What is a collection?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: What is a collection?

Member #
    Liked
    5740 times

Question What is a collection?

What do you consider a gun collection? Occasionally I see where someone here will mention a collection or will say something about their gun collection. Well, what makes a pile (small or large) of guns a collection?

Is it the number of guns? Is it particular guns of a certain model, manufacturer, or time period? Is it a collection due to sheer numbers? What about the person who has to save for every gun he buys and only has three or four guns. Is that a collection? What if a person has a number of guns and within that number he has 3 or 4 guns of a particularly interesting time period. Are those guns a collection? If they are then what are the other guns he owns.... are they an arsenal?

A number of members list their guns on their signature line.... does that make a collection or is that an arsenal?

I have a very eclectic taste when it comes to guns... does that define my guns simply as a pile, an arsenal, a collection, or multiple definitions within the pile as a whole.

I am very interested in your opinions on this matter... we have all heard about your boating accident and I'm sure we were sorry to hear about the last 5 or 6 times. Please, serious contributions are welcome....

Don
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit; there are footprints on the moon!.... Unknown

Member #
    Liked
    710 times
    Collecting 1911s and having a bunch of different examples, or specific a design of shotgun again with different examples, or revolvers or a specific pattern of rifle is what I would call a collection.
    A random assortment of Guns is not what I would call a collection.
    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
    -Patches O'Houlihan

Member #
    Liked
    26087 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    What do you consider a gun collection? Occasionally I see where someone here will mention a collection or will say something about their gun collection. Well, what makes a pile (small or large) of guns a collection?

Is it the number of guns?

Don
    that's it exactly!
    anything above the number 273 is a collection, anything less is considered hoarding. if you have less than 24 its really a mild Addiction.
    BangBang and Navy_Shooter like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    19081 times
    I often use the term "Collection" simply because it's nobody's business as to what or how many that i may have.

I have in the past shared a few photos of individual pieces of my collection,but never a family portrait of all together.
    I have often heard that "Change is Good". If this is a fact, why does history tend to repeat itself so often. I'm guessing that it is so we can learn from our mistakes that change is good?

Member #
    Liked
    1111 times
    A collection is what they have upstairs in the NRA museum at Springfield, MO Bass Pro Shop or another nice collection can be found at the Rock Island Arsenal.

I own a what I call a limited variety of collectible firearms.

Smaller guns don't take up as much storage space. Here is a small sampling of a few compacts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    BangBang and jwc007 like this.
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Member #
    Liked
    2005 times
    To paraphrase an old saying, wherever two or more are gathered together, a collection is present.

I'd say if you use the term collection, you are probably trying to hide the exact number from your wife and/or you have a serious problem. I'll be interested to see your collection of answers on this one...
    jonrjen, BangBang, NTTD and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    More than one is a collection! More than 1 of a particular brand, type, or vintage is a themed collection.
    BangBang, NTTD, jwc007 and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    564 times
    The biggest thing is...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    GhostHorse likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7229 times
    Collections aren't random, they have a direction or theme.

I know some serious Winchester, Colt and Smith and Wesson collectors but the coolest collection I've ever seen was also the cheapest.

I know a guy that got a C&R just so he could collect Suicide Specials and other cheap Victorian era pocket guns. He was buying lots of parts cheap guns and making a functional example out of parts guns.
    BangBang and GhostHorse like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Member #
    Liked
    20260 times
    Definition of collection

1 : the act or process of collecting the collection of data the collection of taxes

2a : something collected especially : an accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison,
    or exhibition or as a hobby a collection of poems a collection of photographs a baseball card collection
    b : group, aggregate a collection of symptoms, such as fatigue, headaches, and joint pain
    c : a set of apparel designed for sale usually in a particular season the designer's spring collection of dresses

BangBang likes this.
    The Average American Now Complains More In A Week Than
    People Living Through The Black Plague Did Their Entire Lives

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links