7 Reasons to Take an Air Rifle for Survival Weapon - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: 7 Reasons to Take an Air Rifle for Survival Weapon

Member #
    Liked
    237 times
    I have Both a 177 and a 22 air rifle. They’re strictly for plinking.

If I were to resort to killing an animal, I have a compound bow, recurve, and two crossbows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Made for the very serious business of self-preservation - the 605 is built to the Taurus Zero Tolerance standard - in design, fabrication, fit and performance.

Member #
    Liked
    10747 times
    Well, first, I can not hit the broad side of a barn with a bow, and truthfully, a bow is a bit of overkill for small game. However, I have been using pellet rifles since I was a kid to take small game. And the newer pellet rifles, the gas springers, are powerful to take down a deer size animal at close range.

I have a cousin who lived north of Atlanta in a subdivision that backed up to a large game reserve. Squirrels had taken over and his wife got him a Gamo .177 springer with a silencer to solve the problem. Well, early one morning, he looks out the window and a big doe has jumped the fence and is eating everything he has growing. So he thinks I will pop her in the butt with this pellet rifle and she won't come back. He hits her in the butt, but that little pellet rifle shattered her hip and he has to finish her with a shot behind the ear with that pellet rifle. LOL, we grew up hunting and you just don't waste a kill, so he dresses her out and packs the meat in the freezer. The whole time he is looking over his shoulder worried about his snowflake neighbors. The point here is those little pellet rifles are packing a punch somewhere between a .22 Short and a .22LR, and are no longer a kid's toy.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31058 times
    I took a rabbit once from my ladder stand at a lasered 26 yards with my crossbow. And, I recovered the bolt to be used again.

And, if you can't shoot a bow (I have an eye dominance problem), try a crossbow. They're amazingly rifle like accurate to 50 yards or so. The target in my picture above was shot at 40 yards off the seat of my ATV for a rest.
    Last edited by NativeTexan; 07-24-2019 at 09:13 AM.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10747 times
    LOL, from what I have seen, a PCP big bore shoots a better bolt than any crossbow.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    31058 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    LOL, from what I have seen, a PCP big bore shoots a better bolt than any crossbow.
    Sure, if you have access to Scuba air. Besides, they aren't legal for hunting archery season in Texas. Crossbows are now legal.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    29393 times
    Michael...Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 1 MILLION 971 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    21760 times
    Look, as long as we're not having to go back to the sling or atlatl, pretty much any non-firearm would work depending on the game. With the PCPs, you need a way of charging. With the springers, you can go til it gives out, but that also applies to the pump up airguns like the Crosman 760. Also if you have access to sulphur and potassium nitrate you can make rudimentary black powder. The Potassium Nitrate isn't even that critical as long as there's a cattle farm near you. Realistically all you need is a good bladed weapon and pallets of toilet paper for survival. 3 or 4 months after the collapse of modern society, Rolls of TP will be more valued than gold.
    GreenWolf70 and olfarhors like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    26842 times
    well I think a survuival tool will depend on how long we are trying to survive!
    I mean if long enough then arrows (especailly for a cross bow (Bolt) can't really be made and usually one shot and they are pretty much used as they tend to bend and will not fly right unless shot into a adeqaute target.
    Todays arrow/bolt are usually a aluminum or graphite composite and the bows are made/set up for that use as well as being a higher poundage and need very stiff arrows/bolts.
    what good is a BB /pellet rifle without bb or pellets?
    guns the same way got ammo?
    so we will be back to maybe a knife or sharp instrument, a spear, and maybe a old long bow where they can be made from a good strong limb and arrows made from the same.
    the good thing if this happens is competition will be very low as most of todays people will simply die of stupidity. hunger or dehydration while playing their video games and talking on their cell phones.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post

the good thing if this happens is competition will be very low as most of todays people will simply die of stupidity. hunger or dehydration while playing their video games and talking on their cell phones.
    Yeah, but what a way to go!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    31058 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    Look, as long as we're not having to go back to the sling or atlatl, pretty much any non-firearm would work depending on the game. With the PCPs, you need a way of charging. With the springers, you can go til it gives out, but that also applies to the pump up airguns like the Crosman 760. Also if you have access to sulphur and potassium nitrate you can make rudimentary black powder. The Potassium Nitrate isn't even that critical as long as there's a cattle farm near you. Realistically all you need is a good bladed weapon and pallets of toilet paper for survival. 3 or 4 months after the collapse of modern society, Rolls of TP will be more valued than gold.

First time I EVER heard that TP was that valuable during the mythical collapse of society. I guess you're counting on mass diarrhea when the waste treatment plants go down? Well, I've prepared for that. I run a septic system and my own water well.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links