Taurus Firearm Forum banner

How much do you trust your Taurus firearm(s)?

5K views 39 replies 31 participants last post by  osbornk 
#1 ·
To begin with, I have Colts, Smiths and Rugers. Semi's and revolvers. About 6 months ago I bought a Taurus 856 and I absolutely love that gun. I even keep it out as my go-to-gun. I trust that 856 100%! I just recently bought a PT-22 to keep in the car. I keep it loaded with 9 rds. of Stinger HP's. Those Stingers will definitely get someone's attention if I ever had to use it for self-defense. Love my Taurus handguns! How about the rest of you all?

#2 ·
I trust mine enough that I even kept my PT145 that was a part of the settlement recall from a couple years ago. Still a great pistola!:thumb:

#4 ·
It's been a long time since I lurked or posted on here. First time back and I see this and I just have to comment.

I've owned one of just about every brand around anymore. I have no real brand loyalty. The only brand I've come back to 3 times or more is Taurus. They really do make a quality gun at an affordable price. I've never had an issue with any of mine and I trust them all with my life as I have carried them all at least once.

Also, welcome to the greatest forum full of the best enablers around :D

#5 ·
I have nothing but Taurus semi-auto's and revolvers right now, along with one crappy Ruger LCP.
I don't know about "love them" but I enjoy shooting them all. Should the occasion arise I feel confident that any one of them would perform as well as any other handgun in a self defense situation.

Reactions: Kevin Keith
#10 ·
The only problems I've had with mine so far have been solved with a thorough cleaning. I'm working over a new PT22 now that has some problems, but we'll see if I can ever get back to the range. That being said, I really don't trust any thing or any one (earthly, that is) with a few exceptions such as wife, kids, and best friend.

By the way, that's an interesting moniker. I'm assuming you're either in to music or the same named son of a junior.

Reactions: Kevin Keith
#11 ·
I have a PT145MilPro as one of my 3 carry guns. I also have a 24/7DS in 9mm, and 2 94's in .22. I've had no problems with any of them. I have north of 3000 rounds of various ammo through the PT, less through the 24/7. The 94's are club guns and probably have between 6 and 8 thousand rounds through both. Good guns.

#12 ·
My 605. 856, PT111 G2 and Spectrum have never had an issue of any kind and I have confidence in all of them. My TCP had a minor issue when new( 4 1/2 years ago) but I had confidence in it until the trigger stopped working a couple of weeks ago (it is now awaiting repair in Miami). The TCP has always been less confidence inspiring than my other handguns and I don't know why.

#14 ·
Not as much as I used to.

Both of my 85's have gotten out of time; one has taken the "vacation" in Miami, and I have lost some trust in it, not to mention the repair work was satisfactory, at best. The other 85 is now getting out of time, and will need to go back for repair soon. Someone told me it is from shooting a steady diet of +p ,38 special rounds in both of them, and not doing the "sparingly" thing with them. Each had about 10,000 rounds through them when they started to get loose,

Ever since I found the timing going out on them, my trust of Taurus building a quality revolver for the price has gone down. That may be why another brand name in revolvers is more popular in my gun safe.

#15 · (Edited)
At present I'm down to four Taurus® revolvers; 992B4 22LR/22Mag, 425SS4CP 41 Remington® Magnum, 605SS2 357 Mag, and 85SS2UL 38 Special. I trust all 100%.

Reactions: Qwiks draw
#17 ·
I trust Tuarus revolvers enough to give them as gifts to loved ones. My daily carry- which is on my hip as I type this in the coffee shop- is a Rossi 720 that I've had for over 20 years.

I trust Taurus guns more than the HK I own.

#19 ·
My M-85UL I trust with my life. I had a PT145 that I trusted about as much as I do the Democratic party, it failed to go bang fairly regularly as it would shave off metal from the primers and they would sometimes lodge into the striker channel causing the malfunction.

#21 ·
I have an will continue to carry Taurus as a defensive gun when I need to. I often carry the 9mm revolver as it is smaller even than the 85.

As far as the PT 22 goes, if you get a good one they work. I've seen 4 returned for service (shop policy-we cover return shipping on guns under warranty.) Since yours functions well, I recommend you use match grade ammo such as Eley Tenex. Match stuff is hand-primed, where regular manufactured 22's are machine primed. A faulty primer is the most common cause of rimfire ammunition failure.

#22 ·
I have several and trust all. They include a M-85, PT-1911, PT-145 Milpro. All have shot well and will stay with me for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#23 ·
Completely. I've handed one over to a family member who needed it, and what higher endorsement could you ask for?

When people speak about firearms in absolutes, I smirk and think of the Ruger revolver I used to own that was less reliable than any Taurus semi I've owned.

#24 ·
I've trusted every Taurus firearm I've ever owned with my life and the lives of my family. there's a lot of complaints about the brand and some of it's justified. the majority isn't. Start asking and you'll hear more often or not about a friend, co-worker, another guy at the shop, etc had the problem. I've also seen Taurus handguns outperform much more expensive counterparts. For the 1911, Everyone compares all 1911's to the colts as if colts are somehow flawless. Colt uses the same MIM parts that Taurus does. The fit and finish are better because if you're asking 3 times as much, half-assing it doesn't cut it. I've put my PT1911 up against a Wilson combat and the Taurus outperformed the wilson in accuracy and shootability. The wilson jammed up on the 3rd mag 5th round to the point we needed the RSO and gunsmith to clear it. The wilson cost 5 TIMES as much as my Taurus. Sure, its fit and finish were much better but if I needed it for constant fire, I would have been dead. My Taurus is near the 7000 round mark with zero failures after the break in period. That's why I trust them.

#25 ·
Glad to see others have kept and trust their PT-145, add me to that list. One of my favorite guns and one of two that I carry. Both my carry guns are Taurus guns.

While I trust all my guns I own I'm not going to say they have all been problem free. I have not really had any major problems with any of them and the minor problems I have had were among several brands and were easily taken care of with some detailed cleaning and buffing. A couple of the Taurus guns did need several hundred rounds fired to smooth them out and make them 100% reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.