.40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge?

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • .40 S&W

17 33.33%
  • .45 ACP

34 66.67%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: .40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge?

Member #
    Liked
    2116 times

Post .40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge?

So I've been looking into getting a new carry gun for Winter Carry lately, which has sort of expanded into a search for more of an All-Purpose Self-defense cartridge due to a variety of factors, but I'll spare you the details. Right now I've pretty well narrowed it down to .40 S&W and .45 ACP. I know a lot of folks will argue that 9mm Luger is every bit as good as either the .40 S&W or .45 ACP, but I'm just not interested in 9mm Luger, so you do you and let me be me.

Alright, so moving on... I know that there are arguments for both .40 S&W and .45 ACP, like capacity, cost of ammo, energy, durability, etc. I've seen them all made, and to be honest it has kind of left my head spinning. So what I decided to do is poll you guys here on TaurusArmed.net because honestly you seem like the most level-headed, and I'm not pulling a Arnold Schwarzenegger in Jingle All the Way here, I don't have this same thread running on multiple forums telling everyone "Yor mah numbah one customah!" nor do I intend to do such a thing later on. I value your opinion and I'd be interested in reading any arguments to back up your opinions for or against one or the other, (unless it's for 9mm) even if it's long-winded. I have plenty of time since I don't plan on getting a new gun until around December, so take your time, speak your mind, and don't be afraid to make multiple posts on the subject should you think of something more to say.

Between the two cartridges (.40 S&W and .45 ACP) which would you choose?
    Yissnakk and Kevin Keith like this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    40 s&w
    muddcatt54 likes this.
    I Yam what I Yam (Popeye 1956)

Member #
    Liked
    1124 times
    45 acp
    Sekol and muddcatt54 like this.
    God wishes, the Devil expects.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    526 times
    I am a fan of both but chose .40 for concealed carry.
    It can be loaded with 135 grain rounds that approach 125 grain .357 loads to 180 grain loads the duplicate 185 grain .45 acp loads.

Member #
    Liked
    30867 times
    If you currently don't own either, get the .45. I could live without .40 easier than I could live without .45. Momentum is king, and 230 grains has got more of it. In fact, only .357 is superior to .45 ACP as a do-it-all round.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46204 times
    I think they will both get the job done just fine. Find a gun that fits you, your carry style, and feels right. What ever the caliber is, that is the gun I would go with. Personally I like the PT-145, 10+1 rounds of 230gr .45acp. The gun feels right in my hand, the recoil is a gentle push back, and I can stay on target with it very quickly and easily. It just shoots naturally for me.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32272 times
    I own and have carried all three calibers mentioned. I've settled on .40 S&W primarily.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7508 times
    I'm torn...I also like both cartridges. If you don't want to go 10mm, then it's a coin toss, realistically. You may or may not get a couple more rounds (depending on which firearm you decided to go with) with .40S&W and both can deliver impressive terminal ballistic performance - either 180gn JHP at over 1100fps (40S&W) or a 185gn JHP at 1200fps (.45ACP) will definitely get the job done.

I voted for .40S&W just to be contrary...and because I like my Beretta PX4 sub-compact...
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    4386 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    I think they will both get the job done just fine. Find a gun that fits you, your carry style, and feels right. What ever the caliber is, that is the gun I would go with. Personally I like the PT-145, 10+1 rounds of 230gr .45acp. The gun feels right in my hand, the recoil is a gentle push back, and I can stay on target with it very quickly and easily. It just shoots naturally for me.
    What he said, with one more addition. Choose the one you can shoot the best. I've found that I can't shoot the .40 as well as I can the .45.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Until recently, my two EDCs (carried OWB) included 9mm and 45 along with a 380 residing in my back pocket. Now it's just .40 cal IWB and my 380 in the pocket.

For years, a good friend and shooting buddy who is a retired LEO, always asked me when I was going to step up to a .40 cal insisting that I'd really like it. Last month I decided to give one a try. I saw a Kahr CM40 advertised for $230, bought it and hit the range. Without getting to in-depth, I'll just say that this little Kahr is fantastic, and after a few times at the range, I shoot it as well or better than the other calibers. It's 7oz lighter than my 45, and only 5oz lighter than my 9, but carried IAW it's much more comfortable than either.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links