Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: What is a collection?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18787 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jspdrcrmach5 View Post
    Collecting 1911s and having a bunch of different examples, or specific a design of shotgun again with different examples, or revolvers or a specific pattern of rifle is what I would call a collection.
    A random assortment of guns is not what I would call a collection.
    Ah, the old RAG. Why would a variety of a model (not all of one brand) not count as a collection? I have 7 1911s - none of the same manufacturer - but I consider them my collection. I have 3 Glocks, 4 Sigs, 2 Springfields and 5 Rugers. All differing makes and models (and one of the Rugers is a PC Carbine). I do have others scattered throughout my house in other calibers and models as well.

All the racked, hanging and displayed guns in this gallery are my dad’s; he has another room that has NOTHING except guns stacked, hanging and leaning throughout that entire room. He has a 60 year headstart on me and has gone to the trouble to obtain successive serial numbers in certain models. He also reloads for nearly every caliber he has. https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/m...albums199.html

So, what do you consider a collection?
    BangBang likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18787 times
    As to the Arsenal part of Don’s question . . . .

If western civilization begins to melt down, I’m loading my truck with my “collection” and emptying my gunsafe contents into my truck and heading to my parents’ house!
    loudviking, BangBang and jwc007 like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    4148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacher39 View Post
    Definition of collection

1 : the act or process of collecting the collection of data the collection of taxes

2a : something collected especially : an accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison,
    or exhibition or as a hobby a collection of poems a collection of photographs a baseball card collection
    b : group, aggregate a collection of symptoms, such as fatigue, headaches, and joint pain
    c : a set of apparel designed for sale usually in a particular season the designer's spring collection of dresses

I was just about ready to start typing definition 2.c when you responded
    BangBang likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    What do you consider a gun collection? Occasionally I see where someone here will mention a collection or will say something about their gun collection. Well, what makes a pile (small or large) of guns a collection?

Is it the number of guns? Is it particular guns of a certain model, manufacturer, or time period? Is it a collection due to sheer numbers? What about the person who has to save for every gun he buys and only has three or four guns. Is that a collection? What if a person has a number of guns and within that number he has 3 or 4 guns of a particularly interesting time period. Are those guns a collection? If they are then what are the other guns he owns.... are they an arsenal?

A number of members list their guns on their signature line.... does that make a collection or is that an arsenal?

I have a very eclectic taste when it comes to guns... does that define my guns simply as a pile, an arsenal, a collection, or multiple definitions within the pile as a whole.

I am very interested in your opinions on this matter... we have all heard about your boating accident and I'm sure we were sorry to hear about the last 5 or 6 times. Please, serious contributions are welcome....

Don
    One mans trash is another mans treasure.

In my opinion each person determines what they have, what one person calls a collection or an arsenal or a bunch of guns, others may not. You define what you have yourself. Some may agree some may not. I have a bunch of guns, and yes I often call it a collection. I have never called it an arsenal and I'm sure some would.

Inside my collection of guns resides other collections. Like I have a collection of PT-99's, a collection of .32 S&W revolvers, a collection or .22's, etc. Heck I even sometimes say I have a collection of actions because I like to buy guns with different types of actions. Now some may come by and say none of my guns qualify as a collection and to them they are right.

A collection is in the eye of the beholder.
    Last edited by Fishinkeylargo; 07-08-2019 at 03:06 PM.
    BangBang likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30608 times
    There are collections of guns and then there are gun collections. There should be a theme to a gun collection. For instance, a family friend collected pre-turn of the century Winchesters, all originals. I ain't got the bux for that, and, heck, I'm a shooter, not an admirer. I did enjoy looking at HIS, though.
    BangBang and daytonaredeye like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    710 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Ah, the old RAG. Why would a variety of a model (not all of one brand) not count as a collection? I have 7 1911s - none of the same manufacturer - but I consider them my collection. I have 3 Glocks, 4 Sigs, 2 Springfields and 5 Rugers. All differing makes and models (and one of the Rugers is a PC Carbine). I do have others scattered throughout my house in other calibers and models as well.

All the racked, hanging and displayed guns in this gallery are my dad’s; he has another room that has NOTHING except guns stacked, hanging and leaning throughout that entire room. He has a 60 year headstart on me and has gone to the trouble to obtain successive serial numbers in certain models. He also reloads for nearly every caliber he has. https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/m...albums199.html

So, what do you consider a collection?
    Yes I would consider Your 7 1911s to be a collection and also Your 3 Glocks, 4 Sigs and 5 Rugers because they are all the same model and You seem to be attempting to assemble a collection.
    I have a Friend who buys nothing except Colt Revolvers, He keeps single action and double action models separate, if You try to offer Him anything else in trade He will look at You like You are crazy and not even entertain Your offer.
    BangBang likes this.
    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
    -Patches O'Houlihan

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30608 times
    The closest thing I have (IMHO) to a collection. I do have a few cap and ball guns, 9 Rugers, and 6 Tauri as for BRAND collections. These are all traditional single action revolvers, though the Rugers are quite modern in design.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stroker and BangBang like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    7780 times
    I consider my group of Taurus revolvers "my" collection.I have a group of 1911's that may qualify.
    I can stand outside for 10 minutes and show you a collection of mosquito bites.
    BangBang likes this.
    Vengeance is mine sayeth the .45

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7169 times
    I have a collection of guns that 95% of them did not run because of laziness and lack of caring about maintenance
    and the owners thought they were junk....................
    I look for Taurus guns at the LGS and that is all I look at, as most of the time they are filthy, ugly guns and when I get done
    they look and run exceptionally well......................
    So yeah, I have a collection of "Crappy guns" that I love!
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Member #
    Liked
    21873 times
    To me a collection is when guns are acquired and the primary purpose in not shooting. Not that they are never shot, but if you have more than about a dozen, then something is going unfired. I don't consider myself a collector because these days the vast majority of guns I own or buy is with an eye towards shooting it. If that doesn't work out it's gone. Now I do have a few that are rarely shot. They are mostly sentimental pieces, like the gun I bought my girlfriend (now wife of 37 years) so she could go shooting with me. Or the Colt Agent that's a duplicate of her grandfather's gun, for which we inherited holsters and grips. But most of my guns are ones I'm working on shooting.

Now a collection can be a seemingly random selection, or have a theme. Random selections are really just collections representative of the gun market at a given point in time.

If it's not fired regularly, it's a collector.
    Last edited by glenwolde; 07-08-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    loudviking and BangBang like this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links