• 4 Post By NotSo
  • 3 Post By jspdrcrmach5
  • 6 Post By GhostHorse

Thread: Queston re: revolver lock up today

Member #
    Liked
    515 times

Queston re: revolver lock up today

I took a new-to-me S&W 27-2 (in virtually like new condition) to the range and had a lock up.

Couldn't move the hammer or trigger. Did a little light pushing and pulling for about 20 seconds and it got back to normal.

I'm no expert, and I've mostly shot pistols over the last few years, but I wonder if a lock up can be user-induced by going a little forward and back movement with the trigger during the pulling or releasing of the trigger...which I think occurred.

After the lock up, I made sure there were no variations in when pulling the trigger. I've shot about 150 rounds through it, and this has been the only issue.

TIA!

Member #
    Liked
    515 times
    Snooping around the net, I found this comment (from a user on a forum - I added the bolds):

"One thing that I have found that causes cylinder lock up is back traveling a double action trigger pull. Once you begin a double action trigger pull you can stop, and freeze at any point along the cycle, continue to increase pull and stop again and again but never go backwards or let the the trigger back travel once you have started a pull. You must complete the cycle or you can and will experience a frozen or misaligned lockwork of the revolver. I have learned this the hard way particulerly with S&W revolvers."

And mine is a S&W
    777Driver likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2802 times
    You found your answer! Yes this can happen and why I hate the myth that revolvers are more reliable. There is that one spot that will advance the cylinder and lock up the works if you release it. My LCRx is the easiest to find that spot. If you have to stop the double action motion, reach up and pull the hammer back to full cock and gently lower the hammer manually. The action is still advanced, but you can open the cylinder and place the chamber back to where it is next.

In some ways, it is like short stroking a pump gun.

Maloy

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4528 times
    Take the side-plate off and cycle the action both single and double. Make sure the hand is correctly installed and not jumping forward. This happened to me long ago with a S&W Model 19.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    779 times
    Are You using factory ammo or handloads, I have found that handloads where the primer wasn't fully seated could cause lock ups.
    Desperado, Qwiks draw and Valjean like this.
    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
    -Patches O'Houlihan

Member #
    Liked
    31423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maloy View Post
    You found your answer! Yes this can happen and why I hate the myth that revolvers are more reliable.
    I agree. I've seen revolvers lock up because of proud primers, I've had a Ruger revolver become virtually impossible to use because the ejection rod was unscrewing itself, and I've seen a well-maintained .357 toss it's barrel downrange because the frame decided to take the day off. I've had a revolver come out of the box with the trigger return bar and spring not connected. All of them were fixable, but none of them were fixable as quickly as I can clear a semiauto, and half the revolver issues required tools. And "half" doesn't include the downrange disassembly event.

Revolvers have pros and cons, just like semiautos. But the reliability benefits of a revolver get overstated at times.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    515 times
    Factory rounds were used.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    The only cylinder lock-up I personally have experienced has been with Smith's. I have a 29 that every time I would shoot mags it would lock up. Specials did fine. It seems to me the cylinder lock is pretty small on there revolvers. I've wondered if that has anything to do with it. If you compare the cylinder lock on a J frame with a 500 mag. it's almost the same size.
    I don't know Officer. That home invader left my house like he forgot he left the oven on. Something must of spooked him.

Member #
    Liked
    3101 times
    I had a S&W 625 in .45acp that I shot IDPA with and it would lock up at times. Until that is, I found out that the ejector rod was unscrewing itself under recoil. A little blue locktite cured the problem.
    Resist much, obey little. Walt Whitman

Semper Fi

Sponsored Links