How do you feel about aftermarket replacement parts and modifications for firearms? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: How do you feel about aftermarket replacement parts and modifications for firearms?

Member #
    Liked
    2286 times
    @daytonaredeye
    Personally, the only things I shy away from out of fear of it looking bad in court and blatantly bad-looking things like using G2 Research R.I.P Ammo which is basically marketed to look evil with the name sharing an acronym with Rest in Peace and having a headstone right on the box. (Thankfully it just so happens to also be garbage that only offers a fragmenting bullet which grossly underpenetrates.)

I'm not worried about running into the world's crappiest prosecutor who is so lacking in any incriminating evidence against me that he has to resort to making up strawman arguments in a desperate attempt to sway the jury. I won't use a Kill-O-Zap gun for Self-Defense, but that's as far as I go when it comes to worrying about what desperate prosecutors who lack incriminating evidence might pull in the court room, because obviously anyone that incompetent will attempt to spin anything they can in a negative light and thus no matter how hard I try to appear the friendliest, most innocent person ever to use a firearm in Self-Defense, he'll just nitpick whatever he can anyway to the point that he'll call into question why my necktie is the same color as blood and how an innocent man's eyes could be so icy blue as mine.

@Peacemarkr40
    I'm not talking about grips, but rather internal drop-in parts which claim to improve performance, reliability, or longevity.
    daytonaredeye likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    well to me its about what I expect to gain by changing out a part, in the case of a poorly made or installed part then tis no brainer for me. but ktind of like the 17 year old that daddy just bought him a camaro with 400 HP engine and he wants to put a super charger on it to get 550 HP?--ahh why?
    really , we use to have a saying when I was growing up about the guys that put chrome, flashy paint, and big tires on their Vega, "is it about show or go"?
    I am more of a GO guy myself, course I don't get invited to a lot of Bar b Ques either!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1586 times
    For me if it ain't broken don't fix it. I tend to just leave internal parts alone. When I was younger I purchased just about every aftermarket part available to try and make my guns more reliable and trust worthy. Wound up causing reliability issues. Now I just leave them stock and only replace with factory parts when needed. Nothing wrong with replacing grips, sights, stocks and so on.
    Desperado and Tuco_Ramírez like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26998 times
    Quote Originally Posted by muddcatt54 View Post
    I have a Glock Mod 22 40 cal ARkansas Highway Patrol the trigger was terrible so I changed it out for an updated trigger I can't remember the make but it made a world of difference in the pull and accuracy in fact it is like a totally different pistol
    i would like to find a aftermarket hammer for it though
    Here's a aftermarket hammer!

NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26998 times
    Some mods I'll do and others I won't. It really depends on the mod and the gun.
    Desperado likes this.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    7769 times
    For me, I leave my revolvers pretty much alone in the mechanical department. IF there is something that needs improved, then I will do that, but I leave well enough alone. Most of my revolver work is simply a cleaning, smoothing, and relubing process on the trigger components, basically what I call "blueprinting the trigger system". On those with fixed sights, I will do a "Claude Werner" sight upgrade (feel free to search what that is). On those I can change sights, I MIGHT change the front blade to a more visible one if I deem it necessary. I might also change out the grips if I feel it necessary. I really prefer the feel of a good wood grip on a revolver, and Altamont makes some danged good ones for most of the revolvers I have. Sometimes I have even used other brand grips if they looked better than the Altamont grips did.

Now with a semi-auto, I will leave them well enough alone. I MIGHT change the sights, but this is something that I may have done once or twice, and really did not like the change, and went back to the originals soon afterward. As for springs and things, I MIGHT buff the feed ramps and such, but usually if the darned gun works fine right out of the box, I won't mess with it for fear I might just screw it up.

Just the way I have done things with guns for decades.
    Last edited by Desperado; 09-08-2019 at 06:35 PM.
    Taurus1965 likes this.
    Desperado's Big Bang Theory:
    The theory that a "big bang" from a handgun, along with a perpetrator receiving a gunshot wound, is the best way to end violent personal or property crimes.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7432 times
    Went shooting today with some of the folks here on the Forum for the Rapid City Event.
    Took my early Taurus G2 along, had not shot it in awhile.
    I was presented this gun by Taurus I believe at our 2nd or 3rd event, shot very well right out of the box(did do my usual fluff and buff on it)
    and I think I ran about 500 rounds through it at first.
    Then Lakeline and Alfonse showed up with some early parts for the G2, so I thought I would be a test bed for the parts!
    Keep in mind there was nothing wrong with the pistol too start with, I put in the SS Guide Rod, then got a SS striker Guide and then just cause
    I bought the Night Sights from Lakeline...................
    My trigger was fine, long take-up but worked as it should, then Keeptinkering showed up with his trigger, so I got one of those and dropped it in.
    After all this, I have about$150.00 into what would have been a $250.00 dollar gun, how does it run, like a DREAM!
    People who shot it today made many comments on how nice it felt and ran, and after today I think it has around 5200 rounds through it.
    In short, if it works don't screw with it, and if you do decide to change out parts, take the time and do it right!!!
    Don't always assume that the part is bad if the gun doesn't run well when you are done!
    I generally leave firearms alone and learn it's quirks, but in the case of my G2 I am glad I played with it!
    Last edited by loudviking; 09-08-2019 at 06:59 PM.
    olfarhors and daytonaredeye like this.
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Member #
    Liked
    232 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Do they improve the functionality? Ergonomics? Handling? Accuracy? Safety?

If the answer is yes to any of the above, then go for it. External parts like grip panels, pin sets, grip screws, ... can improve the cosmetic appearance and, if they don't interfere with functionality, safety,...
    I agree with jtg452. I am a pretty decent lay engineer, gunsmith, machinist, inventor, and mechanic. I do understand that firearms are mass produced, like most things we purchase, in order to make parts interchangeable, for standardization, to meet contract criteria, and so on. As said before on here, there is a big difference in cosmetic changes and actual function changes to a firearm. And before I get criticized too much, yes I have worked in a big custom shop where things were invented, test fired, proven, and more. Even cosmetic changes can effect the way a firearm works; i.e, if you change grips and the grip screw is now too long and drags on the mag or interferes with the action somehow. So, I DO work on my stuff, but I don't change it just for the sake of change. Everything that gets changed has a purpose behind it. That's as clear as mud probably.
    jtg452 likes this.
    My 2 cents.
    Most guns out shoot most people.
    Taurus PT 92 series.

Member #
    Liked
    4169 times
    I purchase my firearms after much research and get what I want. If it does not perform as promised/designed, it goes back to the factory for corrective action. In some cases aftermarket parts are a viable alternative to OEM for springs, wear parts, and pretty much anything AR*. I personally do not want to spend $$$$$ money on a firearm and then spend even more to make it better. HiPoint Carbines are an exception to that rule.

*ARs are a good example of aftermarket assemblies. You can build one out of the parts made by/for 50 different manufacturers.
    When people lose their way and begin to vote for their own yokes and chains and suddenly we’re all wearing them, when Government turns tyrannical and the light of liberty is being extinguished.... our 2nd amendment is our ONLY hope.

Member #
    Liked
    548 times
    The only aftermarket gun products I buy are grips.
    Taurus1965 likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links