Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Range Practice

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33254 times

Question Range Practice

At what distances do you typically practice with your defensive handguns, unrested?
    Most often for me is seven and fifteen yards. Sometimes we'll go out to twenty-five, fifty, and even one hundred yards for grins. Of course those longer ranges are in the get away ranges, unless there are extenuating circumstances in a defensive situation.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    3865 times
    For me some depends on where I'm at. One range only has stationary targets at 10yds.. The other I mostly shoot at 7yds, 10yds, 15yds.. On a few occasions I will move the target all the way down to 25yds when I'm feeling frisky.
    Smokewagon likes this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    Normally from 7 yards to 12-15 yards as far as normal self defense practice.
    I do have a routine where i fire rapid, draw and fire at 5 -7-10 yards. and depending on weapon I routinely shoot at 25 yards with my better 1911, Tanfoglio and CZ.
    I don't just stand and pound the target time and time, i practice mag changes, weak hand, rapid fire, many, many triple taps.
    I try to practice a lot of head shots cause I carry them sissy 380 and 9 MM calibers.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11201 times
    New guns - I generally shoot off hand starting at 5 yards and slowly work my way back to 20 yards. Stay at 20 yards until I get to know the new friend. Then if I am considering it as a carry weapon - I begin draw-present-fire drills moving between 3 targets at 7 and 15 yards (15 yards is my target distance for Church defense), offhand and one handed left then right. Once I can keep shots in a 8 inch circle on rapid fire it is time to add it to my rotation.

Old friends - I will do some 15 yard drills, and if I think they are going to cooperate I will move out to 25 yards and beyond or drill on my steel range.
    Smokewagon likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    1102 times
    For defense usually 5, 7, & 10 yards.
    More than that I'd only be shooting if the bad guy was shooting at me, or some other extenuating circumstance.
    I only shoot at 25 yds if a friend challenges me to a contest.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2542 times
    I usually start at 5, then move back to 7, 10, 15, 25. I'm just enjoying shooting, not really practicing for any bad guys or any specific situation.
    Smokewagon and Car_Doc like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    374 times
    If I go to the outdoor range I use the 10 & 15 yard lanes. If I go to the indoor range I will generally shoot from 5 & 7 yard distances with a few 10 yard as the target starts to come down the rail at me. One of the range instructors will usually operate the target rail for me.
    Smokewagon likes this.

Self-Defense Education, Training & Legal Protection
    For Responsibly Armed Americans

David

Member #
    Liked
    896 times
    I walk it out.
    I start at 15yds . As soon as i get a good sight picture of POI i move out to 25yds. I do most of my shooting at this range. I move out to 50yds knowing this is as good as it gets and finish up. If I'm shooting my 6" Blackhawk i move out to 100yds because it can do it.
    Smokewagon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4640 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    At what distances do you typically practice with your defensive handguns, unrested?
    Most often for me is seven and fifteen yards. Sometimes we'll go out to twenty-five, fifty, and even one hundred yards for grins. Of course those longer ranges are in the get away ranges, unless there are extenuating circumstances in a defensive situation.
    Same, mostly seven and fifteen. Seven is more point-shoot, fifteen is aimed.
    Smokewagon likes this.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    For defensive handgun practice at the range I spend 80-85% of my time at 7 yards, the rest of the time is spent on distances of up to 25 yards. Now if I'm target shooting then I will practice at different distances up to 50 - 60 yards as that is the furthest distance I can shoot well without optics or brace/bags.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Smokewagon likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links