best affordable pellet air rifle for small game hunting
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: best affordable pellet air rifle for small game hunting

Member #
    Liked
    3570 times

best affordable pellet air rifle for small game hunting

And by affordable, I mean the least expensive that will still be accurate enough and powerful enough for rabbits out to distances at least 25 yards. I'm not wanting to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars and compete in the Olympics. Also something that does not use CO2 cartridges. Someone recently recommended a Remington air rifle, but I didn't realize there was more than one model of Remington air rifle, and the guy is currently not available for me to follow up with him for about a week. Although I may still get a Remington, I wanted input as to other brands and models that would also do the job for dispatching smaller critters without using shotguns or bow and arrows.

In case anyone's wondering why I'm not asking this question in another thread r/t airguns and survival, this has nothing to do with survivalism. Also not looking to use bow and arrows even though I have them. Besides, that thread has devolved into tp discussions.
    This question is simply about pellet rifles.
    Czechbikr and daytonaredeye like this.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Airforce Condor SS in .25 cal.

Member #
    Liked
    3570 times
    Quote Originally Posted by steamburn View Post
    Airforce Condor SS in .25 cal.
    Thanks but when I said "affordable" I meant somewhere well under the 814.99 suggested retail of the airgun you mentioned.
    Czechbikr and TonyC2639 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7594 times
    Check these out , all under $300 , with good review and pros and cons .

https://airriflepro.com/best-air-rifle-300/

Member #
    Liked
    899 times
    You can still find an old Sheridan blue streak in great shape for $250. Find any olld pumper and have it rebuilt better than new with todays valves and seals. It's called a steroid kit. Mac-1 air guns will sell you the parts or rebuild it for you for less than tha $175. 1960-2005 Benjamin, Franklin or Sheridan pumper better than new for less than$300.
    A .22 cal. pumper making 900fps with a lead pellet is a air rifle! They don't make a good heavy barrel like they did back in the 60's -80s today. Find an old gun with a good barrel and restore it. 10 time better than break barrels. For hunting small game the .5 mm or .20cal is far better than .177 or .22 in a old pumper. Just go to any air gun forum and any of collectors or serious shooters have at lest one or more .20cal Sheridan blue or silver streaks. I have a rocker safety 1968 blue streak and it will kill coons with a head shot no problem. Clean hole in the skull. It is accurate and as powerful than any rim fire .22 inside 50 yards. I'm killing squirrels stone dead out to 75 yard with mine. Go to GTA air gun forum and read about the Dans (Sheridan). They are legionary and highly valued as a hunter. Baker air guns has some old rebuilt Dans for sale ever now and than. Look at their webb site.
    TheOldRedneck likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31211 times
    Have you checked Walmart? Some years ago I felt the need, got a Crossman 177 that was 100 bucks. It wasn't bad, though I'd rather have a .22 for rabbits, something a little more powerful than my old Benjamin pump up I had when I was a kid. My first rabbit took 4 pellets to put down.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    10991 times
    If you want a PCP, I would suggest you look around for a place to recharge them. Most of the cost in a PCP is in refilling the air tanks. That said, if you are somewhat rural, go to your volunteer fire department and ask if they can refill a dive tank. Many VFD's have compressors to refill their own air tanks. These are compressors that are refilling breathable tanks and at high pressure, so they are perfect for refilling PCP tanks. They may even have a cheap tank for you to use to recharge your PCP in the field. Many will refill your tank for free, but they always appreciate a donation.

Benjamin makes a good solid PCP that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. But lately there are some newer players bringing in competitive model PCPs, like Hatsan and Umarex.

Springers are the hardest to shoot, but are unencumbered with extraneous equipment needs. If you do go for a springer, and they are the cheapest, look for one that has a gas piston. They will shoot just a little smoother and be a little easier to cock. You will see a lot of "high powered" springers, and they are a little harder to shoot because of the stronger action, but in actuality, the high powered springer IMO mean shoot a heavier pellet and try to keep them barely sub sonic, or around 1,000 fps. Ruger and Remington both sell rebranded springers. Look around at some of the discount online sellers, like Pyramid Air. They will have a lot of videos, and you tube is useful for reviews on different models.

If rabbits at 25 yards are what you are after, I would advise you go with a .22, as opposed to the .177. The .20 is just to hard to find pellets for, IMO. Silencers are legal if they are permanently attached to the air rifle barrel, but they will cost you a little velocity.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    31211 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickthus View Post
    You can still find an old Sheridan blue streak in great shape for $250. Find any olld pumper and have it rebuilt better than new with todays valves and seals. It's called a steroid kit. Mac-1 air guns will sell you the parts or rebuild it for you for less than tha $175. 1960-2005 Benjamin, Franklin or Sheridan pumper better than new for less than$300.
    A .22 cal. pumper making 900fps with a lead pellet is a air rifle! They don't make a good heavy barrel like they did back in the 60's -80s today. Find an old gun with a good barrel and restore it. 10 time better than break barrels. For hunting small game the .5 mm or .20cal is far better than .177 or .22 in a old pumper. Just go to any air gun forum and any of collectors or serious shooters have at lest one or more .20cal Sheridan blue or silver streaks. I have a rocker safety 1968 blue streak and it will kill coons with a head shot no problem. Clean hole in the skull. It is accurate and as powerful than any rim fire .22 inside 50 yards. I'm killing squirrels stone dead out to 75 yard with mine. Go to GTA air gun forum and read about the Dans (Sheridan). They are legionary and highly valued as a hunter. Baker air guns has some old rebuilt Dans for sale ever now and than. Look at their webb site.
    Before the seals went bad in my old Benjamin in the early 80s, I had just gotten my first chronograph. I tested the chronograph with the air rifle (.22 caliber) and got a consistent 400 fps. The old gun never set the world on fire, but it was my intro to small game hunting at 7 years of age. I got it for Christmas.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    7594 times
    I’ve read that you must dry shoot several times to help set the seals so they don’t leak later down the road . ^^^^^^^

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    31211 times
    Well, mine lasted about 20 years before the seals started leaking.
    RonPT24/7 likes this.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links