How Old Were Your Kids When You Taught Them To Shoot?

View Poll Results: How Old Were Your Kids When You Taught Them To Shoot?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 5 years? Why?

2 5.41%
  • 5-7 years?

12 32.43%
  • 8-10 years?

16 43.24%
  • Over 10? Why?

3 8.11%
  • Never! Guns Are Bad, And You're Racist!

4 10.81%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: How Old Were Your Kids When You Taught Them To Shoot?

Member #
    Liked
    103 times

How Old Were Your Kids When You Taught Them To Shoot?

My daughter is 5, and she wants to learn to shoot with dad. So I am wondering, all you parents, how old were your kids when you taught them to shoot? Also any suggestions would be nice.
    Last edited by Nimbly; 07-02-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    CaptainMorgan likes this.
    "The strongest tactical move is always the one in which you reap the highest gain, at the lowest cost."

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    I started teaching my Son at about 3yrs no live fire at that age but started drilling the main saftey rules, finger off the trigger till on target, know what is behind your target, every gun is loaded until you verify that it isnt, never point a gun at anything you dont want to destroy. The wife and I got him his first .22 for his 5th birthday, he is now 15 and is very trustworthy with a variety of weapons, Dad didnt raise a sheep or a wolf, got me a sheep dog!

Member #
    Liked
    10385 times
    Dad started me on a Stevens Crackfire, .22 Short at age 6. I think I had a BB gun, or 2, before that. At age 7, I went on Dove hunts with my father, but only got to chase down the doves and wring their necks. I went on deer stands with my dad at age 8, at age 9, I was experienced enough to go on stand by myself and shot my first buck that year. After that, Dad got a 120 acres, and my younger cousins and I (4 of us) started running with the dogs. We all shot our first deer on stand before we were allowed to run with the dogs. Some of the property was swamp and it backed up to a larger swamp, we learned to move through a swamp quickly and how the animals move through a swamp. Mainly, they follow the creek/branch banks because it is mostly open and much of it is below the line of sight.
    Nimbly and CaptainMorgan like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10920 times
    Between 5-7 we started out with airsoft, then BB guns. If they are ready at 8 or 9 I move them up to 22 and 410. Depends on the child , have to use your best judgement. I still keep all guns locked up when grand kiddos visit.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    10385 times
    I don't really remember when I started the kids shooting, but as soon as they started getting curious about my guns, I took them out to shoot. I would go over safety, show them how to aim, and fire a few shots with a .22LR bolt gun. Last shot was always a pistol and without hearing protection. It seemed to kill any curiosity about guns and wanting to play with them, or show them to other kids. My daughter is my oldest, I gave her a handgun when she left for college. Neither of the boys showed any interest in deer hunting, which I blame on not being able to dog hunt anywhere except at home in Mobile. Just too boring for them sitting in a tree stand. But they all liked to shoot, they like to bird hunt, and they all shoot well. My oldest boy is Special Forces sniper school trained and has a few exceptional long range shots in Afghanistan.

Oh, yes, I always told my kids if they wanted to shoot, they only had to ask me. I was always open to taking them out to shoot when they asked.

Grandkids are still small, oldest is not 4 yet. Guns aren't locked up, but high enough they can not get to them yet. When they can I guess it will be time to take them out shooting. But I think I will get a few years of fishing in with them before that becomes an issue.
    Last edited by GreenWolf70; 07-02-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    bobbojama likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18827 times
    I probably fired a 22 revolver before I learned to tie my shoes. But, I got my first BB gun at 8, or so; got my own lever action single shot 22 at 10 or 11; got my bolt action box mag fed 410 shotgun at 14. I grew up around guns but each individual’s training requirements will differ. I taught my kids to shoot when they showed interest in it.
    Last edited by daytonaredeye; 07-03-2019 at 12:21 PM.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46224 times
    I went through teaching 4 kids to shoot. They all were ready at different ages from 5 to 14. I found each of my kids had different maturity levels and different levels of awareness. I don't really think there is a set age, I think knowing the child, their maturity level, and their ability to stay alert when handling firearms is the best way to know when the time is right.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46224 times
    By the way I selected the last option in the poll, just because it was funny.
    Nimbly and DeltaBravoKS like this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    By the way I selected the last option in the poll, just because it was funny.
    That was actually my wife! She is one of those people who doesn't normally come up with funny stuff so when she does it is all the better.
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.
    "The strongest tactical move is always the one in which you reap the highest gain, at the lowest cost."

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    I went through teaching 4 kids to shoot. They all were ready at different ages from 5 to 14. I found each of my kids had different maturity levels and different levels of awareness. I don't really think there is a set age, I think knowing the child, their maturity level, and their ability to stay alert when handling firearms is the best way to know when the time is right.
    Wonderful advice.
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links