Is it enough: .380 ACP for self-defense? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Is it enough for self-defense?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's good enough for primary carry.

74 77.89%
  • Maybe, it's at least good enough for backup.

20 21.05%
  • No, it's not enough to be carried at all.

1 1.05%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree266Likes

Thread: Is it enough: .380 ACP for self-defense?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20818 times
    You Texas folks don't have the huge weather and temperature swings that we have up here in the northern Michigan that may determine what is a good defensive CC. Winter time dictates that it be easy to operate with gloves on while summer time can you hide it in your shorts. Saying that I have a Ruger LCP II .380acp that I may carry alone in the summer and sometimes as a backup in the winter. But most of the time I will be carrying one of my .45acp 1911's officers or commander sizes or my .38 special M-85 ultra light as a primary/backup.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Member #
    Liked
    2121 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    Uh oh! Now I see the beginning of a 9 iron vs. 380 iron discussion/argument! What have you done?
    Yep, better lock the threads right now, mods. Oh wait, we're not on a terrible forum with negligent moderators who will lock a thread preemptively based on the mere possibility of an argument breaking out due to the crippling fear of the possibility that they may actually have to do their jobs.

Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gbusmech View Post
    You Texas folks don't have the huge weather and temperature swings that we have up here in the northern Michigan that may determine what is a good defensive CC. Winter time dictates that it be easy to operate with gloves on while summer time can you hide it in your shorts. Saying that I have a Ruger LCP II .380acp that I may carry alone in the summer and sometimes as a backup in the winter. But most of the time I will be carrying one of my .45acp 1911's officers or commander sizes or my .38 special M-85 ultra light as a primary/backup.
    I have an aunt who lives in Michigan and grew up in Pennsylvania, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

The Winters have been horribly inconsistent in recent years in my area, 2017 was rather mild with otherwise unseasonably warm late-Spring-like weather on some days, and in 2018 it was mild right up until January, then became extremely harsh practically overnight.
    It was actually around that time that I decided it would be a good idea to get myself a Winter Carry Gun, since I was already wearing so much clothing even when indoors that I could comfortably pocket carry my otherwise heavy 25oz (loaded) PPK/S with wood grips. I figure that if I can pocket carry something that heavy indoors on a cold Winter day, then I can definitely carry something larger on my person outdoors, so why not? I might need something more powerful anyway, in case I get attacked by a Polar Bear or a Yeti.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    3644 times
    [QUOTE=gvaldeg1;5432221]Take a look at this. It's a great article based on actual shooting data. It answers a lot of questions and opens a lot of eyes.

[url]https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3644 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gvaldeg1 View Post
    Take a look at this. It's a great article based on actual shooting data. It answers a lot of questions and opens a lot of eyes.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alte...stopping-power

The only actual shooting data or chart is the one posted every Monday on the local Chicago News. A couple weeks ago there were 58 people shot in the city of Chicago over a 60hr period. Of those only 8 ended up as fatalities! Now tell me how effective any pistol is.

I have to agree with those that state I don't want to be shot period. Caliber doesn't matter. Hell, they practically have to tie me down in the hospital just to put in an IV! I am not a hero, you start shooting and I'm hitting the deck.

Besides, in most attacks you won't even know you've been shot let alone pull a weapon and return fire. The BG isn't going to announce their intentions.
    Sekol and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    10385 times
    Personally, I carry a lot of things at different times, for different reasons, and in different areas. In Chicago, I might want a M2 .50 Cal MG on a roof mount. But in reality, even a .22 Short is better than nothing, and as my father would tell me, thousands of hogs been killed with a .22 Short.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    2121 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    The only actual shooting data or chart is the one posted every Monday on the local Chicago News. A couple weeks ago there were 58 people shot in the city of Chicago over a 60hr period. Of those only 8 ended up as fatalities! Now tell me how effective any pistol is.

I have to agree with those that state I don't want to be shot period. Caliber doesn't matter. Hell, they practically have to tie me down in the hospital just to put in an IV! I am not a hero, you start shooting and I'm hitting the deck.

Besides, in most attacks you won't even know you've been shot let alone pull a weapon and return fire. The BG isn't going to announce their intentions.
    I know that some may argue that the two are one and the same, but...

A lot of people seem to forget that the objective of a handgun in self-defense is to stop the threat, not kill the threat, ergo the most relevant statistics are those which monitor how many times a handgun successfully ended a violent confrontation, not those which put the assailant in the morgue.

I know, I know... Supposedly there exists some small percentage of individuals who are so extremely intoxicated/inebriated that it dulls their senses and so desperate for a fix that they'll continue fighting even after being blasted full of holes, but I think it's important for folks to realize that such cases make headlines because they are extraordinary occurrences which greatly differ from the norm. Sure, they happen, but not nearly often enough to warrant concern, much less preparation.
    Honestly, if you're an average, blue collar, law-abiding citizen and you're going to bother preparing for the possibility of a violent confrontation with a fearless meth-head, then you might as well prepare for the possibility of a violent confrontation with a tiger who escaped from the zoo while you're at it, because the two are about as likely to occur as the other for your average, blue collar, law-abiding citizen.

As someone who has had the displeasure of being around folks who are high on a variety of narcotics, I can safely say that the majority of them are more likely to be extremely frightful/paranoid rather than fearless. Only once did I ever encounter someone who was violent while high, but even then it never escalated beyond him making threats, and considering how quickly he jumped from being friendly to violent, he could have just as quickly jumped to terror had things escalated to the point of fists being thrown, much less bullets.

At any rate, the point is that your right to self-defense is not a license to kill by any means, nor should any good-natured, law-abiding, and most certainly not God-fearing man base their choices for self-defense with the lethality of their choice being a primary concern.
    GhostHorse and mawguy like this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    2578 times
    I would not want to stand in front of a .380 to test the efficacy of the round.
    Car_Doc, Czechbikr and mawguy like this.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    17488 times
    Carry a lcp2 all the time, think 380 is more than good enough, i'll carry my g2 9mm when clothing permits, but more and more i like the lcp2 and a couple of spare mags
    coopercdrkey likes this.
    "Let's get on our knees and pray. I don't know to whom. Is there a patron saint of ballistics?"-Adam Savage
    Its never wrong, it just hasn't been fixed right yet. -TSH

If Guns Kill People. I guess Pencils misspell words, Cars drive drunk & Spoons make people fat.....

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10534 times
    I have a Kimber Micro 9 which is only a small fraction bigger and heavier than the Micro .380, (which I also own), but which is relegated to fall / winter carry. The .380 is my summer pocket gun. (What about Spring, you ask... We have no Spring in Florida. And very little Fall now that I think about it...)
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30626 times
    Originally Posted by gbusmech
    Only time I ever wear gloves down here is when I'm riding my motorcycle in January.
    studenygreg and gbusmech like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links