Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Semi -Wadcutters as a SD round

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31272 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Valjean View Post
    Thanks, all.

The HSM SWC's I got today seemed like they would be a good option for practice/pleasure shooting, as they are $29.99 for a box of 50. Figured it would be icing on the cake if it also made for a good SD round, as well.

Good to know the pros and cons based on different scenarios.
    That seems kinda pricey to me. Check out Matts Bullets, like this one, these are $18 per 100:

https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...3hiasr4rvr0jf6

Missouri Bullet also makes them for less than that, but you can't buy less than 500 at a time from them.

EDIT - sorry, it's too early for me and I didn't realize you were talking about factory ammo. Need to drink my coffee before posting.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    4337 times
    Love the 44 mag/44 special as hunting handguns because of heavy bullets ability to give pass through penetration on deer etc. Would give thought to that. Once you pull the trigger it is too late for second thoughts to help. That is a tremendous amount of energy to turn loose in a populated area.
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7511 times
    With the low velocity that I get from the short barreled .44 Special, I went with the Federal load I mentioned because it's a very soft alloy (like scratch it with a fingernail easily soft) if not pure lead and that WILL expand. My chrono says it's doing a little over 700fps (better than the 696fps the 200gr Silvertips were averaging) from a 3 inch barrel and at that low of a velocity, you need all the help you can get.

If I was to have to go to someplace that outlawed hollowpoints like NJ, a large bore, heavy soft cast SWC or wide nosed RNFP would be my choice.
    TheOldRedneck and GhostHorse like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26813 times
    First i would NOT be carrying a boat anchor unless it was the only gun that i had, that being said If I were planning on carrying the gun for self defense ammo I would be looking to see IF Barnes loaded a all copper hollow point in the cartridge.
    that's a very good lower velocity, lower recoil high expansion projectile .
    I might note that while deer, Bear, Pigs are animals they do not tend to sue you if a animal behind them, down the street is collateral damage an the Deer police don't lock you up for hitting the Deer that you were not trying to kill by mistake.
    as a side note the largest PIG (BOAR) that I shot was 351 pounds and it took 3 well placed shots from a 41 magnum to stop him, and yes they were Truncated point non expanded projectiles, now they went through him except for one that was a front shoulder to rear hind quarter shot--so much for face to face and the non expanding projectile.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    3889 times
    I'm pretty sure it was the late great Jim Cirillo of the NY Stakeout Squad who touted that wad cutters were much better rounds for flesh targets than standard ball. I doubt it started with him though, as that seemed to be LEO in crowd bit of info back then. Probably where they got the idea to add that in Magnum Force above. That needs to be taken in context though, as that was back in the 70's when there wasn't numerous companies doing innovative things (like hollow points for instance) with ammunition.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

Member #
    Liked
    3498 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    Check out what Inspector Callahan says at about 1:09....

Hollywood aside, when I used to own a S&W Model 29 (8 3/8 inch barrel) I hardly had any muzzle rise when shooting light loaded 44 special wadcutters. I was not however shooting it one handed. There was a lot of muzzle rise with full load 44 magnum rounds. As far as a self defense round, IDK, because I bought the gun mainly as a piece in my collection. At that time it really was the most powerful production handgun in the world, but has since been eclipsed by other handguns and other calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Ape View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was the late great Jim Cirillo of the NY Stakeout Squad who touted that wad cutters were much better rounds for flesh targets than standard ball. I doubt it started with him though, as that seemed to be LEO in crowd bit of info back then. Probably where they got the idea to add that in Magnum Force above. That needs to be taken in context though, as that was back in the 70's when there wasn't numerous companies doing innovative things (like hollow points for instance) with ammunition.

He did but not just for the bullet design being more effective at producing a stop than a jacketed round nose, which a lot of police departments back then still issued. His opinion (along with other people who studied shootings) was that round nose rounds have a greater chance of skipping off a thick bony area than a flatter bullet shape. Allegedly some famous mobster in Chicago had someone try to murder him by shooting him in the back of the head with a 38 special, and most of the rounds skidded off his skull and didn't penetrate. I personally saw the body of a guy who had been trying to commit suicide with a 38 special, using round nose ammo, and 5 of his 6 shots did not penetrate the skull. I was told that the theory was the guy at the last second prior to pulling the trigger all the way moved his hand slightly so that the muzzle was not flat against his skull.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13522 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Hollywood aside, when I used to own a S&W Model 29 (8 3/8 inch barrel) I hardly had any muzzle rise when shooting light loaded 44 special wadcutters. I was not however shooting it one handed. There was a lot of muzzle rise with full load 44 magnum rounds. As far as a self defense round, IDK, because I bought the gun mainly as a piece in my collection. At that time it really was the most powerful production handgun in the world, but has since been eclipsed by other handguns and other calibers.

He did but not just for the bullet design being more effective at producing a stop than a jacketed round nose, which a lot of police departments back then still issued. His opinion (along with other people who studied shootings) was that round nose rounds have a greater chance of skipping off a thick bony area than a flatter bullet shape. Allegedly some famous mobster in Chicago had someone try to murder him by shooting him in the back of the head with a 38 special, and most of the rounds skidded off his skull and didn't penetrate. I personally saw the body of a guy who had been trying to commit suicide with a 38 special, using round nose ammo, and 5 of his 6 shots did not penetrate the skull. I was told that the theory was the guy at the last second prior to pulling the trigger all the way moved his hand slightly so that the muzzle was not flat against his skull.
    I noticed swede dropped his brass on the floor. KIDS *smh*
    olfarhors likes this.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

Member #
    Liked
    3942 times
    Use whatever is close to or exactly what LEO use. Of course, I reckon they don't carry .44s.

If you are ever involved (and let's hope not) they will look at what cartridges you were using and might make up something about you being a "hunter" -- maybe not -- my imagination gets away sometimes.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31272 times
    If I lived in New Jersey, semi-wadcutters would probably be my first choice. Wait - what am I saying?
    jtg452 likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    7511 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    Use whatever is close to or exactly what LEO use. Of course, I reckon they don't carry .44s.

If you are ever involved (and let's hope not) they will look at what cartridges you were using and might make up something about you being a "hunter" -- maybe not -- my imagination gets away sometimes.
    Cast SWC 's are old tech and is more of a target round nowadays. The SWC-HP is old tech, too. Basically, it's the .44 Special version of the old 38+P FBI load from 30+ years ago. DA's aren't going to get any traction with that line of attack. Using more exotic, cutting edge designs (like some of the more aggressive expanding all copper designs) would be more of an issue in those circumstances.

My thinking is that at a low velocity that precludes reliable JHP expansion, soft alloys or pure lead will still deform and expand. Soft lead worked at low velocities in the BP era. If you are getting BP era velocities,why wouldn't it still work?
    Last edited by jtg452; 08-22-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    olfarhors and TheOldRedneck like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links