Taurus Popularity
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Taurus Popularity

Member #
    Liked
    107 times

Taurus Popularity

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to discuss this, but it didn't seem to fit any of the other categories......so here goes:

I was loafing around on the internet this morning, and I ran across this YouTube video posted by a guy who holds a part time job working behind the gun sales counter at a big box sporting goods store. Specifically he was talking about things that he learned about what the reality was compared to his preconceived notions, and also about how little the majority of his customers know. The item that is relevant to this forum is how many Taurus firearms that he sells compared to all others, and that he was surprised about how few of them are returned for repair. As a matter of fact, during the entire time he worked there, he only had to send one Taurus back, which was a revolver that had locked up, and he said that he thought it was likely due to the fact that it was extremely dirty and fouled and appeared that it had never been cleaned.

Interesting.

Here's the video:

Member #
    Liked
    3039 times
    well, he is just letting us know how under edjumacated the average gun buyer really is.
    Lomax, olfarhors and Nimbly like this.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    2434 times
    I've repeated this everytime the subject has come up across every forum I'm currently registered with and I'll continue to do so indefinitely because in needs to be said...

The reality of the Taurus brand is that in terms of quality control they're no worse than Ruger, what sets them apart is that they have what is quite possibly the worst Customer Service/Support among mainstream firearms manufacturers, ergo those who end up with a lemon and have to deal with Taurus' CS walk away with a decidedly negative opinion of the brand.
    Furthermore, most folks are far more likely to speak up when something goes wrong than when everything goes according to plan, ergo if all you look at are negative reports, then most brands who aren't known for their top notch quality are going to appear to be of poor quality.
    Last but not least, reputations are a lot like first impressions. If you leave a positive impression early on, then folks are more likely to write off any subsequent negative impressions you may gain as an anomaly or otherwise forgive them based on faith gained from previously positive impressions. Alternatively, the reverse is also true. If you leave a negative impression early on, then it's very difficult to gain a positive reputation later on because anything you do right is more likely to be written off as a fluke or a stunt. Because of this, you'll still see folks singing the praises of companies like Colt, Remington, etc who have unfortunately turned out firearms of inferior quality/reliability over the past decade or so, with repeatedly instances of inconsistent quality over previous decades. Or in the case of Taurus/Rossi, continuing to hold a decidedly negative opinion of the company as a producer of low quality knock-offs or gimmicky firearms of inconsistent reliability.

On the bright side, Taurus' negative reputation keeps the prices down on their firearms, leaving those with a need for inexpensive yet generally reliable firearms with an outlet for such.

Folks are always quick to point out the failures of Taurus like the Millennium G1 fiasco years after the fact, yet sweep things like the Remington R51 under the rug regardless of the fact that it's still in production with many issues intact.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8201 times
    In line with what Tuco Ramirez posted, the problem with Taurus firearms happens after the sale. That is when you realize that factory parts for one are about as hard to get as pulling a tooth out of a live shark, accessories are few and far between, getting spare magazines is difficult, and their customer service for returns for repair is anywhere from appaling to a nuisance, depending on who you talk to.

Another thing with Taurus is the way that the publicize a new firearm, then take forever to get it to the consumer. The Taurus Spectrum debacle is a great example of this. Taurus hyped this firearm as the latest and greatest, and by the time it came out many people had looked elsewhere for a similar firearm to the Spectrum. I am sure there are other examples similar to this, but this one just left me wondering what Taurus was trying to do. Marketing and production at Taurus need to communicate with one another on when production will take place.

The thing with Taurus is this: When you get a good one, you get a good, dependable firearm that just may be trouble free for a long time. When you get a lemon, then you realize that Taurus' customer service is not as good as it could and should be, and this is where many of the complaints about Taurus originate. Sadly, I have had to deal with Taurus customer service last year with one of my revolvers, and after 12 weeks, I received my firearm repaired in satisfactory condition, but not what I would call great condition by a long stretch. Lucky for me, the gun store I used to send it in keeps a log of returns, and new how to contact me when it did return to them, otherwise it could have been longer. Plus, it seemed that calling them regularly did little to get things moving.

All in all, my Taurus experience has been eye opening. I may or may not buy another, but I do know what to look forward to if and when I do buy one.
    Electing Joe Biden as President will be similar to going bear hunting at night with just a pair of chop sticks and a lit candle. You know it is a bad idea from the outset, you can not defend yourself, you are ill prepared for what can and maybe will happen, and you question why you even thought it would be a good idea in the first place.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22936 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tpelle View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to discuss this, but it didn't seem to fit any of the other categories......so here goes:

I was loafing around on the internet this morning, and I ran across this YouTube video posted by a guy who holds a part time job working behind the gun sales counter at a big box sporting goods store. Specifically he was talking about things that he learned about what the reality was compared to his preconceived notions, and also about how little the majority of his customers know. The item that is relevant to this forum is how many Taurus firearms that he sells compared to all others, and that he was surprised about how few of them are returned for repair. As a matter of fact, during the entire time he worked there, he only had to send one Taurus back, which was a revolver that had locked up, and he said that he thought it was likely due to the fact that it was extremely dirty and fouled and appeared that it had never been cleaned.

