Judge. Cleaning it produced a significant improvement in trigger smoothness. Dry firing a few hundred times made it even better. In fact, I'd say cleaning and breaking in did more for this revolver than any other firearm I've purchased in the last few years.

I don't hold it against a manufacturer who recommends a break in period. In fact, I'd say it tells me they are honestly giving good advice.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    7625 times
    I happen to agree with this article, but I think that the article needs forgets one thing I think is VERY valuable, especially if this is a new firearm in a caliber or style you are not familiar with.

The one thing I will do with ANY firearm that I am not familiar with its action is to use light loads to start with, and then work my way up to stouter loads. For example, on a new 9mm that I bought, I started with some light loads, then slowly went to stouter and stouter loads, until I found my own and the firearms preferred load for accuracy and feel. For me, this took almost 500 rounds, and a few cleanings along the way, usually after a range session. I also got used to the slide, the magazine release, and just how the firearm in question worked.

My revolvers are also "broke in" the same way with light loads, then stepped up to the stoutest load. With my .357 Magnums, I'll start with .38 Special wadcutters, then standard pressure loads, then +p loads, then into .357 Magnum loads, and begin the climb to stouter loads once again. I also get use to the different cylinder releases (Ruger vs Taurus vs Dan Wesson vs Colt), as this has A LOT to do with a quick reloading of the cylinder. I also determine if the standard grip is good or needs to be replaced, as well as clean the action when I get it. Just a cleaning and good inspection and oiling the trigger parts alone has done more to improve the trigger action than any spring work has ever done IMHO.

With every firearm I have bought, I usually do this "get the feel of the firearm" drill. It usually takes, as the article mentioned, about 500 rounds to get to where I feel good with the firearm and the selection of ammunition for that particular firearm.
    Qwiks draw likes this.
    Desperado's Big Bang Theory:
    The theory that a "big bang" from a handgun, along with a perpetrator receiving a gunshot wound, is the best way to end violent personal or property crimes.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20038 times
    Early in Glock’s business life there were a few mishaps which were user rated but Gaston told the marketing dept to recommend a break-in period in the owner’s manual. The marketeer told him they couldn’t do that because it violated Glock’s promise of “Glock; Perfection Out of The Box”.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    You guys might want to check out this youtube video regarding this. I've followed this guy for guite some time and I believe he knows what he's talking about. He was an armor for Smith and Wesson and Ruger.

Last edited by Safety64; 09-13-2019 at 01:05 AM.
    I don't know Officer. That home invader left my house like he forgot he left the oven on. Something must of spooked him.

Member #
    Liked
    26900 times
    AHHH-- Break In?? ar we talking about like where someone knocks down your door and tries to rob you??
    thtas the only break in that i am familiar with;
    signed " a CZ owner.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    oso likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links