Taurus Firearm Forum banner

What is a collection?

4K views 39 replies 27 participants last post by  andyd 
#1 ·
What do you consider a gun collection? Occasionally I see where someone here will mention a collection or will say something about their gun collection. Well, what makes a pile (small or large) of guns a collection?

Is it the number of guns? Is it particular guns of a certain model, manufacturer, or time period? Is it a collection due to sheer numbers? What about the person who has to save for every gun he buys and only has three or four guns. Is that a collection? What if a person has a number of guns and within that number he has 3 or 4 guns of a particularly interesting time period. Are those guns a collection? If they are then what are the other guns he owns.... are they an arsenal?

A number of members list their guns on their signature line.... does that make a collection or is that an arsenal?

I have a very eclectic taste when it comes to guns... does that define my guns simply as a pile, an arsenal, a collection, or multiple definitions within the pile as a whole.

I am very interested in your opinions on this matter... we have all heard about your boating accident and I'm sure we were sorry to hear about the last 5 or 6 times. Please, serious contributions are welcome....

Don

See less See more
#36 ·
I don't have a collection, I have an assortment. I like to have one of every different kind or action. Revolvers and semi-automatics in SA, DAO. SA/DA and rifles in bolt, semi-auto and lever action as well as a pump shotgun. Their capacities are 5,6,7,9,10,12,17,25 and 30. Even have a BB/Pellet rifle and pistol (pump and co2).

#39 ·
Umm, excuse me? :eek: Might I humbly request that you pick a favorite example or two and head over ot "other handguns" and tell us all about them?

Reactions: olfarhors
#38 ·
What guns I have can't be considered a collection at all. The accumulation grew as my hunting / shooting interests evolved, but they all have a designated purpose for now. My workshop is filled with tools of every shape and design, but it's not a "collection" - I've never heard of someone talking about their collection of 3/8 drive sockets, or their cool sets of chisels. The only things that I can safely say that I collected - USCF tournament chess sets and Dietz Lanterns, all sit deeply stored away in boxes - never to see the light of day in my lifetime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.