Folks really need to stop associating self-defense with their own self-esteem. - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree186Likes

Thread: Folks really need to stop associating self-defense with their own self-esteem.

Member #
    Liked
    2210 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigborgel View Post
    Insecure people are constantly in need of validation of their choices. I'm surprised at your issue, usually it's the other way around, you would want a 9MM, and they would be pushing the larger calibers. Caliber selection is pretty simple, use the largest caliber you can shoot accurately, with minimum muzzle flip, a comfortable amount of felt recoil, and the ability to maintain your sight picture. I'm 74 y/o, and find that the .380 round suits me and my needs, would I prefer to carry a 9MM, probably, but I'd be shooting all over the place, 380's I can keep tight. Simple, no ego or macho BS, just common sense. More rounds in the target are what count.
    I think it's just a "grass is always greener" sort of thing. There's always someone who will argue that what you choose for self-defense isn't the correct choice and that you'd be better off with something else. It just seems more specific when you have a single general use cartridge that you use for self-defense. I'm still relatively new to handgun cartridges and I'm a brainiac, so I'm always eager to learn more about them even if I have no intention of ever carrying them, so I've seen folks argue against everything.
    .380 ACP is actually my primary carry cartridge of choice as well, with my main carry gun being either a Walther PPK/S and/or Ruger LCP. I think that the .380 ACP is an adequate self-defense cartridge, my decision to carry a more powerful cartridge is not a result of a perceived need for more, but rather the fact that if I can carry something as heavy as the PPK/S for the majority of the year, have grown used to the size/weight, then I figure that I might as well carry something of similar size/weight, and most modern guns of similar size/weight to the PPK/S are chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W, or some of the smaller .45 ACP pistols like the M&P45 Shield or Springfield Armory XD-S. I'll continue to carry the LCP year round, but for the colder months when I can comfortably carry something heavier, it just makes more sense to carry something more powerful, I think. That's where I am right now, anyway.
    9mm Luger is good too of course, I'm even considering a Ruger EC9s because I've shot my brother's LC9s and really loved the look/feel, but I also really dig the features of the S&W M&P Shield, which I think I might prefer, especially since it comes chambered in more powerful cartridges.

That's the funniest part about all this, I haven't written off the 9mm Luger cartridge, it's just that I already know everything I need to know about 9mm, so I'm currently trying to learn more about .40 S&W and .45 ACP because I don't foresee either being too much for me to handle, ergo if I can carry something more, then why wouldn't I? But folks are just so adamant about 9mm Luger being "just as effective as .40 or .45" because the FBI said so that they feel the need to force that philosophy on everyone.
    Personally, I would rather buy a .40 and in the event that the recoil proves too much I could always buy a 9mm conversion barrel, yet retain the option to shoot .40 if I want to or whatever.
    Czechbikr likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    6286 times
    I have a simple point of view, I will carry what I like and you do the same. Discussion ended.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30882 times
    I'm beginning to think capacity is a little more important than it once was for me. It's all these mall/mass shootings going down this week. If I'm going to take on some psycho with an AK and a 100 round drum, I just MIGHT need more'n one shot, maybe. I may be shooting at the head, though, and my revolvers are more accurate than most of my autos, but not by all that much I'll admit.

Anyway, these mass shootings have me thinking about my next trip to Walmart. I don't mess with malls anymore, though. Heck, most of 'em are about ready to close down what with competition from Amazon. Shopping Amazon is a lot safer, too.
    olfarhors and Kevin Keith like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I'm beginning to think capacity is a little more important than it once was for me. It's all these mall/mass shootings going down this week. If I'm going to take on some psycho with an AK and a 100 round drum, I just MIGHT need more'n one shot, maybe. I may be shooting at the head, though, and my revolvers are more accurate than most of my autos, but not by all that much I'll admit.

Anyway, these mass shootings have me thinking about my next trip to Walmart. I don't mess with malls anymore, though. Heck, most of 'em are about ready to close down what with competition from Amazon. Shopping Amazon is a lot safer, too.
    From what I have read, most of these guys are stopped with police carrying pistols though. That is a leftist argument, that a guy with a pistol wont be able to stop a madman with a rifle and that argument just doesn't hold water.

Honestly, I've carried some uncommon pistols before. I wouldn't tell you want caliber or pistol you should carry anymore that I would tell you what kind of socks to buy. All I will do is tell you what I like and why, and it should be taken as such.
    NativeTexan likes this.
    "The strongest tactical move is always the one in which you reap the highest gain, at the lowest cost."

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30882 times
    Well, I'm just saying I have been favoring my high cap 9 to my .357 revolvers lately.

No, the revolvers AIN'T for sale.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    8413 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    I was going to mention the stellar mods and admins here but that wouldn't be - humble - would it?
    "Thank you." "Thank you" "No applause." "Just throw money."

Member #
    Liked
    26503 times
    Well, I'm just saying I have been favoring my high cap 9 to my .357 revolvers lately.

No, the revolvers AIN'T for sale.

Finally!!!!
    maybe next thing will be moving on to Electricity and getting rid of the Kerosene Lanterns!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    26503 times

Well I am sure MOST of us have NOT been in such a situation, but I would think that in such a case it would be even more important to make the first 2-3 rounds count toward the assailant.
    body armor, then it might be time for the head shot or a hip/leg shot if you could keep your composure well enough to think about that.
    MY take (depending on range to target) if near ,say with in 15-20 yards I would hope that I would do my triple tap, if further and I was thinking right I might consider all the concrete, tile, and such that a random bad shot might take someone else out? lot depends on your reaction to pressure.
    at the end of the day however even if not a really good shot or really tore up by adrenalin even IF you missed a few shots to me its kind of like I use to tell people, hell Bad CPR is better than NO CPR, same with not confronting a shooter like this in my opinion.
    NativeTexan likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Member #
    Liked
    26503 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacher39 View Post
    Hey, I'm not old.
    Wait; yes I am.
    If I run out of ammo I'll just hit them with my cane.
    I have a cane for each pistol.
    My EDC............every day cane is my favorite.
    Had a cane done in camo but I can't find it now.........
    A couple fo suggestions for those that find themselves constantly running out of ammo before the job is done!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    slong115 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3427 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimbly View Post
    From what I have read, most of these guys are stopped with police carrying pistols though. That is a leftist argument, that a guy with a pistol wont be able to stop a madman with a rifle and that argument just doesn't hold water.

Honestly, I've carried some uncommon pistols before. I wouldn't tell you want caliber or pistol you should carry anymore that I would tell you what kind of socks to buy. All I will do is tell you what I like and why, and it should be taken as such.
    Here are just two examples out of many more. a civilian with a 357 revolver shot a guy with a rifle who had murdered people at a mobile home park, and was preparing to murder a responding deputy sheriff. Allegedly a terrorist with a real AK and a suicide vest entered a cafe in Israel and was taken out by a woman who pulled a pistol out of her purse and shot him. Someone forgot to tell that man and that woman that you can't defend yourself against someone with an assault rife when you only have a "mere" handgun.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links