How to safely defend yourself during an active shooter event - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: How to safely defend yourself during an active shooter event

Member #
    Liked
    27047 times
    just some ideas in a common large store or wally world, remember cover and concealment is not the same. and cover will vary with what weapon/caliber is used.
    but gebnerally all these large span buildings will have either steel post, or concrete post to support the roof, usually will be covered in sheet rock for appearances, then you have fire doors, and of course either cinder block or concrete structrual walls and fire walls.
    and of course at concealment there are hundreds of places.
    just remember or learn which is which.
    is it better to take cover behind a rack of womens clothing or behind a rack of oil, antifreeze in cans in the automotive section?
    what about a rack of tires on display?
    think!!!!
    TO me again its about looking around and making notes in your head where such things are at as you come into a building along with the exits.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    11144 times
    One of my major concerns when taking troops into combat was how the new guys would react. No one really knows what they will do or how they will react until they have been under fire that first time. That first time everyone processes differently. Had an uncle in Korea who in his first battle had human waves of Chinese coming at him and froze, only his First Sergeant kicking him and the butt and telling him to fight or die got him started, after that he was OK, surviving that conflict and returning home. Considering that first battle for him was as an Infantryman facing the Chinese attack over the Yalu River, surviving until armistice without being wounded was almost a miracle. No one is prepared for their first fight, but I have found that thinking yourself through what happens in these situations helps your mind to process during an actual encounter. Still in that initial encounter, most people either get angry and fight, freeze with the moral implications, or flee in panic. Anger is dangerous because it causes action without thought, freezing is the act of your mind not processing quickly, and fleeing in panic is again action without thought. I know I told both my boys this many times as they got ready for their first deployment, an angry enemy is an easy target, a thinking enemy is the most difficult, and that works in both directions. Don't let your emotions take over, use your mind to fight. Do not let fairness and/or honor enter your mind in terms of tactics, if they do your tactics suck and they will get your people killed. Be smart and be overwhelming. I love Coach Saban's football philosophy here, "Make the other guy want to quit."

I fully understand the need to protect one's family, and if it is just me and the Grandkids, they get to safety first. But I know myself well enough that I will not sit by and do nothing. And as I used to do this for a living, I have no problem showing others what needs to be done, or organizing a plan of attack. It really does not take much to stop these lone wolves, they do not expect resistance until the police arrive and they sure as heck are not expecting to be ambushed by any of the sheep. JMHO
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20905 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimbly View Post
    It is hard to say, but a few things you might want to consider.

Cover vs. concealment. Some stuff will hide you and that is it. Some stuff will hide you and maybe stop some of the incoming fire.

And while it might be the right thing to do, from what I understand, you are under no obligation to help anyone. That being said, if it is in the cards that you save my family.... thanks.

There are a lot of stories of mass shooting being stopped by armed civilians. The plus side of all of this, is these people are rarely very skilled as criminals tend not to be.
    Cover is always my first thought and concern. I am not trained to draw upon hearing gunfire. I am quite adept at ducking and finding something, anything, to get behind.

My first priority is safety of anyone with me - including myself. If I accomplish that then, and only then, do I even think about trying to locate the source of the gunshots. I’m one of those who ALWAYS carries, too, but that is one of my last concerns; and I do often open carry. If by some “perfect storm” of actions, the shooter becomes apparent T-H-E-N (and only then) I would have to decide if I wanted to engage. Would I break cover to take a shot? Dunno. That depends on the thickness of the civilian crowd and a clear shooting lane - which also would include citizen background as well.

Cannot really ever truly anticipate what one would do but would hope and pray that there was a camera catching the action wherever it played out.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1070 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Cover is always my first thought and concern. I am not trained to draw upon hearing gunfire. I am quite adept at ducking and finding something, anything, to get behind.

My first priority is safety of anyone with me - including myself. If I accomplish that then, and only then, do I even think about trying to locate the source of the gunshots. I’m one of those who ALWAYS carries, too, but that is one of my last concerns; and I do often open carry. If by some “perfect storm” of actions, the shooter becomes apparent T-H-E-N (and only then) I would have to decide if I wanted to engage. Would I break cover to take a shot? Dunno. That depends on the thickness of the civilian crowd and a clear shooting lane - which also would include citizen background as well.

Cannot really ever truly anticipate what one would do but would hope and pray that there was a camera catching the action wherever it played out.
    You better be trained to keep your gat concealed and holster when you hear gun fire. Do not pull your gun until you have a target and the need to use it. You pull that gun and are not in uniform you have became suspect. You need to shoot it, do so and put it back in its holster as soon as possible.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links