Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Berns type revolver holsters

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19369 times

Berns type revolver holsters

Ran across a mention of the Berns “front break” holsters during some reading. Seems they DO fill a significant niche for getting your gun outta your holster and pointed down front in a hurry. Anyone here use these or anything akin to them? They do seem to be revolver specific.

https://revolverguy.com/fighting-lea...kfront-part-i/
    777Driver and YOT like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    22061 times
    Those were the cutting edge in holster technology.....in 1960. Also known as the Berns-Martin. They are revolver specific as they rely on molding the holster around the rear of the trigger guard. Fantastic retention and security from a snatch attempt from behind you. Still pretty fast but you have to learn to draw forward, not up. These were on every cop's belt back in the day. The switch to autos killed it.
    daytonaredeye and YOT like this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    7508 times
    The Berns-Martin style and the Hoyt style holsters are great revolver holsters, even today.
    Have one holster for my GP100 3" that takes points from both into consideration. Great holster for EDC.
    daytonaredeye likes this.
    Desperado's Big Bang Theory:
    The theory that a "big bang" from a handgun, along with a perpetrator receiving a gunshot wound, is the best way to end violent personal or property crimes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8231 times
    Last time I saw one was on an episode of 1- Adam 12. I think my dad still has one from the 60's.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    olfarhors likes this.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    26489 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Ran across a mention of the Berns “front break” holsters during some reading. Seems they DO fill a significant niche for getting your gun outta your holster and pointed down front in a hurry. Anyone here use these or anything akin to them? They do seem to be revolver specific./
    I use something remotely similar, the guys at my Gun Range actually gave me this neat lil holster!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    JimmyA likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    22061 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 Forever View Post
    Last time I saw one was on an episode of 1- Adam 12. I think my dad still has one from the 60's.

On Adam-12 it should have been a Safety Speed Clamshell. LAPD issued those with their 6" K-38's.

45 Forever and Old_Sp5 like this.
    Definition of clip

2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8231 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    On Adam-12 it should have been a Safety Speed Clamshell. LAPD issued those with their 6" K-38's.

You are right! My mistake!

When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    This is what my agency carried into the early 1980s when open carry holsters were issued for our gunbelts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ste.../303149418129?

Stelzig was a holster and leather shop in downtown Houston and closed in about 1989 moving to west Houston. Their craftsmen made made countless suede lined holsters for police officers in the Houston metro area. The company has a long, long history back into the 1800s.
    Last edited by Old_Sp5; 06-16-2019 at 10:10 PM.
    glenwolde likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19369 times
    Seems they were developed to facilitate quick revolver draw on bear i the northern climes. Nowadays all I see are huge revolvers in chest or crossdraw rigs. No one use’em anymore?
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    22061 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Sp5 View Post
    This is what my agency carried into the early 1980s when open carry holsters were issued for our gunbelts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ste.../303149418129?

Stelzig was a holster and leather shop in downtown Houston and closed in about 1989 moving to west Houston. Their craftsmen made made countless suede lined holsters for police officers in the Houston metro area. The company has a long, long history back into the 1800s.
    I remember them well. I spent most of my life in Houston. Still see an occasional revolver.....last one was a Model 66 in a female sargent's holster.
    Old_Sp5 likes this.
    Definition of clip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links