.40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • .40 S&W

17 33.33%
  • .45 ACP

34 66.67%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: .40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge?

Member #
    Liked
    669 times
    Firstest with the mostest so .45 if you can hit with it. but lead on target, what can you carry, round capacity... That's not always the largest caliber.
    .40cal is the largest caliber i can shoot fast multiple rounds accurately, without fatigue. Now I'll carry a .45 1911 or .357 revolver but after a reload rapid fire accuracy goes down compared to me shooting my 9mm or .40 high caps.
    Lead on target is the name of the game.
    CaptainMorgan likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    I carry both (but only in a bag on the way to/from the range). The poll was 3-.40 to 4-.45 and I had a chance to even it up, but I didn't--I went with the .45. My .40 is a PT740 which is super concealable, so if you're wanting more easily concealed, I'd go with a small .40. However, it sure packs a punch when you shoot it and my .45 (24/7 G2c) is a little easier on the hand. It's like many of the guys said above, go what works for you. The .45 is an American classic and won't ever be wrong!
    GhostHorse and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2210 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    I think they will both get the job done just fine. Find a gun that fits you, your carry style, and feels right. What ever the caliber is, that is the gun I would go with. Personally I like the PT-145, 10+1 rounds of 230gr .45acp. The gun feels right in my hand, the recoil is a gentle push back, and I can stay on target with it very quickly and easily. It just shoots naturally for me.
    Currently I've got my sights set firmly upon the Smith & Wesson M&P series. I haven't decided exactly which model to get, (Full-Size, Compact, or Shield) but I'm leaning towards the Shield since it seems to be the most carry-friendly. The difference between the M&P40 Shield and the M&P45 Shield seem to be pretty much negligible, with the .45 being slightly larger in overall dimensions.
    I'm kind of leaning towards the .45, but I'd like to handle both first before I decide which to get.

I'm curious about the balistic differences between the two. They both seem pretty close to each other when comparing loads with similar bullet weights, but some say that the .40 S&W is capable of higher energy output. Unfortunately, my attempts at research have been thwarted at every turn due to bias, inadequate testing, and the fact that apparently nobody can just compare the two without tossing in the 9mm Luger somewhere, thus muddying the waters with lots of irrelevant data.
    Honestly, I just can't seem to find any decent tests between the two in which the testing conditions are actually fair/equal, the ammo tested is comparable, the testing is actually extensive/scientific, and the test stays on point without deviating towards prooving or debunking that 9mm Luger is equal to both as the FBI claims. Also, I don't care which one works best on cinder blocks/bricks, 2 Liter bottles/8oz cans of pop, water jugs, pine boards, or any other such inanimate objects which I currently have no need nor reason to shoot. The only inanimate objects I'm willing to accept are things like Ballistics Gel or maybe certain objects I might actually have to shoot through! Seriously, I'm aware of the old saying about how it's unlikely one will ever be attacked by blocks of gel, but I'm honestly more open to the possibility of being attacked by extraterrestrial lifeforms of a gelatinous consistency than I am of being attacked by containers of various beverages. I know that Balistics Gel is merely a tissue simulent, but until the day comes in which convicted registered sex offenders are put to good use as a testing medium for ballistics, it's the best we've got. In fact, Ballistics Gel is probably the closest thing to the sort of human sludge that typically requires the use of a firearm in self-defense.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7515 times
    I went with the .40 for a simple reason: You can probably catch a sale on LEO turn ins at some gun dealers. I also like the .40 for its basic size and fire power over the .45. It is a caliber and gun that I have kind of acquired a new interest in, and am finding that I like it a little more than a similar sized 9mm. Maybe just me, but I just never caught on to the .45acp round.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Desperado's Big Bang Theory:
    The theory that a "big bang" from a handgun, along with a perpetrator receiving a gunshot wound, is the best way to end violent personal or property crimes.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7578 times
    check ballistics101.com. They've got some decent charts for comparison of different ammo brands. The .45ACP generally comes out ahead of the .40S&W with similar weight bullets and decent loads (Double-Tap/Buffalo Bore/Cor-Bon) but not by any tremendous margin. Generally the heavier bullet at decent velocities provides good energy at the business end.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19428 times
    I voted 45 ACP. I currently own 3 pistols chambered for 40 S&W; I own 6 pistols chambered for 45 ACP. I have a gun safe filled with 40 S&W which likely last forever as I rarely shoot the 40. Two of my three 40s have been converted to 357 SIG and another bought outright in 357 SIG because I’m more accurate with that flatter trajectory round.

