Is it enough: .380 ACP for self-defense?

View Poll Results: Is it enough for self-defense?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's good enough for primary carry.

74 77.89%
  • Maybe, it's at least good enough for backup.

20 21.05%
  • No, it's not enough to be carried at all.

1 1.05%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree266Likes

Thread: Is it enough: .380 ACP for self-defense?

Member #
    Liked
    2119 times

Post Is it enough: .380 ACP for self-defense?

I've seen a lot of threads on the subject of what is or isn't enough for self-defense, complete with a multitude of responses from folks from all different walks of life, but it never really comes to any sort of conclusion, it just goes on until everyone grows weary of it, then it fades away until the next time the subject is raised anew.

So I've been thinking that a poll would be a better way to keep track of the popular/majority opinion on the subject, not to mention one which could actually reach an apparent conclusion.

My idea is to do a weekly poll on the subject, with common self-defense cartridges for semiautomatic pistols, as that seems to be the particular cartridge type which generates the most debate.
    However, this first one will be a sort of test to see whether it generates enough interest to merit posting another poll next week. Depending on the results, it might become a monthly poll or this may be the one and only, so please leave a vote and feel free to post comments on your opinion if you'd like to see more polls in the future.

I thought about starting at the bottom with .25 ACP and working my way up, but frankly I think the fact that pretty much nobody produces firearms chambered in .25 ACP anymore speaks volumes about how the general public feels about it's viability as a self-defense cartridge, and to a lesser extent the same goes for .32 ACP, so we're going to start with .380 ACP.

Please note that this isn't a question of whether or not you personally carry the cartridge, but rather if you feel that it is effective enough in the role of self-defense to merit being carried in general.

Please exercise restraint and refrain from arguing with other posters in this thread. This thread isn't intended as a debate for or against the .380 ACP cartridge, everyone has their own opinion and some folks have a bad habit of presuming that their own is better informed than those of others. In this thread, all opinions are welcome and we do not arrogantly presume the aptitude of other posters.
    Last edited by Tuco_Ramírez; 06-19-2019 at 05:50 PM.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    2385 times
    I have no issue with 380. My main carry is a Bersa Thunder Plus 380.
    Of course I do carry 9mm in colder weather. I live on the Gulf Coast so its warm here 8 months out of the year.
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Member #
    Liked
    2119 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brojohn View Post
    I have no issue with 380. My main carry is a Bersa Thunder Plus 380.
    Of course I do carry 9mm in colder weather. I live on the Gulf Coast so its warm here 8 months out of the year.
    I hear that, my primary carry weapon has been a Walther PPK/S in .380 ACP for years and I recently bought a Ruger LCP for Summer Carry/Backup.

If all goes according to plan than I'll be getting a .40 or a .45 for Winter Carry this year, but not because I doubt the .380 ACP's ability to perform in cold weather or through heavy Winter clothing, but rather because I know I can carry something heavier in cold weather, so I figure it makes more sense to carry something full size with lots of firepower.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2005 times
    I don't have a problem with .32, .25, or even .22 and .17. Whatever you got and whatever you're comfortable with. Maybe if your polls are a success (measured in participation, I guess) please consider swinging back and picking up these smaller calibers. It will be interesting to see if your number of respondents stays the same over the weeks or if it fluctuates.

Member #
    Liked
    7421 times
    Yes and no.

Yes - if the shot placement is such that it will incapacitate the attacker.
    No - if the shooter is using "spray and pray" tactics, and is not trying for a sot to the vital areas.

Also, I think that the firearm shooting these projectiles should be comfortable to shoot based on size. Unfortunately, I have seen some of these .380 ACP firearms that were so uncomfortable to shoot, at least in my hands, that I would not shoot them in a defensive situation.

Again, if you are comfortable shooting the firearm in this caliber, and are trying to shoot into a vital area, then I have no problem with this caliber. But if the firearm is not comfortable to shoot, and you can't or won't aim it for a shot to the vitals, then it is just like a cap gun for defensive purposes.
    Desperado's Big Bang Theory:
    The theory that a "big bang" from a handgun, along with a perpetrator receiving a gunshot wound, is the best way to end violent personal or property crimes.

Member #
    Liked
    7388 times
    Many carriers mainly carry a .380 . Back a yr or two ago a woman was attacked from behind and used a .380 and killed her attacker . I know several that carry .380 and nothing else .

Member #
    Liked
    3967 times
    Your confidence is what matters. IMHO, 9mm Kurz (ie 380ACP) is easily powerful enough to take down multiple assailants, if necessary.
    Sekol, dogchild, 230JHP and 2 others like this.
    https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/si...gpic4401_1.gif
    "Humans more important than hardware."

Member #
    Liked
    21413 times
    anyone who says no isn't being realistic. If you offered to shoot them with a 380, how many takers do you think you would get? Will it stop a 275 lb man high as a kite on drugs? Nope. a single 380 shot will not stop them unless you're lucky. Same can be said of the 45 ACP, 45 colt, 10mm or 454 casull. Since almost no one carries a single shot, that's not really relative. If you throw enough rocks or golf balls at an attacker, they will eventually stop.
    Modern science has made the .380 ACP a very capable round for self defense. I would have no problem relying on my wife's Bersa as a primary EDC firearm. I have actually carried it twice already using the same holster as my PT709.
    Sekol, dogchild, 230JHP and 3 others like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    186 times
    I think .380 is enough as well as .32acp. I dont like the thought of determining if something is effective by what you are willing to take a shot from. Airsoft guns hurt like hell. I wouldnt volunteer to be shot by one and I also would carry one for self defense.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    230JHP likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4620 times
    I carry 380 a bunch... When my lcp is too big I carry a 2 shot 22 mag derringer. Stick in the ear, belly, face, whatever they're going to get off you.
    230JHP, jtg452 and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links