.40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge? - Page 8

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • .40 S&W

17 33.33%
  • .45 ACP

34 66.67%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: .40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge?

Member #
    Liked
    26086 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Are we still talking about 40 vs 45? It’ll be another decade or so before we get enough kill data to properly argue this.

I spent a month on the trauma service back in early ‘87 and being in Savannah, we soaked up a lot of the southern I-95 corridor DEA/LEO traffic. This was before either the 40 S&W (1990) or the 357SIG (1994) was invented. Mostly we saw 357Mag, 45ACP and 9mm and 38 SPCL wounds; and even though the GSP (Ga State Patrol) was one of the first LEOs to adopt the 45GAP, this was before their time, too. This was just barely after the Miami FBI shootout of ‘86 and the 10mm/40S&W weren’t an idea in an ammo engineer’s head yet. And, well before the discussions which led to 357SIG.
    Indeed!
    Trauma doctors and surgeons at Grady Hospital are kin to MASH Doctors!
    I have been down there many, many times when every trauma room was full and Gurneys were lined up double row (Each Side) of the hallway leading to the trauma rooms.
    I am sure lots of people think I exaggerate about the number of dead and wounded that I have seen over the years in Hotlanta!
    hell they are on a roll again this year, IF Chicago will just slow down a little Hotlanta may catch them yet.
    its a bad sign when your number 1 and number 2 trauma centers go off line due to over crowding--all this of course in the city that's to busy to hate!!!
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    30874 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    KIA might want to rethink that name Killed In Action.
    HA! That was the first thing I thought when I saw my first Kia.
    NativeTexan and GreenWolf70 like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    6489 times

Only one answer to .45 vs. .40.

If .40 had been a good idea, John Moses Browning would have had it.

Of course, this is another 'not a caliber war' caliber war tread.
    Last edited by 230JHP; 07-07-2019 at 03:26 AM.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2005 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    If this ain't the post to put a cap on this thread, I don't know what is!
    Lomax, loudviking and jtg452 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1124 times
    The "caliber wars" are almost as old as the hills. The 45 has a long history going back to the Civil War when the cavalry needed a powerful handgun and Sam Colt came to the rescue. 45 ACP was largely an adaption of the 45 Colt to a semi-auto format.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...igins-history/

But then, the S&W 40 was an adaption of the 10mm. All-purpose? Maybe there is no such thing.
    Last edited by troutkiller; 07-07-2019 at 05:56 AM.
    God wishes, the Devil expects.

Member #
    Liked
    10340 times
    Hmmm.....I guess the .40 S&W was too manly for the FBI.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    26086 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    Hmmm.....I guess the .40 S&W was too manly for the FBI.
    Specially the lady agents!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30600 times
    I voted for .45ACP because it's what I've got. Truth be told, I doubt there's a dimes difference in the two and, frankly, due to the pistols and their sizes, I usually wind up carrying a 9x19 unless I'm carrying a revolver in either .357 magnum or .38 special.

These caliber discussions get redundant. I mean, I've been discussing caliber since junior high! Back then it was "the best deer rifle cartridge". It's the oldest argument there is concerning firearms.

.308 Winchester BTW.
    Last edited by NativeTexan; 07-07-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    Kevin Keith and jwc007 like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I voted for .45ACP because it's what I've got. Truth be told, I doubt there's a dimes difference in the two and, frankly, due to the pistols and their sizes, I usually wind up carrying a 9x19 unless I'm carrying a revolver in either .357 magnum or .38 special.

These caliber discussions get redundant. I mean, I've been discussing caliber since junior high! Back then it was "the best deer rifle cartridge". It's the oldest argument there is concerning firearms.

.308 Winchester BTW.
    Then you probably remember the Elmer Keith vs Jack O'Connor dust ups over rifle calibers through the years. Keith was a .33 caliber and up guy with heavy bullets, O'Connor was the champion of the .279 Winchester using plain ol' 130 grain bullets. I think particularly irritating to Keith was O'Connor insisting the .270 was plenty of gun for any animal in North America! Yeah, these discussions are as old as the hills but I still get a kick out of them!

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30600 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Keith View Post
    Then you probably remember the Elmer Keith vs Jack O'Connor dust ups over rifle calibers through the years. Keith was a .33 caliber and up guy with heavy bullets, O'Connor was the champion of the .279 Winchester using plain ol' 130 grain bullets. I think particularly irritating to Keith was O'Connor insisting the .270 was plenty of gun for any animal in North America! Yeah, these discussions are as old as the hills but I still get a kick out of them!
    Yes, I took "outdoor life" when O'Connor was writing for 'em. Neither convinced me as I'd already made my mind up that it didn't get any better than my grandpa's .257 Roberts.
    Kevin Keith likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links