Media Morons - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Media Morons

Member #
    Liked
    26966 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    An easy way to remember that rifles are generally more potent than handguns.

The energy of the round is E=M•V2​. That is “Velocity” squared.

Bottom line, the velocity has more to do with destructive energy than the size/mass of the projectile. That requires no past experience of ballistics or even a ballistician - it’s a pure fundamental principle of physics.

Didn’t anyone watch Edwin Neuman’s, science editor for NBC News, back during the Gemini and Apollo rocket years? I could go further into how velocity is dependent on gravitational pull but I think I’ve covered it at a high level.
    well now that you ASKED!!
    NO I watched the Mickey Mouse club because Annette was on and she wore nice sweaters actually!----
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by daytonaredeye; 08-12-2019 at 12:31 PM.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    5229 times
    An easy way to remember that rifles are generally more potent than handguns.

The energy of the round is E=M • V2. That is “Velocity” squared.

Bottom line, the velocity has more to do with destructive energy than the size/mass of the projectile. That requires no past experience of ballistics or even a ballistician - it’s a pure fundamental principle of physics.

Didn’t anyone watch Edwin Neuman’s, science editor for NBC News, back during the Gemini and Apollo rocket years? I could go further into how velocity is dependent on gravitational pull but I think I’ve covered it at a high level.
    As a space geek kid, I always watched the minute by minute coverage of the Gemini and Apollo missions. Personally, I liked Jules Bergman on ABC best for space program coverage. He used models and props to demonstrate the liftoff, docking, descent, and misc maneuvers. Yes, I had models of the LEM, Command Module, and a big ol' Redstone on my dresser in my bedroom.

PS: I was unaware of the e-mv(^2) equation although I did have one those Einstein e-mc(^2) posters in my room.
    Last edited by daytonaredeye; 08-12-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    daytonaredeye likes this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Undercover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol Grip - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    5878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by .452dia View Post
    I also keep hearing the media refer to the weapons as Modified Assault rifles and AR-15's. The video I saw showed an AK type that may have been a SKS type carbine using the mag conversion but I never saw a 223 conversion for them.
    That's the thing I find amusing. With all of the anti gun folks out there which includes all of the media, I've never seen a single one who has bothered to learn anything about guns. Not ONE. They just call everything an assault rifle or better yet a machine gun. There are semi automatic 30.06 deer rifles out there that can be fitted with a 20 round mag that would cause a LOT more damage. None of them know the difference.
    .452dia likes this.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    768 times
    I dislike watching Shepard Smith (Fox) and Gayle King (CBS).

in fact I won’t watch either one.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20415 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chefduane View Post
    As a space geek kid, I always watched the minute by minute coverage of the Gemini and Apollo missions. Personally, I liked Jules Bergman on ABC best for space program coverage. He used models and props to demonstrate the liftoff, docking, descent, and misc maneuvers. Yes, I had models of the LEM, Command Module, and a big ol' Redstone on my dresser in my bedroom.

PS: I was unaware of the e-mv2 equation although I did have one those Einstein e-mc2 posters in my room.
    I was just gonna add that when a Gemini and Apollo were at their peak, it was waaaaaay before PowerPoint presentations were around and it would have required a building the size of Smithsonian to house enough tape driven computers to try to show decent graphics. All the Science editors (sic) req’d models.

And, E=M•V2 at the macro physics level is equivalent to E=M•C2​ at the quantum level. If your body were to suddenly go NOVA on ya the quantum equation (where V=C=speed of light) would come into play. Spontaneous human combustion anyone?
    Last edited by daytonaredeye; 08-12-2019 at 12:34 PM.
    chefduane likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20415 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Wasn't going to bring this up because I know how sensitive some people get with the subject and so I now will break one of my own rules.

In two different news reports I'd seen it was reported in one that the shooter used a 100 round Drum magazine and in the other report it was a 75 round magazine. All I can think to myself is Good Grief! Why? What practical purpose does a drum magazine serve?
    Actually a drum, or any extended capacity, magazine can be quite fun. I have a couple of the 33 round extended stick mags for Glock 9mm firearms. Yeah, I could shoot it for a while in my G19 but even more fun in my Ruger PCC 9mm which is set up to shoot any “Glock type 9mm” magazine. Gun stores in Ga tend to carry all sizes and capacities of magazines for all brands. I plan to buy a drum mag the next time I’m out and run across one - before some liberal hippy legislator gets a burr up their craw space.

BTW, do you NEED more than one square of toilet paper or is the reality of having more quantity more comfortable or more practical? Once you begin questioning “need” or practicality you begin leaning liberal. No one needs a car and in many places they may seem impractical but I’m an American and if I want one - and it’s legal - then I should be free to buy one! And that goes for any other product on the market, 5oo.

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    3865 times
    Actually a drum, or any extended capacity, magazine can be quite fun. I have a couple of the 33 round extended stick mags for Glock 9mm firearms.

BTW, do you NEED more than one square of toilet paper or is the reality of having more quantity more comfortable or more practical? Once you begin questioning “need” or practicality you begin leaning liberal.
    No Doubt. I do not own any long guns or any AR pistols and I have no urge to acquire any. Last month Czechbikr and I have a trip to the range together and he brought along his. I had great fun shooting a few of them and then there were a couple I didn't care for. Personally I fail to see the attraction but that is only relevant to me which must be why I do not own any. Now if I were in an area that had wild pigs or coyote to hunt then that make alter my thinking

Just because I do not see an attraction or use for myself in no way makes me believe that other can't find a use or enjoyment. Next. questioning why someone likes or needs something doesn't make them Liberal. It just means they are asking a question. Could be just curious, could be education and yes it could be judgemental.

As to your question, as a matter of fact yes I do need more than one square! Now you know!!!

For the record, Drum magazines could go the way of Bump Stocks and I wouldn't loose sleep either.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    5057 times
    I was just gonna add that when a Gemini and Apollo were at their peak, it was waaaaaay before PowerPoint presentations were around and it would have required a building the size of Smithsonian to house enough tape driven computers to try to show decent graphics. All the Science editors (sic) req’d models.

And, E=M•V(2) at the macro physics level is equivalent to E=M•C(2) at the quantum level. If your body were to suddenly go NOVA on ya the quantum equation (where V=C=speed of light) would come into play. Spontaneous human combustion anyone?
    Spontaneous human combustion anyone?

Isn't that "just making an ash out of yourself?
    kmw1954, olfarhors and GhostHorse like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20415 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    Spontaneous human combustion anyone?

Isn't that "just making an ash out of yourself?
    Not really . . . . when any body goes NOVA or superNOVA, there ain’t nothin left to ash. But since that requires a lot of gravitational pull to accomplish, which in turn requires a lot of mass, not very common. Well, maybe Jerald Nader . . ..

Member #
    Liked
    26966 times
    Not really . . . . when any body goes NOVA or superNOVA, there ain’t nothin left to ash. But since that requires a lot of gravitational pull to accomplish, which in turn requires a lot of mass, not very common. Well, maybe Jerald Nader . . ..
    Yea, I have seen a few spontaneous combustion of wood, paper and other organics ,
    don't look like fun so I think I will pass myself.
    never seen a human ignite without help from a bad guy/or girl however.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links