Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: .38 Snakeshot - a quick field study

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20399 times
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    What was that snake doing hanging out in your tree? I might have taken a chainsaw to it. Living in the city limits, I’m probably not gonna shoot into the sky. I will shoot something on the ground, though.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    31789 times
    I think I'm using shot that's too soft. I looked around town a bit today and couldn't find anything better, so I've ordered some that may do better.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    10947 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    What was that snake doing hanging out in your tree? I might have taken a chainsaw to it. Living in the city limits, I’m probably not gonna shoot into the sky. I will shoot something on the ground, though.
    LOL, the wife was feeding the neighbor's dogs while they were out of town, and saw it. She screams and comes running, wanting me to kill it. I get the Judge and we go back over there, but we can not find any snake. I noticed the dogs were barking at the tree and then I looked up and there he was a grinning at me, like I can't get him.

When you are shooting up with fine birdshot, even it it comes down on you if can't hurt you. Its like someone dropping sand on you. I've caught a few stray .410 birdshot growing up while hunting with cousins, and it stings, but you just squeeze the wound like a pimple and the shot will pop right out. It just doesn't penetrate much. Now if you catch the full load at close range, that is a whole 'nother story. But shooting up with birdshot is not going to hurt anyone not directly overhead.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    31789 times
    If I saw a snake that size in a tree, I'd get a 12 gauge. Or a flamethrower. Holy heck. I didn't know rattlesnakes did that!
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    10947 times
    LOL, that was a 6' long rat snake in the tree. It is just that I knew if I did not kill it my wife would not go anywhere near that area, so I shot it. Like I said it is probably the longest shot I have made with the Judge on a snake, but it was a one shot head shot. It hung there for a few minutes before it dropped, long enough for the wife to get a picture.

The Rattlesnake picture was not me, it was in the newspaper, and I think it was a little bit of photo magic. I don't think they photo shopped it, but the perspective is way off. We rarely see a Rattlesnake on this mountain, it is almost all Copperheads.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31200 times
    One dove season me and a buddy were sitting on opposite sides of a creek with lots of brush in the way. A dove comes screamin' between us just over the brush and he shoots. We were about 75 yards apart. A number 7.5 hit my upper lip with my teeth behind the lip. It stung a might, but didn't even break the skin. Of course, I always wear my glasses. Can't hit squat if you can't see it.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    31789 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    The Rattlesnake picture was not me, it was in the newspaper, and I think it was a little bit of photo magic. I don't think they photo shopped it, but the perspective is way off. We rarely see a Rattlesnake on this mountain, it is almost all Copperheads.
    Probably not even photoshopped. Think of how a fisheye lens makes everything in the center of the photo look huge. All lenses below a certain focal length (35 to 50mm depending on sensor size) do that to an extent. Put something much closer to the camera, with items our brains are familiar with in the background, and you can get pictures that make the foreground object look a lot bigger than it is, without any deceitful intent on the photographer's part. Now, the person who posted the picture....
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    31789 times
    Just got in some ammo I ordered. I have high hopes for the 3" shells with 3/4oz of 7.5 shot. Report soon, with both paper and tuber targets.

Member #
    Liked
    31789 times
    Well, I have found a shotshell I believe I can trust. It's a Winchester Super X 3" shell, with 3/4 oz. of #7 1/2 shot.

Here's the pattern from 3 paces.
    Name:  DSC00351.JPG
Views: 11
Size:  747.2 KB

I see that as a significant improvement over any other handgun pattern. It will also answer the mail if I'm attacked by a rabid raw potato.

Name:  DSC00354.JPG
Views: 10
Size:  162.0 KB

I shattered the heck out of some potatoes on this range visit. That is some serious fun right there. Almost enough to justify buying a Judge with no other reason.

Naturally, things get even better at two paces. I really like how much of this is in the center. Some of the difference is the hi-viz target, of course.

Name:  DSC00355.JPG
Views: 11
Size:  161.4 KB

I also compared this to some shells containing a half ounce of #9. Here's the three pace result.
    Name:  DSC00356.JPG
Size:  162.9 KB

And here's two paces.
    Name:  DSC00357.JPG
Size:  162.5 KB

Not bad, but the 3" 3/4 ounce shells are the best I've found out of a handgun. I also did some walking around the range, shooting at random objects at about 3-5 paces. Hip shooting, I was really impressed at how instinctively the Judge points and deals with targets. I'm sure I'd take the time to aim, but if I didn't feel like it, I'd be confident I could pepper a snake very well. I also shot a couple of the PDX-1 shells. No potato is safe. Next question; which would be better for coyote, the PDX-1, or a straight up .45 Colt? There's always more research to be done.

So, after all these pages and pages of patterns, here's my conclusion. The 3" shells with 3/4 ounce of #7 1/2 are not only the best I've found, I believe they are a useful improvement over .45 Colt #9 shotshells. Not a huge improvement, but significant enough to be useful. Best in the .410 world? Just about any birdshot out of a should arm.
    Last edited by GhostHorse; 08-23-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10947 times
    In my experience, the PDX-1 rounds start sailing at anything over 5 feet. I would go for the .45LC over the PDX-1 at anything over 5 feet. I have had pretty good accuracy out to 25 yards (max range at the indoor facility where I have shot my Judge) with Speer 255 grain Gold Dots, but I have the shorter 2.5" cylinder, so I have less throat to jump. On the other hand, you can load your .45LC a lot longer than I can. If you reload, try the 225 grain Hornady FTX. In their commercial loading, the cases are shortened to stay within OAL, but you can load them in full length cases, should be interesting.

I love the Federal PD Handgun #000 buck shot out to 25 yards, nothing else is even close to it at that distance IMO. Good for coyotes, sure. I would even be good with it on a deer, or even a 2 legged varmint, out to 25 yards. Up close it leaves one big hole.
    GhostHorse and Qwiks draw like this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Sponsored Links