The Future of Wheel Guns
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: The Future of Wheel Guns

Member #
    Liked
    256 times

The Future of Wheel Guns

Interesting and somewhat technical read about the future of revolvers vs. semi-autos. https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...er-glock-63382

The author used a generic Taurus revolver picture which is what initially caught my attention although the article is about all wheel guns and not specifically Taurus.

Member #
    Liked
    7775 times
    Interesting article.

Not to start a caliber war, but I still think a comparison of the .357 magnum round versus the 9 mm round would be very interesting.

As for me, I think the 3" barrel .357 magnum is one of the most versatile handguns available for general use.

But, with that said, if it comes to concealed carry, I'll take my Ruger LC9S any day of the week with a few spare loaded magazines. It is so compact, so easy to shoot, and so easy to reload when empty when compared to a revolver.
    Desperado's Big Bang Theory:
    The theory that a "big bang" from a handgun, along with a perpetrator receiving a gunshot wound, is the best way to end violent personal or property crimes.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11201 times
    During my testing last year of 9mm vs 357 in a short barrel snubby, I found the 9mm recoil impulse was worse than 357 in a small revolver - different recoil impulse and painful. In fact I received permanent shooting hand nerve damage from a Taurus 905 shooting standard pressure 115grn 9mm. 357 accuracy was better, but that is partially due to me being used to handling 357 recoil impulses.
    That being said I see a need for revolvers for many years to come for several reasons, and I am always a sucker for a shiny wheelgun.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    256 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    During my testing last year of 9mm vs 357 in a short barrel snubby, I found the 9mm recoil impulse was worse than 357 in a small revolver - different recoil impulse and painful. In fact I received permanent shooting hand nerve damage from a Taurus 905 shooting standard pressure 115grn 9mm. 357 accuracy was better, but that is partially due to me being used to handling 357 recoil impulses.
    That being said I see a need for revolvers for many years to come for several reasons, and I am always a sucker for a shiny wheelgun.
    I totally agree with you. As I scroll through the many emails I get I scroll past the 8 - 9 round slim 9mm's but will always stop to look at a wheel gun especially since I am craving a 3" Combat Magnum these days.
    slong115 and silverstring like this.

Member #
    Liked
    31793 times
    He left out a couple of important factors.

A revolver can switch ammo - say, from FMJ to JHP - faster and easier than a semi. Open cylinder, push ejector, slap in speedloader of whatever you want. That's easier than pull the cylinder, empty the chamber, load a new magazine, rack the slide, pull the magazine, top it off, reinsert magazine. If you go from crowded spaces to wilderness a lot, that matters.

Also, the .38 can fire a heavier bullet. I believe in momentum. When I carry .38, I often carry 158 grain JHP of semi-wadcutters. That's a heavier bullet than any commonly available 9mm.

The list of handgun rounds that have achieved the best reputation for stopping bad guys includes a .38 round - the FBI load. It includes no 9mm rounds. In fact, the 9mm failed to stop Moro tribesmen, and it was the cause of complaints by our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. Granted, those are FMJ, but modern 9mm wonder bullets depend on fancy hollowpoint design. Hit a bone or other obstacle first, and all that design work has gone to pot. Then you're comparing a 115 or 124 grain slug to my 158 grain bullet, and I know which I'd prefer.

Another advantage of the .38 is wadcutters. Very accurate, and very damaging in tissue. And because the revolver doesn't need recoil to function, you can use rat shot. I often carry my non-View with three rounds of shot for snakes, followed by two rounds of FMJ for coyotes. Try that with a 9mm.

He's right that 9mm has cost advantages, and capacity. I have a couple of 9mm handguns, and I will never part with any of them. They have their purpose. But when it comes to carry, I carry .38 more often. It's got several very real advantages the author overlooked.
    Desperado and silverstring like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    4123 times
    FTA'
    Unfortunately for the .38 Special, there are onlytwo non-revolver-type firearms I know that can chamber and shoot it. These are the Model 1866 rifle manufactured by Uberti in Italy and imported by Navy Arms, andthe full-size Coonan 1911-style .357 Magnum
    pistol which shouldn’t really count (because it is primarily chambered in .357 Magnum) but it functions flawlessly with .38 Special rounds.'

Marlin and many other lever, Taurus (now discontinued) and many other pump action rifles......I think this writer is not a gun guy. If so, he is an ignorant one.

Last edited by Trotline; 06-22-2019 at 07:33 AM.
    jtg452 and Peacemakr40 like this.
    https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/si...gpic4401_1.gif
    "Humans more important than hardware."

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33254 times
    Revolvers are just classic. They've been around for a very long time, and they'll continue to be around for very long time. Aesthetically, I find them more interesting than semiautos.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7432 times
    Have more revolvers than semi-auto's...........................
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    I think we all know and can agree that not just semi auto handguns but all semi auto weapons are just a fad, a flash in the pan and will not last long at all.
    we are going to see law enforcement, military others return to the revolver weapons in the very near future.
    I can see it all now the soldiers carrying 25-30 Speed loaders on them , or 50-60 speed strips ( you know cause they are flat and you can carry more of them).
    all the competition will be revolver type wepaosn etc. the Olympics will be dominated by the Smith model 36 and it will sweep the competition.
    I know I am trying o figure out how to weld the barrels to the frames of my semi autoes and make them kind of like Thompson Contender clones!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31458 times
    It's funny, I've seen articles as far back as the late 80's, asking the question "Are wheelguns dead?". The answer is, of course not. There will always be a place for revolvers in shooting, self defense, just about any application you choose. And, if liberals get lucky in 2020, we may want to have a few revolvers around, because our semi-autos will be on the endangered list.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links