.40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge? - Page 6

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • .40 S&W

17 33.33%
  • .45 ACP

34 66.67%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: .40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge?

Member #
    Liked
    11219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    I think the major reason was cost of ammo, reduced capacity in the like size weapon, improvements in ammunition effectiveness in the 9 MM, and certainly recoil could have been a factor.
    again I will revert to my normal advertisement and ask , why didn't they (FBI) just go with the existing 38 Super caliber, instead of building a totally new mouse trap?
    same frame size as the 9 MM, more power, same capacity as the 9 MM, wider range of projectile weights?
    OH that's RIGHT S & W developed the 40 didn't they?
    I am sure that wasn't a profit maker for them?
    Come'on you know the FBI is a bunch of women and sissies is the reason they went to the 9mm. They lost their Man Cards back under the tall criminal Comey. I had to throw that in, I was listening to one of Huntsville's PD complain about losing their new range and training facility. It seems that 2 years ago, when the FBI only had about 50 agents here on Redstone Arsenal, they donated $2M to HPD's new range and training facility that was under construction, with the proviso that the FBI could use the range whenever they needed (not a big issue with only 50 agents local). Then early this year the FBI released that they will have 3,500 additional agents moving to Redstone Arsenal and that they will be running their Academy here and training daily at the new HPD facility. So now the FBI will run the facility and HPD can ask for range time when there are openings.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    1578 times
    All of the current research says the 9mm is better than either the 40 or 45. And, is research says it, it must be true.

Now, having said that, if I wanted to make a choice between 40 S&W and 45 ACP, I personally would choose the 45.

If I were the bad guy, I wouldn't want to be hit by a 45, 40 or 9.

My .02
    Taurus G2C 9mm
    Really Old S&W .38Spl.
    S&W M&P Bodyguard 380
    NRA Member./GWCL holder.

"No one, anywhere, ever got something for nothing without someone, somewhere, getting nothing for something.

Member #
    Liked
    11219 times
    Don't get me wrong, I like the .45 Auto just fine, but the .40 will work in a smaller frame designed for the 9mm, making it smaller, thinner, lighter than a pistol designed around the .45 Auto. So, just from a carry perspective, the .40 S&W is a better choice, IMO. And the 9mm wasn't on this list of choices.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    238 times
    The true story of why there is a switch to 9mm is that when we asked our NATO partners if they would like to switch to .40 or .45acp, the German counterparts kept loudly yelling NEIN! I think it's just that they only understand metric....

I personally prefer .45acp. I was spoiled by my Glock 30 purchased around 96 or 97 when they first came out. It was between that and the 29 (10mm) that was really calling me at the time, but one look at ammo availability and price helped make the decision. Still might buy a conversion barrel for her. Maybe two or three. That. 460 Rowland and. 45 Super looks interesting. Especially if hiking in bear country.
    Last edited by right2arms; 07-04-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    Come'on you know the FBI is a bunch of women and sissies is the reason they went to the 9mm. They lost their Man Cards back under the tall criminal Comey. I had to throw that in, I was listening to one of Huntsville's PD complain about losing their new range and training facility. It seems that 2 years ago, when the FBI only had about 50 agents here on Redstone Arsenal, they donated $2M to HPD's new range and training facility that was under construction, with the proviso that the FBI could use the range whenever they needed (not a big issue with only 50 agents local). Then early this year the FBI released that they will have 3,500 additional agents moving to Redstone Arsenal and that they will be running their Academy here and training daily at the new HPD facility. So now the FBI will run the facility and HPD can ask for range time when there are openings.
    Don’t they send federal LEOs to Glynco, Ga anymore?

https://www.fletc.gov/glynco-georgia
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    32662 times
    Come'on you know the FBI is a bunch of women and sissies is the reason they went to the 9mm.
    Basically. https://work.chron.com/attorney-fbi-agent-27466.html

"The FBI has five entry programs that you must qualify for before it will consider you for appointment as a special agent: Accounting, Computer Science or IT, Diversified, Language and Law. While you don't have to be a practicing attorney to be qualified for the Law entry program, you do have to have a law degree."

I expect an announcement about transition to .25ACP any day now.
    GreenWolf70 and DeltaBravoKS like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    11219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Don’t they send federal LEOs to Glynco, Ga anymore?

https://www.fletc.gov/glynco-georgia
    All I know is the FBI announced locally they are bringing their academy here, a plus up of roughly 3,500 people.
    Last edited by GreenWolf70; 07-04-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3014 times
    All I know is the FBI announced locally they are bring their academy here, a plus up of roughly 3,500 people.
    They're moving the FBI academy from Quantico to A-La-Bama? THAT'S big news! I can see getting out of the cost and bustle of D.C., but why would they move to such a conservative, Bible-thumping state?
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2400 times
    I have both .45 Auto pistols and .40 S&W pistols, but I carry the .40 S&W guns because they fit in a smaller, thinner, lighter frame. I don't load, or buy, .40 S&W for high velocity, I usually run 155-165 grain XTP or Gold Dots or Golden Saber pushed to just over 1,000 fps. They work well inside a house for defense, little to no flash or concussion (and yes, I fired a .40 S&W in a closed room to check it out).

The Kahr is a better pistol than the Shield, just saying. I have been carrying a Kahr CW-40 for many years now and it is one of my favorites for EDC. My Ruger SR-40 Compact is actually easier to carry than my Glock 23. Personally, if I am carrying a single stack auto pistol, I prefer the .40 S&W over a 9mm, simply because I only have 7 shots. The Kahr CW-45 and the Shield .45, are thicker and heavier than their .40 S&W counterpart.

BTW, I would not double tap with a single stack mag pistol. I would rather aim each shot for max effect.

JMHO.
    I dislike Kahr for reasons I'd rather not get into. They seem to be high quality, well-made firearms for a very reasonable price, but they're just not for me.

@jwc007
    I really love the look of those Witness pistols, but sadly all of the newer ones have those ugly picatiny rails on them that completely throw off the look of the gun. If I could find an older model or EAA imported some without the rail then I would get one of those for sure because I honestly prefer a DA/SA Hammer-Fire to these DAO/SAO Striker-Fire pistols. In fact, thanks for reminding me of the Tanfoglio/EAA Witness line of pistols, because I'm going to keep my eyes open for them and see if EAA ever started importing ones without the rail. If I can find a Witness 10mm without a rail for a good price, then that would honestly be my first choice.
    Kevin Keith and jwc007 like this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    11219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    They're moving the FBI academy from Quantico to A-La-Bama? THAT'S big news! I can see getting out of the cost and bustle of D.C., but why would they move to such a conservative, Bible-thumping state?
    I only know what they announced, and why the local PD is so upset with the FBI. State of the art ranges with 2 lanes 600 meters deep, computer controlled targets and scoring, and a couple of classroom buildings.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links