So - 45 since I have more guns and magazines for it than any other.
    jonrjen, jwc007 and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    If i wanted maybe cheaper practice rounds and maybe a couple extra rnds in the Mag.(depending on the firearm), I'd go 40 otherwise 45.

Thanks to the designs of hollowpoints these days i don't think there's enough difference in these rounds to matter.

If you can shoot both in the firearms your interested in , and then decide.

I grew up with the 45, learned to shoot with a 1911, if you go with the 45 i'd suggest getting a 1911 , they are great to shoot , plus you can customized it as you wish. I'll most likely never own a 40, kinda stuck with 9mm, .380 and 45 in my semi-autos.
    "All right, they're on our left,they're on our right,they're in front of us,they're behind us.They can't get away this time."
    "You don't hurt 'em, if you don't hit 'em"
    Col. Chesty Puller,1St Marine Div.(1950)

Member #
    Liked
    48037 times
    I know it's a bit morbid, but the guy who shot the people at that public works dept. killed just about everyone he shot. He used a .45 ACP
    We the People...

Member #
    Liked
    2210 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    I went with the .40 for a simple reason: You can probably catch a sale on LEO turn ins at some gun dealers. I also like the .40 for its basic size and fire power over the .45. It is a caliber and gun that I have kind of acquired a new interest in, and am finding that I like it a little more than a similar sized 9mm. Maybe just me, but I just never caught on to the .45acp round.
    In my area, .40 S&W is apparently more popular than it is elsewhere, and it appears that both State and local Law Enforcement is still using .40 S&W, ergo I haven't seen any local sales on Police Trade-in .40s. I still honestly regret my decisions to pass of the fantastic sale of unissued Detroit PD M&P40s with 3 magazines and night sights a few years ago, not to mention the subsequent sale/rebate on the M&P45 Shield which would have only cost me $150 after rebate. I doubt that I'll see deals that good again anytime soon, but I hold out hope that some good deals will come this year around the Holiday Season.

@Stuz92
    As much as I would love to own a 1911, I'm currently seeking a moderately priced carry gun and the 1911 tends to be too expensive and too heavy for that role.
    Smokewagon likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    19135 times
    Lots of great impute offered in the previous post, so I will offer a bit of a different angle for you to consider. I own more .40sw firearms than I do .45ACP. In part because I like the recoil feel of the.40sw round. I say recoil, but in truth it is more of a snap to the wrist.

But also because depending on the manufacture of your firearm choice with the availability of conversion barrels you can inexpensively change a .40sw firearm to either 9mm or a .357Sig capability. Most conversion barrels run in the $130-$150 price range. The firearms use the same magazine for both the .40 and 357Sig round. Most will require the swap over to a 9mm magazine to shoot the 9mm cartridge, but not all so. Glock is one of the most versatile when it comes to conversion barrel swaps. The SW MP is also very adaptable when it comes to conversion barrels...or at least they were back when I equipped my to do so.

So why did I answer more along the conversion capabilities of the .40sw? Back a few years ago there was an extreme ammunition shortage with people lining up looking for the more popular caliber of rounds. Conversion barrels not only offer you the ability to fire different calibers of ammunition, but to also use the same firearm in shopping for 3 different calibers of ammunition in the event that we ever (and we will) face another ammunition shortage.

Some of the .45ACP firearms can be converted to fire 10mm, but these conversion barrels are more likely to be found only for GLOCK pistols. Rule of thumb on conversion barrels is that they can be ordered to fire smaller calibers of ammunition than what the firearms was intended to fire, not larger.

I'll be interested to hear which caliber you choose to go with.
    Yissnakk and Tuco_Ramírez like this.
    I have often heard that "Change is Good". If this is a fact, why does history tend to repeat itself so often. I'm guessing that it is so we can learn from our mistakes that change is good?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links