.40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge? - Page 12

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • .40 S&W

17 33.33%
  • .45 ACP

34 66.67%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: .40 S&W vs .45 ACP - Which is a better all-purpose SD cartridge?

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30894 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    My reason to this date has been a rather shallow one. I don't want to add another caliber to the menu, although I do have some of the "fixins'" having collected a small number of .40 caliber cases. I may enter the realm at some point, especially since the police surplus offerings have become very attractive...and I have yet to own a Glock.

Basically I am covered already with the 9mm and the 45 ACP.
    My reason, exactly. I'd have to get more brass, buy a mold, buy dies, work up a load, all that, and for what? .40 is no better than .45 or 9mm as a defensive round IMHO. I don't even consider a .40 in the .357 magnum class, either. .357 Sig is NO .357 magnum for that matter.

I'm pretty well fixed in my self defense rounds, now. I have 2 .45ACPs, I have 3 9x19s. I have 3 .357 magnums that I consider suitable for self defense. I have 3 .38 specials.

Nope, I'm good.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    My reason, exactly. I'd have to get more brass, buy a mold, buy dies, work up a load, all that, and for what? .40 is no better than .45 or 9mm as a defensive round IMHO. I don't even consider a .40 in the .357 magnum class, either. .357 Sig is NO .357 magnum for that matter.

I'm pretty well fixed in my self defense rounds, now. I have 2 .45ACPs, I have 3 9x19s. I have 3 .357 magnums that I consider suitable for self defense. I have 3 .38 specials.

Nope, I'm good.
    So what's Taco's next poll gonna be about? .357 S&W mag vs. 357 Sig vs .38 Spl vs. 38 Super vs .380 vs. 9mm? Are there any other 9mm size rounds we can throw in there?

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30894 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    So what's Taco's next poll gonna be about? .357 S&W mag vs. 357 Sig vs .38 Spl vs. 38 Super vs .380 vs. 9mm? Are there any other 9mm size rounds we can throw in there?

.38 long Colt?

Oh, I know! 9x18 Mak! I have one of those and I even carry it now and then.
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    .38 long Colt?

I guess if someone ever tries to tell me that 9mm is the best, I'll ask them "which one"!
    NativeTexan, olfarhors and jwc007 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7367 times
    .38 long Colt?

Hey!

Don't be making fun of the .38LC.

With a 150gr bullet, in it's original heel based bullet configuration, and a full case of Goex FFFg, it produces numbers in the .38 +P range. Been there, seen the chrono readings myself.

It didn't run into issues until they converted it to modern mostly inside the case bullets. That robbed it of powder capacity since they didn't lengthen the case and bullet weight since they made the bullet diameter smaller.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19427 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    I actually watched that video prior to posting this poll. I like Paul Harrel, but his non-committal ("You be the judge.") approach can sometimes be a bit off-putting, especially in a head-to-head comparison in which the whole point is to determine which is better. I mean, it's nice that he just shows you the two and what they can do then grants you the freedom to draw your own conclusion, (Something which would have made his reviews of the Taurus Judge much better) but a simple, polite, "Personally, I prefer [insert cartridge here]." would be welcome.
    You do know that the YouTube folk who DO declare a preference get crucified by the disagreers. By keeping an objective evaluation and letting the viewer act as judge and jury Harrel has built a fan base and patreon account quicker than most. He mentions in a few of his reviews that the patreon supporters allow him to purchase particular guns to review head-to-Head.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    10594 times
    LOL, sounds like this thread has run its course and it is time to close it up.
    olfarhors likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32607 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    LOL, sounds like this thread has run its course and it is time to close it up.
    I can't agree more. It's run off the road and out in the weeds more than once. Thread closed.
    GreenWolf70 and jwc007 like this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links