Justified use of deadly force, or excessive? - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Like Tree290Likes

Thread: Justified use of deadly force, or excessive?

Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    From what i saw, the guy went down , but from the camera view he still had his gun. That maybe still makes him a threat to a reasonable person scared for his life in a self-defense situation.

Maybe if the gun had been dropped and was out of reach, the shooter may have reacted differently. Just my thoughts.
    "All right, they're on our left,they're on our right,they're in front of us,they're behind us.They can't get away this time."
    "You don't hurt 'em, if you don't hit 'em"
    Col. Chesty Puller,1St Marine Div.(1950)

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I've watched both camera views over a few more times. I've also gone back and forth on wether this is "excess force" or not?

Based upon being unable to see the perp's gun and the one continuous mag dump by the threatened clerk, I finally decided it was justified and not excessive.

Member #
    Liked
    3261 times
    Excessive rounds fired or not, at the end of the day, one more turd just got "flushed". Good.
    BigBlue and trooperc7 like this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27026 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taurustoter View Post
    Excessive rounds fired or not, at the end of the day, one more turd just got "flushed". Good.
    And today the world is a better place for having done it.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    3421 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    What does killing him have to do with anything?

One man's opinion; if you're shooting to stop the threat, it's justified self defense. If you're shooting to kill, that's different. If I were a juror, a statement like this would radically alter how I see the case.

Especially since killing is a bad goal from a self defense perspective. Lethality doesn't defend you. Plenty of people have died at the hands of criminals who've already sustained wounds they absolutely cannot survive. Shoot to knock the attacker out of the fight, not to kill. What's the difference? If I want to make sure an attacker dies, I'm going to pick one front pocket and fill it with lead. A severed femoral artery is pretty tough to survive unless you're in an ER waiting room when it happens. If I want to knock someone out of a fight, I'll shoot for center of mass of the chest. Severe enough disruption to take someone out of a fight, but they have a chance to live. And yes, I want them to live. Taking a human life takes more of a toll than a lot of internet commandos realize. If I can defend myself without putting that on my conscience, that's my preferred outcome.
    My point, poorly made, is that he made poor tactical choices.

I'd chalk that up to adrenaline, but more likely not having trained or at least repeatedly thought through the situation (because he was in a rather static situation that could have benefited from planned post-shoot actions).

As I said, I'd hope that after being sure of a couple of rounds to the torso, I'd have the presence of mind to pause and assess the situation.

Emptying the gun into what might only be the first of several assailants might not be tactically wise.

Running wildly out into the street with a gun in his hand wasn't tactically wise.

Et cetera.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Member #
    Liked
    3421 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake3501 View Post
    We have so often heard the perps Momma, wanting to know why the clerk didn't just go Roy Rogers and shoot the gun out of the Perps hand? That is the fantasy land they live in, as well as describing their son as a choir boy!
    Well, ain't nobody here using that line.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links