How to safely defend yourself during an active shooter event - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: How to safely defend yourself during an active shooter event

Member #
    Liked
    26512 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FLShutterbug View Post
    I have a concealed carry license and carry daily with weekly practice at the range. With the recent spate of active shooter events, I have been trying to wrestle with what would be the best/preferred way to defend myself and someone with me if I were to find myself shopping in a Walmart when an active shooter decides to start shooting. If the shooter is not in my immediate area and there is an Exit close by, I'm exiting stage left! But what if the shooter is between me and the nearest Exit and hiding to wait for LE to arrive is not an option. How should the armed good guy engage the bad guy without getting shot by the responding police?

well first in PPA (Places of Public assembly) basically anywhere with a possible occupancy of 100 or more people, will be /should be required to have multiple exits, number will depend on the possible number of people allowed in the area.
    so generally a department sized store will have many exits, and they should be marked with an illuminated sign, it is also against the law for these exits to be locked..
    I always check for where the exits are located anytime I come onto a building.
    as for the best means to handle what you describe IN MY OPINION is to take the threat out as quickly as you can, the best way to handle a law enforcement response is to call 911 and explain to the operator what has happened and ask for instructions as to what to do, the operator should be in contact with on scene and incoming police.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    927 times
    Also, your ammo will be limited, make every shot count. Greenwolf70...hit it on the head. I have been carrying a spare mag for years, but a few months ago I started putting a pocket ammo holder in my rear pocket when I carry a small capacity firearm. Not a lot ,but 18 more rds might save my or the life of someone else. Just pray I would have the opportunity to load my mags for other shots if needed.Name:  SAM_1868.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  836.2 KB
    rollin thunder likes this.
    "She said her name was Emergency and asked to see my gun....said her telephone number was 911"

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FLShutterbug View Post
    I have a concealed carry license and carry daily with weekly practice at the range. With the recent spate of active shooter events, I have been trying to wrestle with what would be the best/preferred way to defend myself and someone with me if I were to find myself shopping in a Walmart when an active shooter decides to start shooting. If the shooter is not in my immediate area and there is an Exit close by, I'm exiting stage left! But what if the shooter is between me and the nearest Exit and hiding to wait for LE to arrive is not an option. How should the armed good guy engage the bad guy without getting shot by the responding police?
    It is hard to say, but a few things you might want to consider.
    Cover vs. concealment. Some stuff will hide you and that is it. Some stuff will hide you and maybe stop some of the incoming fire.

If you decide engaging is the right thing to do, have whoever is with you go somewhere else if at all possible. When you start shooting at them, they are in all likelihood going to shoot back at you unless you stop the show right away.

In many cases, these criminals are like other criminals. They are looking for victims not a fight, and they are rarely trained.

And while it might be the right thing to do, from what I understand, you are under no obligation to help anyone. That being said, if it is in the cards that you save my family.... thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    IMO, there are too many variables that would decide this for you. I already said my opinion in the El Paso thread that under the circumstances where the shooter is using an assault weapon, your window of opportunity is very small. If you couldn't flee, then that kinda takes away your choices and you have to stand and fight.

I've been giving this a lot of thought since the shootings, and I'm done carrying too little gun. Texas being an open carry state, I'm going to be carrying at the very least my Shield 9mm with two backup mags. If I print, or somebody can tell I'm carrying, well I'm not too concerned anymore because I need to feel like I would have a chance if some idiot and his AK came into the store I happened to be frequenting.

I'll probably start carrying my 1911's more, as well. And my full sized Sig P226. I've got backup mags galore for all of these guns, and while I would still be messing my pants about having to go up against an assault rifle, I'd have a much better chance than if I was carrying my Ruger LCP with a spare mag. That much I know.
    Still wouldn't open carry. Don't wanna give someone like that a reason to pick you first. Grey man all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    It may not be the smart move, but if I were witnessing innocent people getting slaughtered and I had the ability to do something to stop it I think I would have to at least try. Right or wrong, I would forever count myself a coward if I had to live with the fact that I did nothing while innocent people were being killed. My best advice would be to shoot from a position behind cover, if it were available.
    I have 2 kids. If I can nope them the hell out a fire exit that is going to be my first priority.

