.40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge? - Page 7

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • .40 S&W

17 33.33%
  • .45 ACP

34 66.67%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: .40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge?

Member #
    Liked
    48017 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    All I know is, during the dark days when Obama was in office, the ONLY major caliber that you could find anywhere was 40 cal. That by itself is a great reason to have a couple of them around, especially if you don't reload.
    For that very reason alone, I purchased two conversion kits going from 9mm to .40
    I was reading the other day about law enforcement going back to the 9mm, but they`re loading them with +P ammo. Smart move.
    We the People...

Member #
    Liked
    10573 times
    LOL, are they loading to the NATO standard?
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20837 times
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26463 times
    Quote Originally Posted by right2arms View Post
    The true story of why there is a switch to 9mm is that when we asked our NATO partners if they would like to switch to .40 or .45acp, the German counterparts kept loudly yelling NEIN! I think it's just that they only understand metric....

I personally prefer .45acp. I was spoiled by my Glock 30 purchased around 96 or 97 when they first came out. It was between that and the 29 (10mm) that was really calling me at the time, but one look at ammo availability and price helped make the decision. Still might buy a conversion barrel for her. Maybe two or three. That. 460 Rowland and. 45 Super looks interesting. Especially if hiking in bear country.
    ahh- lots of good reasons not to adopt a 40 or 45 acp (again) mostly being that its better to carry 500 rounds of 9 MM than 200 rounds of 45 or 300 rounds of 40.
    you put a hole in the enemy, don't really matter much past that as long as he/she is out of the game.
    same with the 223/556 VS the 308, a military person can only carry so much weight, better if that weight is in more (not larger ) ammo.
    Same as for logistics!
    rather have 10,000 rounds of 40/45 coming to you via a plane or 25,000 rounds of 9 MM on the same plane?
    WE have specialized calibers/weapons for special occasions.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    26463 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    All I know is the FBI announced locally they are bringing their academy here, a plus up of roughly 3,500 people.

Perhaps the FBI are simply trying to improve their hire/ passing ratio?
    I mean I hear that a passing grade of 55 and is considered more than adequate at the Alabama Academies--- (AKA Elementary school)???----
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    loudviking and jwc007 like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Member #
    Liked
    26463 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    They're moving the FBI academy from Quantico to A-La-Bama? THAT'S big news! I can see getting out of the cost and bustle of D.C., but why would they move to such a conservative, Bible-thumping state?
    well Rumor has it that the FBI is also going to the KIA as a duty car, and they are going to buy them direct from the factory for the agents.

Member #
    Liked
    10573 times
    KIA might want to rethink that name Killed In Action. It is almost as bad as Found On Road Dead.

Well, one thing they teach better here in Alabama is Football, by at least a point or two better than Georgia. On the other hand, maybe they are just getting as far away from Trump as possible, at least until the investigations are over.

From the FBI: https://www.fbi.gov/news/testimony/n...arters-project

And FBI Recruits coming to Redstone Arsenal: https://www.waff.com/2019/05/07/thou...nessee-valley/
    olfarhors likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19335 times
    Are we still talking about 40 vs 45? It’ll be another decade or so before we get enough kill data to properly argue this.

I spent a month on the trauma service back in early ‘87 and being in Savannah, we soaked up a lot of the southern I-95 corridor DEA/LEO traffic. This was before either the 40 S&W (1990) or the 357SIG (1994) was invented. Mostly we saw 357Mag, 45ACP and 9mm and 38 SPCL wounds; and even though the GSP (Ga State Patrol) was one of the first LEOs to adopt the 45GAP, this was before their time, too. This was just barely after the Miami FBI shootout of ‘86 and the 10mm/40S&W weren’t an idea in an ammo engineer’s head yet. And, well before the discussions which led to 357SIG.
    olfarhors likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    My EDC is usually 40 S&W, but depending on the situation and wind direction that changes.

Member #
    Liked
    7322 times
    Name:  696_poster.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  57.8 KB

Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links