.38 Snakeshot - a quick field study - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: .38 Snakeshot - a quick field study

Member #
    Liked
    10742 times
    I have never had to take more than one shot with my Judge to take out any snake. If the shot size can take out a clay, it will work on snakes. I like that small shot puts more lead on target. The other thing I like about small shot in my Judge is last year I had a copperhead got in the garage and I had to shoot him on the concrete floor. One shot took him out and I only had a few scratches on the floor, none through the finish. Bigger shot would have chipped a hole in the floor.
    Last edited by Qwiks draw; 07-31-2019 at 03:16 AM.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    2167 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    I have yet see a snake slither away from a shotgun load - no matter the shot size and consistency. If they even move after having their bodies riddled with a shotshell blast I look for a little red cape and a pair of yellow undies. And, I don’t do a pok’em test. If it’s a snake I ain’t interested in their race or orthodontic specifics - they gotta go.
    I've tried shot in a S&W 686 and was totally underwhelmed. It took all six cylinders to dispatch a rattler from about 12 feet. These days I grab the 20 gauge pump. I don't believe in taking prisoners.

Member #
    Liked
    8506 times
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...electedIndex=0 Found this snake in the grass but did not have to shoot it. It's the only snake we see around here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31058 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ETF View Post
    I've tried shot in a S&W 686 and was totally underwhelmed. It took all six cylinders to dispatch a rattler from about 12 feet. These days I grab the 20 gauge pump. I don't believe in taking prisoners.
    I have usually just used a bullet. It's lethal even on two legged snake, let alone rattlers and cottonmouths. But, this spring I have taken to carrying .22 mag snake loads in my NAA Black Widow. A head shot does the trick and won't mess up the floor if that's the background. I carry two rounds of rat shot and 3 rounds of Hornady CD in the gun, shot's up first. If it don't kill him, it'll slow him down.

I always have this Black Widow on me. A Judge would be a bit big and heavy in my pocket and I don't always grab a gun when I go outside. If I did, I could grab a REAL shotgun right up to 10 gauge.
    Last edited by NativeTexan; 07-31-2019 at 10:46 AM.
    Qwiks draw likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    29378 times
    I roll my own using # 7 1/2 or #8 shot and Speer shot capsules and about 2.8 grains of Bullseye or AA#2 powder.

You're only limited to your imagination in designing custom loads.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Qwiks draw, darbo and william like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    31058 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONDAWG View Post
    I roll my own using # 7 1/2 or #8 shot and Speer shot capsules and about 2.8 grains of Bullseye or AA#2 powder.

You're only limited to your imagination in designing custom loads.

I never bothered with those plastic cups, just used a gas check for an over powder and over shot wad. I haven't loaded any in a while, though. I have gas checks on hand for cast bullet loads in .357 magnum, so don't have to buy them special just for snake loads. Smallest shot I have on hand is number 6, so that's what I loaded in 'em. A .357 case holds plenty of shot, even a .38 does.
    MOONDAWG likes this.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    29378 times
    You used to read Skeeter Skelton's articles!
    NativeTexan likes this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    31485 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    But, this spring I have taken to carrying .22 mag snake loads in my NAA Black Widow. A head shot does the trick and won't mess up the floor if that's the background.
    How much time does a medium sized viper spend biting the air before all movement ceases after a good head shot from this setup?
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    31058 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    How much time does a medium sized viper spend biting the air before all movement ceases after a good head shot from this setup?
    If you hit 'em in the head, they go down pretty quick.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    10742 times
    Every snake that I have shot with my Judge has DDRT, or Dropped Dead Right There. I have yet to have one slither away and yes, I shoot at the head. Now don't try cooking and eating a poisonous snake that you have head shot. If you are going to eat them, a bush hook is the best for cleanly severing the head, keeping the poison out of the meat.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links