Quote Originally Posted by rollin thunder View Post
    A pistol vs. a rifle is hardly fair to begin with. Your tactics would have to come into play and personally, I'm about tacticed out. Currently carrying a 7 shot .380. I may want to rethink that.
    Now, I will say this, when the shots start flying back toward them, they tend to run.
    There are a lot of stories of mass shooting being stopped by armed civilians. The plus side of all of this, is these people are rarely very skilled as criminals tend not to be.
    "The strongest tactical move is always the one in which you reap the highest gain, at the lowest cost."

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30890 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chefduane View Post
    A few months ago my wife and I went to a 'how to survive and active shoot' seminar put on by the Plano PD. Their advice was;
    1. PRIOR to any incident and just as a matter of daily life MAINTAIN SITATIONAL AWARENESS. Glance left and right when walking, look around for anything 'odd' etc.. know your surroundings, where are the exits, where are potential laces to hide.
    2. If an incident does happen, TAKE COVER. Secured cover if possible.
    3. Determine where the gunfire is coming from and (their words) SEEK EGRESS. Meaning find a place to flee.
    4. If it is not possible to flee, be prepared to LODGE IN PLACE if required. You may be there a while and if you are in a secured safe place DO NOT exit until the police find YOU.
    5. Assuming you are armed, DO NOT ENGAGE THE ACTIVE SHOOTER. Follow the above protocols if possible. The extreme last resort is to engage, but if you must their recommendation was per police procedure for armed self defense: clear the area behind point of aim, engage close enough for any encounter to be meaningful, and shoot to kill. If successful, ground your weapon, raise your hands over your head and shout "CALL 911. CALL THE POLICE."

Or course the above is a list of recommendations. In reality, all hell would break loose and for civilians it would be mayhem.

Okay, but before I raise my hands, I'll get my carry permit/DL out to hand the cops and I'll be sure he/she's the only perp, not necessarily in that order. Then, I'll grab MY phone and call 911. I won't disarm until I actually SEE a cop.
    chefduane likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    5365 times
    Pistol isn't much of a defense against a rifle provided the rifle operator is using it properly.

Seem most times these guys are just doing "spray and pray". Looks like the El Paso shooter
    was basically shooting from the hip unless I saw the wrong video. This was not a person with
    close quarters rifle training. If you are proficient with a handgun, your odds went up.

I had to go to Walmart today. Couldn't go in without taking the 709 with me. Would have liked
    bigger but the 709 drops in my pocket, loosely so I can get it out pretty quickly.

All the Best,
    D. White
    __________________________________________________ __________
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
    rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Member #
    Liked
    4929 times
    ^^^

Went to my local Walmart today and was carrying my Ruger LCPII w/ an extra mag (as always.) Have been shopping for a Marlin 336. $384 at Walmart everyday price. .. thin I'm going to go back in a few days and buy one.
    pegasus likes this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    3429 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post

I've been giving this a lot of thought since the shootings, and I'm done carrying too little gun. Texas being an open carry state, I'm going to be carrying at the very least my Shield 9mm with two backup mags. If I print, or somebody can tell I'm carrying, well I'm not too concerned anymore because I need to feel like I would have a chance if some idiot and his AK came into the store I happened to be frequenting.

