Would you buy a gun with known problem?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Would you buy a gun with known problem?

Member #
    Liked
    4571 times

Would you buy a gun with known problem?

There is a Glock 42 on Armslist that is listed at $275 with added night sights and 6 magazines. The listing says it had a frame issue that has to be repaired by Glock that causes the trigger not to reset properly. Glock only shows a one year warranty and I'm just wondering if it's worth the deal.

Member #
    Liked
    1737 times
    Sorry, don't know nothing about Glock.

I have, however, purchased (at least) 3 Taurus guns that were subject to the settlement and it didn't deter me from buying them. Of course with the Taurus guns, they work just fine whereas it sounds like yours doesn't work.

Interesting as well, that the Glock only has a one year warranty. I thought people were bashing Taurus when they switched, for a short time, to a one year warranty. The way people were bashing, I'd have thought Glock (and the other big brands) didn't have anything so "wrong" as a one year warranty. Imagine that!
    loudviking and Yissnakk like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1137 times
    I've bought guns "with problems" when I knew how to cure the problem. It depends on the problem, however.

A S&W with a buggered up extractor; a pair of 45's with feed/fire.eject issues, and a Remington 22 rifle with a REALLY-screwed up extractor.

Still have the Remington, it is a "beater", but it is also a fun-gun.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10070 times
    If it is not resetting properly, that sounds like a connector out of tune issue. See it all the time with the Polymer80 and Glocks. You can bend the connector taking the gun apart. Go to the Ghost site and look at their video on how to tune a connector. And I would make a lower offer. If the owner is too lazy to send the gun back to be fixed and then sell it, you should make him pay for it.

I have gone over several G43s, including my own, and the triggers have all been terrible. I always replace the OEM connector with a base Ghost model. Cleaning up the rest of the pistol is simply buffing the the trigger bar, safety disconnector button, the frame rails, the feed ramp and barrel hood. Any Glock after market trigger shoe will fit the G42/43, just have to put it on the G42/43 trigger bar. If it is a gun you want, it is hard to imagine any issue it could have that you either could not fix yourself, or it would be so bad that Glock would fix it under warranty. These are easy guns to work on.
    Last edited by GreenWolf70; 06-10-2019 at 09:52 PM.
    loudviking and Yissnakk like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    2137 times
    Would I buy a gun with known problems? Not only NO but HELL NO. There are too many good guns out there to be sadling yourself with a potential disaster. Now I like a bargain as much as the next guy but somewhere and sometime common sense has to kick in and you just have to walk away from a "good deal".
    ShtnBlanks.22 and Taurus1965 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1051 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mark38090 View Post
    There is a Glock 42 on Armslist that is listed at $275 with added night sights and 6 magazines. The listing says it had a frame issue that has to be repaired by Glock that causes the trigger not to reset properly. Glock only shows a one year warranty and I'm just wondering if it's worth the deal.
    If I were just looking for a good used Glock, I think I'd keep on searching.

If I was really into fixing up broken Glocks, it might be worth to me just in parts, but I'd still have to see what the 'frame issue' is up close before I'd buy. If it turns out to have a manufacturing defect, I'd probably send it back to Glock.

Since striker fired pistols with plastic frames aren't high on my wish list. I'll keep my current focus on saving up for another nice looking old Dan Wesson revolver or maybe a nice used Kimber compact.

Good luck with your decision.
    brojohn likes this.
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7088 times
    I get" trouble guns" a lot, generally only needing a tear down and very deep cleaning and
    then they perform great.....................
    See if you can talk the seller down more, then get going on fixin it!
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7430 times
    I'm in the camp of "If I can get it for the right price and am fairly certain I can fix it" frame of mind. I've bought an AK configured for 10 round single stack mags that someone had tried to convert to accept standard 30 round mags but hadn't gotten it finished correctly. I got it for a great price, corrected the conversion, and it works like a champ. Did the same thing with an SKS that had a damaged bolt and firing pin as well as a shoddy job done on a SGWorks bullpup construction, and a shotgun that wouldn't fire reliably.

If its a connector issue or something similar, it wouldn't be a difficult fix if you are good with your hands but as others have said, haggle down a bit more. See if you can't get 'em to around the $200 mark.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    2326 times
    For me....it would depend which gun it is and what the issue is, yes.

But the one you list and the issue with it- no.
    Desperado and Taurus1965 like this.
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Member #
    Liked
    7170 times
    If I know the fix will make the gun worthwhile, I'll go for it- but the price has to be right. If I have to fix it, then the costs of fixing it is getting figured into the price as far as I'm concerned.

Bought a S&W revolver many years ago that somebody had screwed up while trying to do a 'trigger job'. They messed with the notches on the hammer and you could drop the hammer when it was in single acrion mode by just pushing it forward with your thumb. I dickered the guy down to $200, went home and picked up another hammer (that i had picked up for a 6 pack from a guy customizing his similar gun a couple years before) and had a local smith put it in the gun for $50.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links