Semi -Wadcutters as a SD round
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Semi -Wadcutters as a SD round

Member #
    Liked
    518 times

Semi -Wadcutters as a SD round

I just picked up an old 6" S&W model 29, and will be trying out various cartridges in magnum and special.

At Cabela's today I picked up a box of .44 Special HSM 240gr Lead Semi-Wadcutters, among others, and was wondering how it might rate as a SD round?

Muzzle Energy: 381 foot pounds

Muzzle Velocity: 845 fps

Well below .44 magnum range, haha.

I've read good reports of Wad-cutters as a SD round...this is a *semi*-wadcutter, of course. The energy/velocity numbers above don't seem any better than a mid-range 45 acp (don't currently have a .45 ACP gun), but thought there might be other considerations.

Even though I'm not looking at this model 29 as a SD gun, I'd still like to know solid options in both Magnum & Special.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

(BTW, also picked up some Magnum rounds - Hornady 240gr XTP hollow points, Barnes Vor-TX 225gr hollow points, and the low powered Winchester 240gr. jacketed soft points)
    Last edited by Valjean; 08-21-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    BigBlue likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    22206 times
    Check out what Inspector Callahan says at about 1:09....

JimmyA likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    7516 times
    Federal makes an all lead SWC-HP in .44 Special. Matter of fact, I think it's the only .44 Special load they still make. I use it as the carry load for my Rossi 720.
    TheOldRedneck and Valjean like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31298 times
    I've heard of people using wadcutters and semi-wadcutters as self defense ammo, and if that's what makes somebody feel secure, then to each his own. But, we live in the age of scientific breakthroughs in hollowpoint design and I would almost always prefer a good hollowpoint travelling at the speed you mentioned above for the semi-wadcutter. Now, if you're talking about shooting a boar or a deer or even a bear, well it's time to consider something that doesn't necessarily expand, is made of cast lead, in other words very dense and able to penetrate deep without losing it's shape. Certain wadcutters would fill that bill nicely.
    olfarhors and JimmyA like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    Thanks, all.

The HSM SWC's I got today seemed like they would be a good option for practice/pleasure shooting, as they are $29.99 for a box of 50. Figured it would be icing on the cake if it also made for a good SD round, as well.

Good to know the pros and cons based on different scenarios.

Member #
    Liked
    492 times
    In a M29, I'd carry a Keith style SWC over 17 grains of 2400 in .44 Special every day of the week and twice on Sunday and have not a qualm about it. Those big, deep holes let lots of air in and lots of blood out!
    BigBlue likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26854 times
    I've never killed another human being in a defensive situation and hope I never have to, but the lessons I've learned through many years of hunting tells me that a wide flat nosed(large metplat area) bullet with deep penetration will drop animals quick. Let's face it, people are animals too.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    2717 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Valjean View Post
    I just picked up an old 6" S&W model 29, and will be trying out various cartridges in magnum and special.

At Cabela's today I picked up a box of .44 Special HSM 240gr Lead Semi-Wadcutters, among others, and was wondering how it might rate as a SD round?

Muzzle Energy: 381 foot pounds

Muzzle Velocity: 845 fps

Well below .44 magnum range, haha.

I've read good reports of Wad-cutters as a SD round...this is a *semi*-wadcutter, of course. The energy/velocity numbers above don't seem any better than a mid-range 45 acp (don't currently have a .45 ACP gun), but thought there might be other considerations.

Even though I'm not looking at this model 29 as a SD gun, I'd still like to know solid options in both Magnum & Special.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

(BTW, also picked up some Magnum rounds - Hornady 240gr XTP hollow points, Barnes Vor-TX 225gr hollow points, and the low powered Winchester 240gr. jacketed soft points)
    Well it will make a nice clean hole with no ragged edges.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    31488 times
    I'd expect that to be a darn good self defense round. I pass up hollowpoints and choose rounds like that when I'm not sure which is more likely, two legged predators or four. Lots of mass for good penetration, and WC/SWC leave a heck of a wound cavity as BigBlue said.
    Desperado likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    22206 times
    I'd feel comfortable with it. As you said, it's similar ballistics to .45 ACP hardball and I don't think many would argue the .45 ACP standard load is inadequate. Plus the SWC has a better profile than the round nose .45.

Let's not forget that for a very long time cartridges that started with a "4" and loaded to standard velocities were not found wanting. You might try some of these. I've used their similar .41 Magnum rounds and they were great.

"NEW" .44 Rem Mag 240gr Lead Semi-Wadcutter - Georgia Arms
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links