.40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge? - Page 9

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • .40 S&W

17 33.33%
  • .45 ACP

34 66.67%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: .40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge?

Member #
    Liked
    2118 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Huh?

I don't get it... How does a bullet with similar ballistic performance to that of the .45 ACP, but with a smaller bullet and lower capacity settle the debate?

Honestly, I like .44 Special and it's obviously a good cartridge, but it doesn't settle any debate. If they had made that .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, or even .45 Long Colt, then I would at least get that it was pushing power over capacity, but .44 Special offers absolutely nothing over .45 ACP.

I know, I know... ".44 Special is better than .45 ACP because better sectional density and therefore deeper penetration" but I don't subscribe to the belief that deeper penetration = always better, especially when it comes to cartridges which already penetrate adequately, if anything, it's a detriment due to increased risk of collateral damage as a result of overpenetration.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Nothing wrong with the .40 S&W but my vote goes to the 45 acp. I have 2 40's and many more 45's.

Steve..........

Member #
    Liked
    26087 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    Huh?

I don't get it... How does a bullet with similar ballistic performance to that of the .45 ACP, but with a smaller bullet and lower capacity settle the debate?

Honestly, I like .44 Special and it's obviously a good cartridge, but it doesn't settle any debate. If they had made that .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, or even .45 Long Colt, then I would at least get that it was pushing power over capacity, but .44 Special offers absolutely nothing over .45 ACP.

I know, I know... ".44 Special is better than .45 ACP because better sectional density and therefore deeper penetration" but I don't subscribe to the belief that deeper penetration = always better, especially when it comes to cartridges which already penetrate adequately, if anything, it's a detriment due to increased risk of collateral damage as a result of overpenetration.
    MY opinion--and we all I think know how that goes!
    BUT-- IF I was of a mind to carry a large frame ,large caliber wheel gun then it would be either the 44 spl or the 45 Colt, not a 44 mag, 41 mag, or a 10 MM.
    all those do is give you more recoil, more muzzle flash and lot more probability of a shoot through and down range possible victims.
    Course i ain't no wheelie gun user anyway so my choice for such limited fire power would be one of my 1911 Officers or Defender size , I can reload those a lot faster.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2118 times
    Oh, I won't argue with you there. As far as wheel guns go for self-defense goes, anything more than .357 Magnum is excessive, and .44 Special/.45 Long Colt make excellent choices. (I myself chose a Taurus Judge Magnum as my Bedside Home Defense firearm a couple years ago, and it wasn't just for .410 Bore.)

I'm talking about the demotivational poster image macro which poses the .44 Special as the answer to the 9mm Luger vs .45 ACP debate, which I feel is ridiculous considering that .44 Special is very close to .45 ACP in terms of performance given their similarities in bullet weight, velocity, and energy foot-pounds, yet a .44 Special revolver is obviously going to hold less rounds than most .45 ACP Semiautomatic Pistols, so you're sacrificing ammo capacity for nearly identical performance.

Oh, and unlike the supposed equality between 9mm Luger, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP that folks are so fond of asserting these days, you don't need a very specific, overpressure load with a heavy for caliber bullet to achieve similar performance between .44 Special and .45 ACP. Just figured I'd get that out of the way before somebody felt the urge to argue that my argument against carrying .44 Special over .45 ACP somehow contradicts my decision to carry .40 S&W or .45 ACP over 9mm Luger which is "just as good" *swings arm in an upward arc* as the former yet holds more rounds in the magazine.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18781 times
    Be careful with the capacity argument. There are a whole lotta folk, m&p type folks, who curse large capacity - especially those offering a faster cyclic rate and/or trigger speed. They feel that by offering “spray and pray” that folks will get lazier with their marksmanship.
    NativeTexan and jwc007 like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30602 times
    Man, I hope ol' Elmer Keith don't have the net in Heaven. You .44 special bashers could be in BIG trouble.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    10341 times
    You guys are getting lost again. It ain't about the caliber/bullet, it is about the gun that shoots it. Between the .40, the .45 (both of them) and the .44 Special, the .40 S&W works in a smaller, thinner, lighter gun, and if you actually carry, that is a big deal. It is not about if you can CC a boat anchor, it is about do you want to do that day in, day out. My back gave up on the .45's a long time ago, and I love my Taurus Model 445 snubby, but is is huge, and heavy.
    NativeTexan, jwc007 and olfarhors like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30602 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    You guys are getting lost again. It ain't about the caliber/bullet, it is about the gun that shoots it. Between the .40, the .45 (both of them) and the .44 Special, the .40 S&W works in a smaller, thinner, lighter gun, and if you actually carry, that is a big deal. It is not about if you can CC a boat anchor, it is about do you want to do that day in, day out. My back gave up on the .45's a long time ago, and I love my Taurus Model 445 snubby, but is is huge, and heavy.
    Oh, well, dang, I guess I'll quit drooling on that Desert Eagle in .50AE down at the LGS. And, here, I thought it was the answer.
    Kevin Keith likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    10341 times
    LOL, you might need to hire a Bearer just to carry it, there Bwana.
    Kevin Keith and jwc007 like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    19833 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    In the .40's favor, and I don't own one, most Pistols so chambered, will be a bit lighter. If you want to compare apples to apples.
    The Glock 21 .45 with 13+1 capacity weighs in empty at 26.46 oz.
    The Glock 22 .40 with 15+1 capacity weighs in empty at 22.75 oz.

Load the G21 with 185 grain Bullets and the G22 with 180 grain Bullets, is the minor difference in weight really worth bothering with?
    olfarhors likes this.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links