Interesting.
    In line with this, as well as Tuco’s comments, a gun store can leave a bad first impression. When I bought my first 1911, a PT1911, I went into the gun store and asked specifically to see the PT1911. The guy behind the counter, along with every other store employee, was open carrying bling guns. Example: my guy was wearing a very New tricked out Kimber 1911. Well, instead of taking me to the Taurus case, he took me to the Kimber case and told me I really meant I was looking for a Kimber. “This is a very lightly used full size Kimber 1911”. I then tried to reassure him that, no, I REALLY was looking for a new Taurus 1911. He proceeded to tell me that the Kimber was a much higher quality gun and would outlast the Taurus by years. I then got a little frustrated and told him that if he didn’t have a PT1911 I would look elsewhere. He then gave me a sullen look and took me to the Taurus case where I immediately noticed a nice new (not shiny - it was black finished) PT 1911. I quickly noticed that the BRAND NEW PT1911 cost ~ $200 less than the USED Kimber. “Yep. That’s what I’m looking for”. I bought it on the spot and he gave me 5 courtesy range cards with my purchase but I’ve never gone back there. For the record, that PT1911 isn’t reliable anymore; NOT for anything Taurus did but what I did. I used it as a “project gun”. I’ve changed out the grip safety, hammer strut, even took off the stock ambi-thumb safety and installed a right thumb single side safety. That thumb safety wasn’t a drop in part; it was oversized and required quite a bit of filing and hand fitting. I marred up the finish underneath the safety and almost killed the gun by doing some filing on the sear and disconnector. Yeah, it will still shoot every time with proper feed, extraction and ejection. But, it requires quite a bit of force to move the thumb safety off “SAFE” so would never trust my life on it. But it was a great learning experience. Kind’a like learning to deliver a baby the first time.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22936 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post

Folks are always quick to point out the failures of Taurus like the Millennium G1 fiasco years after the fact, yet sweep things like the Remington R51 under the rug regardless of the fact that it's still in production with many issues intact.
    Ummm, what was the Millenium G1 fiasco? I came in when the G3 MilPros were peaking.

And, don’t look now but the R51 is still winning head-to-Head comparisons with P3ATs, LCPs, etc.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    5603 times
    I sang the praises of Taurus when iI to the 809 and then the PT111. I changed my tune a bit when I started searching for magazines for the 809. I also read all the comments on here, the Facebook G2 page and now I just enjoy them.
    They taught me a lesson in semi auto handguns.... don't just shop price.... look at parts availability. Granted, the 809 had magazines available occasionally when I bought it... but they dried up quickly.
    Would I buy another.... maybe, but they aren't my top choice.

Member #
    Liked
    934 times
    I have never had to deal with Taurus' customer service (knock on wood) but from the posts I have read on our forum, it sure seems like Taurus' places their priorities elsewhere and not on their repair/customer support. (How is that for a politically correct statement? LOL) What surprises me is that customers can be kept so woefully in the dark regarding their repair status and even worse, Taurus just returning the gun to an FFL but not notifying the customer of its return or the FFL whose gun it was. I wonder if this is just ingrained in Taurus' culture because fixing this seems like a fairly straightforward and simple thing to do. I used to work in I.T. for a very large corporation that makes appliances and, although most repairs were done at the customer's home, from the moment an appliance exited the assembly line, we could track its location with precision through its journey to the warehouse, shipping and which store had that particular item to sell to the customer. All repair history was also tracked and entered into our system.

Taurus could easily apply a barcode sticker with the customer contact information/repair needed to each firearm returned for repair as it came to them and then require that to be scanned at every part of their repair process so they could make it easy to know where along the line your weapon was. Heck, they could even have the system automatically send a notice to the owner when the firearm was actually shipped out to be returned to the FFL for pickup. This isn't rocket science anymore. My company was doing this type of tracking in the very early 1980's and it had only gotten better and better during my career there. Heck, we not only knew which truck the item was loaded on but also what position it had in the trailer of the truck that was shipping it. Computers excel at this type of thing IF you bother to use them.

Unavailability of spare parts is another problem that really should not exist at the level it seems to for Taurus. It reminds me of a book I read about the Soviet Union in the 1970's where anyone who owned a car was probably removing their windshield wiper blades anytime they parked their car in a public parking area. Why? Because the Soviet manufacturing mindset was to produce more and more new cars and in doing so all parts went into making new cars and there were no spare parts available for repairing cars that had already been built. So people had to steal parts from other vehicles if they needed to replace things like windshield wiper blades. Maybe Taurus has a similar philosophy of making more and more product but not producing enough spare parts the products that are already in customers' hands.

I find it almost inconceivable that the CEO of Taurus doesn't have the VP of Customer Service in his office at least once a week to account for what is going on and demanding that he make improvements. Poor customer service is one of those things that is easy lose sales over and once the bad reputation is out there, it is difficult to overcome people's' perception of even if you make some fairly simple, but dramatic improvements. The actual fixes are probably easier to implement than recovering from a bad reputation which takes a lot of time. This really seems more like a leadership problem at Taurus far more than any technical issue.
    Desperado, olfarhors and Biglar like this.
    Scott USMC 1969-1973/BTPD 1975-1979

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35028 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Ummm, what was the Millenium G1 fiasco?
    I think he's referring to a grip frame cracking issue, which was quickly remedied. Had something to do with the composition of the polymer material.
    daytonaredeye likes this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    4165 times
    When I bought my PT92C I called Taurus USA to get info on the gun. I gave them the numbers on the gun and they came back with they had no record of that firearm being imported to the USA and then no longer wanted to talk with me. They did request that I email them photos of the serial number but again nothing came of it. Another OH WELL.
    BigBlue likes this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links