.38 Snakeshot - a quick field study
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: .38 Snakeshot - a quick field study

Member #
    Liked
    31481 times

.38 Snakeshot - a quick field study

Well, after 20 years in New Mexico, with a lot of it spent in reasonably snakey territory/activities, my count is 2 and 1. I've seen two rattlesnakes, and killed one.

We were leaving our house yesterday, and passed a snake in the road. My wife always asks "is that a rattlesnake?" when we witness the legless creatures on asphalt, and this time the answer was yes. Raised head, raised tail, and there was a rattle on that tail. I back the car up, got a good look to confirm, and backed up some more. Thought for sure I'd made road line linguini, but the little sucker was too quick. So I got out, got some big (say, 2-3 times the size of my fist) rocks and went biblical on his lack of behind. I sent him to Colorado. He got stoned.

Yes, the skin is drying and about to be tanned, and it will be incorporated into a snake shot revolver holster.

So I finally got off my behind and tested my standard pest load. I've been carrying my non-View as you can see here (sorry about the rotation issue):

Three snakeshot loads, and two FMJ just in case... coyotes, whatever. I like how light it is, I like the corrosion resistance, and it carries very comfortably in my pocket around the house.

So let's see how it actually patterns. Yes, I know, I should have done this the day before I ever carried it for pests the first time. I put some sharpie circles around the base of a soda can, and then set the cardboard on the ground about three paces away. That was my target.

Here's I am lined up for the first shot. Recoil wasn't bad at all. These improvised grips really, really help.

Here's the pattern from the first shot.

Consider me less than impressed.

Here's the result of the full cylinder, three shotshells and the two FMJ.

Much better, but if I had to do this in our neighborhood, I'm guessing I'd see one or more patrol cars shortly thereafter.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    31481 times
    Interesting side note, the third round wouldn't fire. The recoil had pulled the shotshell far enough out of the case that it was hanging up on the side of the forcing cone.

I was able to push it down into the case again and fire it, but who wants to have to open the cylinder, pull that round, etc. etc. Not good.

Now, I was wondering if the tiny, short, abbreviation of a barrel on the non-View had much to do with the results, so having anticipated that I brought along my 4" model 66. Honestly, I don't see a hill of rattles worth of difference.

Here's the result of three shots with the model 66. I shot three to see if there'd be any shotshell pulling, like there was with the non-View. The problem did not recur with the model 66. I do notice that there's almost a gap in the very exact center of the pattern with the 4". The tiny non-View barrel put more close to the exact center. For a small rattlesnake, that could matter; if it's a real, reproducible effect. Which of course I don't have nearly enough data to conclude.

Interestingly, some of the plastic shotshell cases got stuck in the cardboard.

So the model 66 doesn't give tighter groups, but at least it functions for the third round. And you have seven instead of five. But I'm sure not putting a model 66 in my pocket.

Looking at all these, I think about the first rattlesnake I ever saw wild in New Mexico. He was four feet long or so. Would I shoot him with a .38 shotshell? No sir, I would not. So what to do? Go with .22, and aim for the head? I bet that's what Native Texan would suggest. Or do I go full gonzo, and get a Judge? I'm sure not pocket carrying that either. Maybe a snub .44 Special is the answer. Decisions, decisions.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by GhostHorse; 07-28-2019 at 09:05 PM.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    21754 times
    Very helpful to know about the snake shot and forcing cone issue. I'm considering getting some in 45 colt for the Pietta SAA. Just out of curiosity, what year is the 66 ?
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    31481 times
    I wouldn't expect to have that problem with a full-size SAA. I thought about a SAA like that with .45 Colt shotshells, but I want a better sight picture. I may change my mind though.

I really don't know what year the Model 66 is, but I sure am fond of that thing! I looked it up on Taurus' web site, but that didn't tell me the year. It's the seven shot model 66, with good bluing.

Member #
    Liked
    22189 times
    Obviously....you need a judge!
    YOT, GreenWolf70, PANHAPP and 2 others like this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    8505 times
    There are two CCI snake shot loads out there. One with #9 shot and a newer one with #4 shot. Here's the info on the #4 shot ammo. CCI Ammunition - Product Detail Not sure that this is the answer, but thought you should know about it.

Member #
    Liked
    724 times
    I keep saying becareful of what you post. Most states protect most animals and reptiles now. Even if you can kill them you can just blast away at them. You have to humanely dispatch them aka trap and freeze. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fl...cid=spartanntp
    Now that that's out of the way... I have some nice shot shells for my Beretta PX4 .40. it's for cardboard. I shoot cardboard and get the shovel quick. Although the south Texas Mexican moccasin makes for a good looking belt or boots.

Member #
    Liked
    8505 times
    If you are going to go the bigger caliber revolver way Gunbroker.com has a large number of Taurus 431s and 441s for sale. Then again, a Judge Defender can do the job.

I stay with the Taurus medium frame revolvers because the Judge's extra cylinder length for me was a problem. Maybe not a problem for others.

Member #
    Liked
    8505 times
    Taurus frame sizes are from another post from this forum: https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/t...ame-sizes.html

Member #
    Liked
    31481 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwiks draw View Post
    If you are going to go the bigger caliber revolver way Gunbroker.com has a large number of Taurus 431s and 441s for sale. Then again, a Judge Defender can do the job.

I stay with the Taurus medium frame revolvers because the Judge's extra cylinder length for me was a problem. Maybe not a problem for others.
    I agree; the Judge is great, but just SO bulky.

I was shooting rounds of 100 grains of #9. The 44 version is 140 grains of #9.
    The red load (thanks for showing me that) is 84 grains of #4. The 44 red load is 110 grains of #4.

And then there's .45 Colt; 150 grains of #9, and 140 grains of #4. I like the sound of that. .410 gives you 219 grains of #4, if my research and conversions are right.
    NativeTexan and Qwiks draw like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links