I'll probably start carrying my 1911's more, as well. And my full sized Sig P226. I've got backup mags galore for all of these guns, and while I would still be messing my pants about having to go up against an assault rifle, I'd have a much better chance than if I was carrying my Ruger LCP with a spare mag. That much I know.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by chefduane View Post
    ^^^

Went to my local Walmart today and was carrying my Ruger LCPII w/ an extra mag (as always.) Have been shopping for a Marlin 336. $384 at Walmart everyday price. .. thin I'm going to go back in a few days and buy one.
    This is a timely topic, regarding the LCP or LCP II, as I was just talking with someone who carries one in the summer, and a bigger gun in the winter. He can put his LCP in one of his pockets. Since the mass shootings he's expressed to me whether he should carry his compact nine full time, but he doesn't want to. He can shoot the LCP pretty good at distances 10 yards or shorter, but for him 15 is the limit at which he can reliably get effective hits. He's tried the LCP II and pretty much the same. The main problem for him is the short sight radius. I told him that as far as defensive gun usages in general, statistically the old FBI stat's are probably still right, that most shootings (plain robberies or assaults) 90% are 7 yds or less, and half are 3 yds or less. For those situations an LCP could be the right tool for the job if you practice with it.

Despite the recent news statistically the average person has about the same chance of being in a mass shooting as winning the lotto. If however a mass shooting was a concern definitely take a larger gun, because IF you have to shoot you might have to shoot from longer distances than that. In addition some mass shooters wear body armor, so if you have to shoot your target areas are limited. Whatever you carry you need to be able to get accurate hits. Mass shooters have the luxury of spray and pray if needed and have lots of rounds, law abiding carriers usually don't and are responsible if their rounds hit innocent people.
    chefduane likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    30995 times
    This is a timely topic, regarding the LCP or LCP II, as I was just talking with someone who carries one in the summer, and a bigger gun in the winter. He can put his LCP in one of his pockets. Since the mass shootings he's expressed to me whether he should carry his compact nine full time, but he doesn't want to. He can shoot the LCP pretty good at distances 10 yards or shorter, but for him 15 is the limit at which he can reliably get effective hits. He's tried the LCP II and pretty much the same. The main problem for him is the short sight radius. I told him that as far as defensive gun usages in general, statistically the old FBI stat's are probably still right, that most shootings (plain robberies or assaults) 90% are 7 yds or less, and half are 3 yds or less. For those situations an LCP could be the right tool for the job if you practice with it.

Despite the recent news statistically the average person has about the same chance of being in a mass shooting as winning the lotto. If however a mass shooting was a concern definitely take a larger gun, because IF you have to shoot you might have to shoot from longer distances than that. In addition some mass shooters wear body armor, so if you have to shoot your target areas are limited. Whatever you carry you need to be able to get accurate hits. Mass shooters have the luxury of spray and pray if needed and have lots of rounds, law abiding carriers usually don't and are responsible if their rounds hit innocent people.
    A couple of things....first, if carrying a LCP makes you feel fine when a mall terrorist unloads with his AK-47, then thats great. I own an LCP, and if I had that in my pocket and had to go up against an AK-47, I'd be seriously wishing I had taken my carry duties a little more seriously that day when I rolled out of bed. And, I wouldn't throw around that lotto statement with the people who went through the situation in El Paso or Dayton. Or any of the other increasing situations where a seriously misguided or completely insane shooter decides he wants to see how many people he can kill.
    NativeTexan likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30890 times
    If you can't hit past 10 yards and you want to carry as a defense against a BG with a rifle, I'd suggest a lot more practice. First of all, seek cover. Second, if you have to shoot beyond your known effective range, seek a rest for the gun. Everyone will shoot better with the gun rested over something solid.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    4929 times
    Well of course given the circumstances, as handguns go one could carry a MagRes Desert Eagle 50AE with a spare mag. It'll get the job done at any range and it pretty much would only take one appropriately placed round to stop the threat. Heck, you could probably hit a BG in the foot and remove most of his lower leg. But, you know, like, that doesn't conceal too well and can be a bit weighty when carried regularly on the belt. So I guess (as always) it comes back to carrying what works for you in the caliber that works for you. In the Texas summer its an LCPII. In the winter its the PT111G2. So there.
    pegasus likes this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links