Orange cty corrections officer shoot self in leg during training
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Orange cty corrections officer shoot self in leg during training

Member #
    Liked
    3294 times

Orange cty corrections officer shoot self in leg during training

Don't know what kind of handgun, I found a link that might say what's issued but can't open the link with my computer because it's a newer version of excel to open it. (newer than 97)

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/corr...unty/956211750

and

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...v5EeH6Ul2-57DE

Member #
    Liked
    26133 times
    yep had a Georgia officer shoot himself a week or so ago in a training accident.
    Could have happened but I swear in 32 years I never remember a Firefighter cutting himself with an axe while training?
    maybe we should think about arming police with fire axes?
    DeltaBravoKS, pegasus and Lomax like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32300 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    Could have happened but I swear in 32 years I never remember a Firefighter cutting himself with an axe while training?
    Doesn't mean it hasn't happened though.
    DeltaBravoKS and olfarhors like this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20298 times
    Firemen are allowed to carry only single shot bolt action axes.
    It has drastically reduced accidental slice and dice incidents.
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.
    The Average American Now Complains More In A Week Than
    People Living Through The Black Plague Did Their Entire Lives

Member #
    Liked
    4389 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Don't know what kind of handgun, I found a link that might say what's issued but can't open the link with my computer because it's a newer version of excel to open it. (newer than 97)

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/corr...unty/956211750

and

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...v5EeH6Ul2-57DE
    The file just lists types of lethal and non-lethal weapons, not brands.

And if you're looking for an alternative to Microsoft Office apps, you might look at Open Office. It has a different look from Microsoft but does all the same things.

Apache OpenOffice - Official Site - The Free and Open Productivity Suite
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    10392 times
    yep had a Georgia officer shoot himself a week or so ago in a training accident.
    No, not with an axe, but I have seen plenty of firemen knock themselves out with a loose hold on the hose, or was it just bacon grease on their hands, hard to remember.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    849 times
    Back in my cop days, whenever we had to qualify on the range I would wear my vest. Other officers would ask me why I was wearing it and I simply told that that the odds of me getting accidentally shot at a range where lots of officers were shooting multiple weapons was probably far greater than my chance of getting shot on the street. I won't say that police officers are more unsafe than civilians but carrying a gun every day (this was before Michigan became far more friendly for civilian concealed carry) made if far more likely for police to be involved in negligent discharges. Knew 3 cops who had NGs in my 4+ yrs. Only one was on-duty at the time and he was unloading his weapon while seated in the patrol car. The other two were both at home when their incidents happened. The 3 officers were on 3 different departments, too.

Only knew one civilian that had an NG and I was standing right next to him when it happened. He was my buddy and we were about 17 yrs old at that time. We were squirrel hunting and he was chambering a round in a lever-action .22 rifle while wearing gloves and suddenly "BANG!" Luckily his weapon was pointed down-range when it fired. That shook us both up pretty good and he was always extremely safe in his weapons handling after that.
    olfarhors likes this.
    Scott USMC 1969-1973/BTPD 1975-1979

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30646 times
    Well, you can bet it's a striker gun with no external safeties. But, we all know, safety is between the ears, so you don't need no stinkin' thumb safety, right?

I'm dumb enough I rather prefer my DA hammer guns....or revolvers.
    slong115, olfarhors and jtg452 like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    2013 times
    If you do cut yourself with an axe, it creates one heck of an axehole!

Don't axe me for any more...I have plenty of them. I'm kind of a smart-axe.

Member #
    Liked
    849 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Well, you can bet it's a striker gun with no external safeties. But, we all know, safety is between the ears, so you don't need no stinkin' thumb safety, right?

I'm dumb enough I rather prefer my DA hammer guns....or revolvers.
    Amen! I have mentioned in other posts that it is not that I don't trust striker-fired weapons with no safeties but that I don't trust ME with them. Being a fellow 'revolver guy', I just feel safer carrying revolvers or DA autoloaders.

I don't know if there is any available data comparing self-defense shootings vs negligent discharges but if the NG's don't outnumber the self-defense shootings, I am fairly sure that their numbers would be 'competitive'.

Whenever I read about guys working on their carry weapon's striker-fired trigger to lighten the pull, I cringe and think to myself that there is no way in Hell I would ever do that.
    NativeTexan likes this.
    Scott USMC 1969-1973/BTPD 1975-1979

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links