Advice Sought: Red Dot Sights on Auto Pistols - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Advice Sought: Red Dot Sights on Auto Pistols

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    well as you do not list what gun, or what the intent of that gun will be hard to say my thoughts on it.
    I was asking the question "in general," but since you brought it up: Beretta PX4 Storm .45ACP. I am also considering experimenting with other handguns I own. Looking at target shooting only (no self-defense use, exactly for the reasons you state). Of course, there are always mixed opinions, but so far, the majority of shooters I've asked who actually use them are very pleased with red dot sights on their pistols.
    olfarhors likes this.
    Robert

Coatesville, PA USA (Suburban Philadelphia)

NRA Patriot "Patron" Life Member

Amateur Radio Call Sign: KB3ZIM

Major Italian Car and Italian Firearm Fan!

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    For that reason I chose a JP sight for the gun. The JP sight is a reflex sight which weighs less than one half ounce including the battery. There is no mount as the slide is drilled and tapped to directly accept the sight.
    The third picture is a Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum. I use a red dot sight on the gun mounted with standard rings on a B-Square mount..
    Thanks for the reply and for making the effort to add photos! I also have a Ruger Blackhawk, and I like what you did with yours. I am not familiar with the JP sights, so I visited their website and will investigate them further.

THANKS for the information!
    Robert

Coatesville, PA USA (Suburban Philadelphia)

NRA Patriot "Patron" Life Member

Amateur Radio Call Sign: KB3ZIM

Major Italian Car and Italian Firearm Fan!

Member #
    Liked
    3624 times
    I test fired a friend's handgun with a reflex sight, and liked it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4382 times
    Used dots and scopes on all types of handguns from late 70's til now. For the really small dots mounted to slides remember that each time the slide cycles the dot takes a pounding. The cheap ones have not held up as well as the quality made ones that are not cheap. Mounts that are not attached to slide are still subject to recoil but not as rough on sight. That said I love the little dots that mount where rear sight goes. I have one now that needs to be rebuilt from recoil. The difference in groups using dot instead of regular sights with old eyes makes cost worth it.
    william likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21025 times
    I have several Semi Automatic and a Revolver fitted with red dot sights that I use for bullseye competition. they work great for this but are way too cumbersome to carry in a holster as a woods or PP pistol.

"Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Member #
    Liked
    4382 times
    That is one of the good things about the really small dot sights that fit where rear sight on semi auto or revolvers
    Much easier to get or modify holster for. Will say it is easy to lose the hood/cover that fits over the sight. Removing cover on some turns it on. The ones with short battery life will go dead. The ones with battery life that runs for thousands of hours is not an issue. You are also getting into the more expensive sights with the really long extended battery life.
    Last edited by TheOldRedneck; 08-15-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links