Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Orange cty corrections officer shoot self in leg during training

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30613 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slong115 View Post
    Amen! I have mentioned in other posts that it is not that I don't trust striker-fired weapons with no safeties but that I don't trust ME with them. Being a fellow 'revolver guy', I just feel safer carrying revolvers or DA autoloaders.

I don't know if there is any available data comparing self-defense shootings vs negligent discharges but if the NG's don't outnumber the self-defense shootings, I am fairly sure that their numbers would be 'competitive'.

Whenever I read about guys working on their carry weapon's striker-fired trigger to lighten the pull, I cringe and think to myself that there is no way in Hell I would ever do that.

Gawd. ain't THAT the truth! I figure if they can't handle a 4 lb mushy trigger, they need a 1911 with TWO safeties, one on the grip and one at the thumb. Or, just learn to shoot DA. It ain't THAT tough. I learned on the best training gun possible for this, a DA revolver. What I lack in grey matter for carrying guns with no safeties, I make up for with mad DA shooting skillz.
    slong115 and jtg452 like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    26102 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    No, not with an axe, but I have seen plenty of firemen knock themselves out with a loose hold on the hose, or was it just bacon grease on their hands, hard to remember.
    yea me too!
    almost everytime It was the result of a poorly (Or no training ) Engineer that had way to much pressure on the hose line.
    when you see three Firemen get lifted off their feet its kind of a sign of to much pressure!---LOL
    I was a Water Supply officer with the FD in my later 4-5 years after we got Large Diameter Hose and hydraulics was just kind of my thing well before then, I swear some of the Engineers there were just pitiful and many had been Engineers for many years as well.
    course IF you can't multiply or divide then likely you can't work out formulas>
    what can I say hiring requirements kind of went down the tube about 1980.
    GreenWolf70 and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    26102 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacher39 View Post
    Firemen are allowed to carry only single shot bolt action axes.
    It has drastically reduced accidental slice and dice incidents.

TRUE!
    but then again the real Far Truck (Ladder truck) has several high capacity Gasoline saws for use!
    and the ever popular big thingy that mashes stuff really good, also known as the Hurst Power Rescue Tool, can't recall any Farman mashing his finger either?
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2007 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    yea me too!
    almost everytime It was the result of a poorly (Or no training ) Engineer that had way to much pressure on the hose line.
    when you see three Firemen get lifted off their feet its kind of a sign of to much pressure!---LOL
    I was a Water Supply officer with the FD in my later 4-5 years after we got Large Diameter Hose and hydraulics was just kind of my thing well before then, I swear some of the Engineers there were just pitiful and many had been Engineers for many years as well.
    course IF you can't multiply or divide then likely you can't work out formulas>
    what can I say hiring requirements kind of went down the tube about 1980.
    Staying with this theme, I'm guessing there was quite a bit of "pressure" in that "tube" as well...
    olfarhors and GreenWolf70 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    20278 times
    He was a corrections officer.
    Maybe he was correcting himself.
    The Average American Now Complains More In A Week Than
    People Living Through The Black Plague Did Their Entire Lives

Member #
    Liked
    26102 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacher39 View Post
    He was a corrections officer.
    Maybe he was correcting himself.
    Yes!
    I thought that was apparent by the Badge he was wearing?????
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Well, you can bet it's a striker gun with no external safeties. But, we all know, safety is between the ears, so you don't need no stinkin' thumb safety, right?

I'm dumb enough I rather prefer my DA hammer guns....or revolvers.

I was on our academy range going through a low light shooting class when the officer next to me discharged his Beretta 92 into the concrete walkway adjacent my right leg...I was hit be shrapnel from the bullet...we were doing movements from target to target...it can happen with any handgun...it's the knuclehead carrying the weapon.
    Smokewagon and GreenWolf70 like this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32285 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Sp5 View Post
    I was on our academy range going through a low light shooting class when the officer next to me discharged his Beretta 92 into the concrete walkway adjacent my right leg...I was hit be shrapnel from the bullet...we were doing movements from target to target...it can happen with any handgun...it's the knuclehead carrying the weapon.
    I fully agree with that last statement. When I got my first CHL, now known as LTC, a guy in the class had just finished a course of fire. While still standing at the firing line listening to the instructors directions, a shot goes off from his pistol missing his foot by just an inch or two. First, he loaded his pistol with more rounds than instructed, but fired the correct amount. Next, finger was on the trigger with it pointed down. This happened fast, as the instructor was telling everyone to keep muzzles pointed down range, and about to tell them to keep the actions open for visual inspection of clear.

Not that it makes any difference, the pistol was of Colt manufacture. An old .380.

This student was not allowed to complete the course, and was ushered from the range. Knucklehead.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    2007 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    I fully agree with that last statement. When I got my first CHL, now known as LTC, a guy in the class had just finished a course of fire. While still standing at the firing line listening to the instructors directions, a shot goes off from his pistol missing his foot by just an inch or two. First, he loaded his pistol with more rounds than instructed, but fired the correct amount. Next, finger was on the trigger with it pointed down. This happened fast, as the instructor was telling everyone to keep muzzles pointed down range, and about to tell them to keep the actions open for visual inspection of clear.

Not that it makes any difference, the pistol was of Colt manufacture. An old .380.

This student was not allowed to complete the course, and was ushered from the range. Knucklehead.
    Did you ever see the guy again? Situations like this make me wonder if the guy gave up guns, blamed someone else for his mistake, or learned from it and takes it more seriously than before.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32285 times
    I hope he did learn something from it. But no, never saw him again. This is a small town I live very near to, and if he had made news, I'm sure I would have known it.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links