Media Morons - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Media Morons

Member #
    Liked
    3865 times
    A story to relate.

The guy that started me shooting was also a varmint shooter and one of his favorite guns was a Remington 700 Varminter in 22/250. He told a story of a time he was in Mt. Prairie Dog shooting at about 300yds. Hot day and a lot of heat waves coming from the ground so all he seen in his scope was a silhouette of a dog. He told me of how he took 3 shots at it and it was still sitting on the mound. He then put down the rifle and walked out to it. When he got to it yes it was sitting in the hole but it's head was gone from the shoulders up. His other favorite gun was a Remington 700 Varminter in 25/06!

For me it makes no difference as I don't want to be shot period!
    TonyC2639 likes this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyC2639 View Post
    Well if it's in the NY Times it must be true lol. I don't doubt that a rifle in general has more velocity and does more damage. To single out an "assault weapon", whatever that is, is ridiculous. The most popular AR rifle is .223. I would imagine it does the least amount of damage than all the other calibers.

well like all caliber wars there are so many things to figure in, especially the what ifs?
    generally speaking a rifle round is going to do more damage simply because it carries with it a lot more energy.
    but then what type of projectile does it carry on the end?
    is the projectile so near unstable that it tumbles or does it pretty much drill a nice lil round hole right through the target?
    the 223/556 lets face it is not considered the killer cartridge that so many think it is, in the AR it is a very effective wounding machine though.
    I mean the cartridge has under gone a steady change/improvement to better make it a killer round, but its not a 308, 30-06 0r 50 cal for sure.
    but you sure can a carry a lot of them lil bitty Booletts!
    Peacemakr40 and TonyC2639 like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    7278 times
    I also keep hearing the media refer to the weapons as Modified Assault rifles and AR-15's. The video I saw showed an AK type that may have been a SKS type carbine using the mag conversion but I never saw a 223 conversion for them.
    Last edited by .452dia; 08-07-2019 at 04:15 PM.
    NC DCJTSD Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6431 times
    The meda is just full of them.
    TonyC2639 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    21781 times
    Quote Originally Posted by garyh View Post
    The meda is just full of them.
    Shorter version...........

The media is them.

More accurate..........
    TonyC2639 and muddcatt54 like this.
    Remember:
    Life is short.
    Make sure you spend as much time as possible
    on the internet arguing with strangers about politics.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20408 times
    An easy way to remember that rifles are generally more potent than handguns.

The energy of the round is E=M•V(^2). That is “Velocity” squared.

Bottom line, the velocity has more to do with destructive energy than the size/mass of the projectile. That requires no past experience of ballistics or even a ballistician - it’s a pure fundamental principle of physics.

Didn’t anyone watch Edwin Neuman’s, science editor for NBC News, back during the Gemini and Apollo rocket years? I could go further into how velocity is dependent on gravitational pull but I think I’ve covered it at a high level.
    Last edited by daytonaredeye; 08-08-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    21781 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    An easy way to remember that rifles are generally more potent than handguns.

The energy of the round is E=M x V(2). That is “Velocity” squared.

Bottom line, the velocity has more to do with destructive energy than the size/mass of the projectile. That requires no past experience of ballistics or even a ballistician - it’s a pure fundamental principle of physics.

Didn’t anyone watch Edwin Neuman’s, science editor for NBC News, back during the Gemini and Apollo rocket years? I could go further into how velocity is dependent on gravitational pull but I think I’ve covered it at a high level.
    Well............no.
    But I did watch several episodes of Watch Mr. Wizard when I was 7 and 8.
    Remember:
    Life is short.
    Make sure you spend as much time as possible
    on the internet arguing with strangers about politics.

Member #
    Liked
    3865 times
    Wasn't going to bring this up because I know how sensitive some people get with the subject and so I now will break one of my own rules.

In two different news reports I'd seen it was reported in one that the shooter used a 100 round Drum magazine and in the other report it was a 75 round magazine. All I can think to myself is Good Grief! Why? What practical purpose does a drum magazine serve?
    muddcatt54 likes this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    In two different news reports I'd seen it was reported in one that the shooter used a 100 round Drum magazine and in the other report it was a 75 round magazine. All I can think to myself is Good Grief! Why? What practical purpose does a drum magazine serve?
    The drum I had was very useful in learning to clear malfunctions, that thing was junk!

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Wasn't going to bring this up because I know how sensitive some people get with the subject and so I now will break one of my own rules.

NO need to reload for a loooong time.
    course the weight would be an issue for me personally, ifn you practice mag changes then it really doesn't take that long to reload a AR , especially wiff that release on the trigger finger side!
    never used a drum mag but have heard all kinds of negative and positive results as to function with them.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links