.40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • .40 S&W

17 33.33%
  • .45 ACP

34 66.67%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: .40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge?

Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin thunder View Post
    I know it's a bit morbid, but the guy who shot the people at that public works dept. killed just about everyone he shot. He used a .45 ACP
    Yeah a bit morbid, but where they got hit and how many times they were shot, most likely mattered more than the caliber, but with out this info we will never know. Also how long before they got EMT'S to them.
    Last edited by stuz92; 07-02-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    "All right, they're on our left,they're on our right,they're in front of us,they're behind us.They can't get away this time."
    "You don't hurt 'em, if you don't hit 'em"
    Col. Chesty Puller,1St Marine Div.(1950)

Member #
    Liked
    219 times
    I'd choose the .45 because I'm more familiar with it and I'm a 1911 junkie. I know the .40 S&W is a fine round but I've never shot one. I prefer larger calibers overall, a bigger hole lets more blood out and more air in.

Member #
    Liked
    4155 times
    Either would be fine, however, I gave the nod to the 40 thinking if you got a Glock 23 357sig and 9mm conversion barrels can provide some versatility.
    rollin thunder likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3287 times
    I chose 40 because I got one but like both (shot a 1911 in 45). I say flip a coin on it if you don't have a preference?
    Life is full of give and take. Give thanks and take nothing for granted!

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7225 times
    .45 has been putting things down for a long time..........................
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Member #
    Liked
    501 times
    I've got autos in all 3 calibers you mention. I prefer. 45 acp. It just shoots better for me. Plus...I like that big a$$ boolet.
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    30955 times
    I've always been preferential to the 45 acp for just about everything - self defense, home defense, target practice, everything. I don't even own a 40 cal but I think I'm going to buy a full sized one here soon just so I can play around with it and maybe even start reloading for it. I always thought it was kinda odd that there was no +P designation for the caliber, but I guess the +P would be the 10mm. I've never been able to get away from the 45 caliber thing, you look at that muzzle end of the barrel and I can imagine it looks like you could park a truck up there, when you're staring down it from so close.

Inheriting my dad's Sig P226 has given me a new appreciation for the 9mm as well. I think with the right loads, you're very well armed with that caliber. I could see getting more 9mm guns sometime soon.

I've taken my 45acp 1911 Officer model to the front door when the doorbell rang at 1:00am, and I've also found myself reaching for my model 66 once or twice as well. I think a 40 cal would be about the same.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2710 times
    I do not have any .40's and have 9mm or .45's. I use to do gunsmithing work. .40 has been squeezed into 9mm framed pistols and it beats them to death. Most of the designs including the Glock have accelerated wear over 9mm, and guns in .45 are in designs scaled for it.

For SD, a reliable platform is the foundation, and cartridge is second. 1911, OSS, 625-8, and Witness are all scaled around a large frame for .45 ACP. Why do you think Law Enforcement dumping the .40? wear and cost are prime factors.

You can debate cartridges all you want, but since the introduction of the .40 S&W into 9mm frames, wear and tear has been a noticeable factor.

Maloy

Member #
    Liked
    2189 times
    Wow, lots of great information all around to take in here.

@jonrjen
    That's actually a really good point. A .40 S&W pistol can be easily converted to 9mm Luger or .357 SIG at minimal cost, essentially making it like buying multiple firearms at once, and that's a value that I can really appreciate, so in a single post you've strongly swayed me in the direction of .40 S&W over .45 ACP.
    Rest assured, whatever I ultimately choose, you'll hear about it as soon as I get my new gun, which will most likely be sometime are Christmas since that's when all the sales will be.

@maloy
    It is to my understanding that the S&W M&P series was designed with the .40 S&W cartridge in-mind since it's their cartridge, which was at the time of the pistol's design, the leading duty cartridge of Law Enforcement agencies across the United States, so the M&P40 was built specifically for the .40 S&W and the M&P9 actually has the same slide and frame as the M&P40, it's just the barrel and springs that are different. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that.)
    Also, I'm not really too concerned about wearing out the pistol since it's highly unlikely that I'll ever shoot it enough to do so, and even if I do, the M&P series is backed by S&W's Lifetime Service Policy.
    jonrjen likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    1316 times
    You certainly have gotten a lot of interesting replies.

The information and personal experiences are varied and cover a lot of very excellent points. And it comes down, I think, to just exactly what you, as the individual buying it, really want and find comfortable.

I have owned and shot extensively both calibers and (though I gave my last 40 to my son for his EDC) for the conditions you specify, I would opt for the 40. Felt (or more particularly, "perceived") recoil, ability to shoot it well, and the ease of carrying it would certainly be factors. Weight of a daily carry was significant to me for some while, and still is. Magazine capacity while at the same time maintaining a form factor that is conducive to concealed - or even open - carry is important to me. The size/weight/shape of the firearm has a significant bearing on ease of carry, draw, and presentation of the gun - and that is important to me too.

I haven't gotten into the caliber conversions, but that presents an appealing proposition. To have the ability to use alternate calibers that may be available when the primary choice is not may well become an important factor - -in a gun you are familiar and competent and well-practiced with.

You certainly cannot go wrong with a Smith & Wesson. There are many good guns on the market, and the months between now and the purchase date might well be spent trying the various choices at rental-ranges and with some shooting friends who have the pistols of your interest.
    Tuco_Ramírez likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links