Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Advice Sought: Red Dot Sights on Auto Pistols

Member #
    Liked
    45 times

Advice Sought: Red Dot Sights on Auto Pistols

Hello Forum!

I'm seeking general information and comments from people who have fitted and used red dot sights on semi-automatic pistols. I'm especially interested in comments regarding methods of mounting red dots, including machining, mounting bases, etc.

Of course, I'd like to hear from those who have actually DONE this and/or actually SHOT pistols with red dot sights! If you just have an opinion simply based on what you "think" about this (as opposed to actually having experience mounting or shooting guns equipped as such), it won't be of much use to me, so don't bother to reply, as I have heard all that kind of stuff already!

If anyone can inform me of sources for RDS mounts, please advise.

THANKS!
    Last edited by Bobbr3; 08-13-2019 at 11:44 AM.
    Robert

Coatesville, PA USA (Suburban Philadelphia)

NRA Patriot "Patron" Life Member

Amateur Radio Call Sign: KB3ZIM

Major Italian Car and Italian Firearm Fan!

Member #
    Liked
    2745 times
    I'm not sure but I don't think very many people own automatic pistols. I have a red dot mounted on my Glock 40 10mm but it was already machined.
    olfarhors likes this.
    Hang together or Hang seperately

Member #
    Liked
    2830 times
    I am using a red dot sight on my EAA Witness Elite Limited 9MM with an after market sight base the is made to screw on in place of the factory rear sight. It works well and has helped with my ancient eyes.
    Bobbr3 likes this.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6212 times
    I use red dot sights as well as reflex sights on both revolvers and semi auto handguns. Once I reached 70 years old I found that when shooting at any distance or shooting at moving targets My eyes were no longer what they used to be and I needed help. They are especially helpful to me when shooting bowling pins and steel plates.

The first picture is my GSG custom .22 steel plate gun. With a .22 it is crucial to keep weight on the slide to an absolute minimum so as to not interfere with the action of the slide. For that reason I chose a JP sight for the gun. The JP sight is a reflex sight which weighs less than one half ounce including the battery. There is no mount as the slide is drilled and tapped to directly accept the sight.

The second picture is another of my steel plate guns. It is my custom Smith & Wesson .22 Victory. I use a standard red dot sight mounted to the gun with rings to the standard rail that comes with the gun.

The third picture is a Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum. I use a red dot sight on the gun mounted with standard rings on a B-Square mount.

Don

Name:  green grips004.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  167.2 KB

Name:  20180709_202755.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  2.30 MB

Name:  20190613_125620.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  4.30 MB
    I see gun control as waiting in an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff when we should be building a fence at the top!

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31450 times
    I bought my Ruger Mk 2 at a gun show from a guy that had already added the scope, 2x LER. A couple of years ago, my cataracts got so bad I couldn't see the sights on one of my iron sighted guns. Heck, I could drive either. I finally turned 65, got medicare, and had the situation fixed. But, in the mean time, I bought a Pentax red dot scope for my Ruger and swapped it out on the Ruger. The dot is so much easier to see and now that my eyes work again, I've left the sight on the .22. When I'm not shooting well, I get the Ruger and figure out why and correct my problem.

It's not for carry in a normal holster. I have an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster I can carry it in the field with, originally bought for my TC Contender and scoped barrels. My Mk 2 fits it perfectly for squirrel hunting in the woods around me. It's quite fun to plink with. I don't know where the guy got the mount, but it fits the standard dove tail for the iron sight and has a tension set screw to keep it from moving around. It's quite solid. He said the mount costed him 35 bucks.

Scoped

With new red dot.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bobbr3 likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    22537 times
    I've shot enough of other people's guns with optical sights to know I'm not ready for that just yet. They didn't make me want one.

When my eyes go I'll probably mount them on my .22's. Both are equipped for mounting optics so it'll be easy. I have maybe one centerfire auto I'd do that too, a 1911. Maybe...but probably not. I don't think I could bring myself to put one on any of my S&W revolvers. I could do the Blackhawk.
    olfarhors, brojohn and Bobbr3 like this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    27027 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdog1 View Post
    I'm not sure but I don't think very many people own automatic pistols. I have a red dot mounted on my Glock 40 10mm but it was already machined.
    EXACTLY!!
    same with Semi Auto pistols!
    they are just a passing fad!!!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    27027 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    I've shot enough of other people's guns with optical sights to know I'm not ready for that just yet. They didn't make me want one.

When my eyes go I'll probably mount them on my .22's. Both are equipped for mounting optics so it'll be easy. I have maybe one centerfire auto I'd do that too, a 1911. Maybe...but probably not. I don't think I could bring myself to put one on any of my S&W revolvers. I could do the Blackhawk.

well as you do not list what gun, or what the intent of that gun will be hard to say my thoughts on it.
    1) if for range or plinking then maybe, its an acquired taste in my opinion.
    2) if you are talking about a self defense carry type weapon--NO-NADA- Never.
    don't need one more thing to possibly go wrong, one more thing to hang up on draw, and more weight and ize to tote around.
    I can do what in my opinion is just fine with any weapon that I carry with regular sights.
    IF for some reason that I decided to carry an optic on a self defense pistol I am pretty sure that pistol would be set up from the factory to accommodate a sight system, like a red dot.
    many now come with adaptable plates that secure the system well and are not overly tall and bulky.
    3) but agin every one has different taste and different things fit different people.
    Bobbr3 likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    31450 times
    I never thought a red dot would be for me until I got one. It's great on a quality .22 that is accurate enough to capitalize on the added accuracy of the system. I often tell people it's down right cheating. I just knee jerk was against adding a battery and circuitry to a handgun. I still don't know that I like batteries, but on a plinker like my Ruger, if the battery goes flat, I have a new one in a kitchen drawer to install. Ain't like it went flat when someone was shooting at me or something. Besides, at the time this was about the only handgun I could shoot my eyes were so bad. That cataract surgery is amazing.
    Last edited by NativeTexan; 08-13-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    Bobbr3 likes this.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    31450 times
    I have a red 3 dot sight on one of my crossbows, too. I have a scope on my new compound crossbow and I prefer the scope in that application, but I did kill a deer with the red dot on the recurve crossbow.

Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links